The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your PRE-73?...
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Mix, be gentle, done on a laptop in Reaper.

Peace
Illumination
Coolness...Like the sound of his voice on that mic.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Mix, be gentle, done on a laptop in Reaper.

Peace
Illumination
...nice lil' quick-mix man...all it needs are the background singers...sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
Coolness...Like the sound of his voice on that mic.
...so did the client...he's requested the mic for his next tracking session...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vault View Post
Actually you're wrong on this point. Most people here aren't familiar with a U 47 or a C12 or 251. Are you aware of where you're posting?
Cranky Angry Poster Central? heh

Bitchy and Arguementative.com?? heh heh

No? OK then,

Ever heard the beatles or frank sinatra? OK. Then you're familiar with a U47. Along with the U87, arguably the "most heard" and "most imitated" vocal mic of all time. Between the two of them, they've kind of got pop/rock music from the last 50 years covered..

If you STILL think you've never heard one, than perhaps it's you that's on the wrong forum. heh heh It's an instantly identifiable sound for the majority of engineers.

And FYI, it's not low-enders who pay me to work. And why on earth would you feel like your posts threaten me? Unless of course you mistook me for MJ and are goading him again. That's probably it......
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
..."LOW END THEORY"...I will try to get a tube mic that is more popular/familiar in this forum as a "control reference"...but in the same price range...possibly.
OK. Well, that's the easy and safe way, but better than nothing, and AOK for me. You could also put up a 414B-ULS. Or an SM7.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
OK. Well, that's the easy and safe way, but better than nothing.
...it never stops...
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...it never stops...
Nor do your backhanded jabs.

If your engineer has the goods like Illacov suggested, what's the downside to throwing it up to hear the differences? Where's the harm? What's the downside? To the outside world, it just looks like you don't want your CM6 in the same room with a U47 or comparable mic..... The possible upside is, you might walk away knowing that the difference is so small, it's not worth the extra $11.7k, and Stellar stock will go thru the roof. I have been there, and it's exhilarating - TOTALLY worth the effort IMO. I just can't figure the downside, unless you care to reveal it.

I'm just calling it like I see it. Sorry if that offends you.

I also said either a 414 or a SM7 would be OK too even though they are decidedly different than a LDC tube mic.....or are you just LOOKING for something to bitch about? If it's that, I'm cool with that too....
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Her Dr Bill - How about sending one of your MJ modded 1050's for the shootout?

Also, do you have shootout files comparing the MJ modded 1050 with the MJE-K47h on the same source? I really am curious about the difference between those two mics.

Thanks, bro.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Her Dr Bill - How about sending one of your MJ modded 1050's for the shootout?

Also, do you have shootout files comparing the MJ modded 1050 with the MJE-K47h on the same source? I really am curious about the difference between those two mics.

Thanks, bro.

I've only got one, and I'm afraid that I'm hanging on to the MJ1050 on this end. Hope to be using it soon! thumbsup Next time appropriate, I'll try to put up the K47H on vocals with the MJ1050 for you.

I'll have to look thru some notes and see if I have those two together at the same time. I kind of doubt it because I had pairs of the K47H and only a single 1050. Also, my main directive was to put them up and compare against the crown jewels, and therefore, I wasn't really thinking of comparing ONE MJ mic against ANOTHER MJ mic. I do have a lot of "in my mind" thoughts about his different mics, and I've shared with you before that even though they use the same capsule, they sound quite different due to headbaskets and circuit topologies.

It's a pity I didn't have it on the lugo session, as we had both female/male vox and a 67 and Wagner 47 and U87 along with the K47H and adding M's 1050 would have been a killer shootout. I had the modded 460, but that mic sounds a lot different to me than the 1050 although "theoretically" they have identical electronics and MJ mods them the same way from the best of my recollection. If the headbasket is the ONLY difference, then IMO, the headbasket may be one of the most important aspects of a mic.

At that big studio, I had the K47H on the FET platform, and the 1050 on the LDC Tube platform, so they didn't get used together there either.

I wouldn't have put a 1050 up for drum OH's as I only had 1, and I don't think I put it on Ac Gtrs. Man, the more I think about it, the more I think I didn't have them together at the same time on the same source, but again, I'll pull out my notes after Christmas and check. The 1050 belonged to Brad C and I didn't have it as long as the other mics. I wish I'd had longer to test, and more musicians as well....

What did you want to hear it on? Vocals? If so, I'm 99.9% sure I won't have that comparison.

Remind me if I forget.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
...What did you want to hear it on? Vocals? If so, I'm 99.9% sure I won't have that comparison.

Remind me if I forget.
Yep, vocals. I'm curious how the tube and transformer alter the response of the capsule.

I wonder if MJ would consider sending a modded 1050 for the shootout? I would think it would make a good "control" mic, since it's so popular around here, and it's purported to have a rather neutral, unhyped response.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Ever heard the beatles or frank sinatra? OK. Then you're familiar with a U47. Along with the U87, arguably the "most heard" and "most imitated" vocal mic of all time. Between the two of them, they've kind of got pop/rock music from the last 50 years covered..
well, if you wanna dig up Frank and see how he sounds on this new Stellar mic or your MJ mic, then I guess we'd have something to compare it to.
But I doubt he'd sound too good after all these years...

saying we've heard a U 47 or a U 87 because we have a radio or cd collection, and using THAT as a reference on a new mic purchase?
With a completely different singer, chain, room, etc.?
That's a bit laughable isn't it?

You must have INSANELY GOLDEN ears if you can hear Frank on a recording, then compare that to ANY modern singer, on ANY given mic you have currently, and be able to discern if it sounds "like a U 47", solely from listening to a Frank record.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Time for this thread to end...

Too many posts that are out of line
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search