The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your PRE-73?...
Old 17th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
mhs2xs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Ha Ha sounds very familiar here!!! I dare not mention the words microphone or preamp without my wife reaching for a saucepan!!!
As long as we have some money, mine is ok with it..within reason. That's why I'll probably be a low end fanatic for the rest of my days because, on some stuff, I refuse to pay hundreds of extra dollars for a badge. My disgust grew even more radical after the whole Telefunken/Apex ordeal. It does make it easy if Dennis will keep spending his money first and weeding out all the bad apples
Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 18th December 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 

Blue-Balling !!! Now there's a concept !! But seriously ... It's just mics and gear porn ... Not porn heh
Old 19th December 2010
  #33
Lives for gear
I meant, uh, I meant hitting us with one of these:

http://www.synthtopia.com/images/Blue_Snowball.jpg


Old 19th December 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Audio Child's Avatar
 

Considering the CM6 but how would it compare to an AT4047 ?
Old 19th December 2010
  #35
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Considering the CM6 but how would it compare to an AT4047 ?
...I like the 4047 (my favorite AT mic)...
...the CM-6 is a bit less of a "character" mic than the 4047 which has a very distinct voicing...the CM-6 may be a bit more versatile for vocals, very balanced and not hyped, but it's a personal preference...rather than make a direct comparison, I'd prefer to say the CM-6 is an equally competent tool, and an exceptional value considering the price...if you want a tube mic to add to your mic closet, this mic easily compares to those that sell for twice the price...very similar to the $700 Advanced Audio CM-47, but with a EF86 tube circuit, rather than the CM-47's 6072 circuit...it favors a U67 type voicing as opposed to a U47 type, while I don't mean to imply that either is a substitute for the originals...
Old 19th December 2010
  #36
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...very similar to the $700 Advanced Audio CM-47, but with a EF86 tube circuit, rather than the CM-47's 6072 circuit...it favors a U67 type voicing as opposed to a U47 type, while I don't mean to imply that either is a substitute for the originals...
Thanks for all the info you're providing on this mic. So just to be clear on the last statement, you're saying the CM-6 (not the CM-47) sound is closer to a U67?

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I like the 4047 (my favorite AT mic)...
...the CM-6 is a bit less of a "character" mic than the 4047 which has a very distinct voicing...the CM-6 may be a bit more versatile for vocals, very balanced and not hyped, but it's a personal preference...rather than make a direct comparison, I'd prefer to say the CM-6 is an equally competent tool, and an exceptional value considering the price...if you want a tube mic to add to your mic closet, this mic easily compares to those that sell for twice the price...very similar to the $700 Advanced Audio CM-47, but with a EF86 tube circuit, rather than the CM-47's 6072 circuit...it favors a U67 type voicing as opposed to a U47 type, while I don't mean to imply that either is a substitute for the originals...
You know. I'm pretty fcuk'in confused at this point.

What with all these descriptors like "character", "distinct voicing", "more versatile", "equally competent", "similar to", "favors a U67 (sic) voicing as opposed to a U47 (sic) type" - (its U 67 and U 47 - you know how precise those "Germans" are right? but I digress). Sounds like a boatload of equivocating bull**** to me. Based on what you've written before, I don't know if you're saying the U 47 or the U 67 is brighter? I may get slagged off as a gear pimp, but I do put up professionally recorded samples comparing my work to the classics.

Can you supply samples of your new found love against the classics? That would be a whole lot more informational than a thousand colorful words.

Oh fcuk, I must be sleep walking - because I'm not supposed to be here!
Old 19th December 2010
  #38
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
Thanks for all the info you're providing on this mic. So just to be clear on the last statement, you're saying the CM-6 (not the CM-47) sound is closer to a U67?
Thanks!
...the CM-47 exhibits a bit more low mids and a subdued top-end, where the CM-6 has more upper mids and more sheen on the top...both mics will be in our upcoming shootout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
What with all these descriptors like "character", "distinct voicing", "more versatile", "equally competent", "similar to", "favors a U67 (sic) voicing as opposed to a U47 (sic) type" - (its U 67 and U 47 - you know how precise those "Germans" are right? but I digress). Sounds like a boatload of equivocating bull**** to me.
...pretty funny coming from the guy who coined the phrase, "Neumann-esque"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I may get slagged off as a gear pimp, but I do put up professionally recorded samples comparing my work to the classics.
...aren't you the same guy that sent me a bunch of frantic emails asking me not to pressure you into submitting one of your modded mics for a shootout against Jim at JJ Audio here on GS?...

...what's your purpose on this thread?...do you have something constructive or relevant to offer up?...

...anybody else smell "nervous"?...

...people need to ask themselves, why did this guy come out of "retirement"?...it can't just be about this silly insignificant "eBay mic", can it?...
Old 19th December 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Michael_Joly's Avatar
 

hah. That is a classic passive-aggressive, innuendo-laden comment of the type you're famous around here for kid. Innuendo and speculation, I'm not sure which prevails with you.

But yes, both are a whole fcuking lot less expensive to dispense than hiring top engineers, top vocalists, top studios and top mics to make a point.

But you know what? I still use my ears as my primary sense - not printed words - to tell me what something sounds like.
Old 19th December 2010
  #40
Gear Head
 

holy ****e, what an A-hole MJ is.
with a capital A.

I keep reading new things on different threads every minute, and every minute he comes off worse and worse.

Is he drunk?
Did his meds just wear off?
Or maybe his manic-depressive 15 year old is mad at daddy and posting under his name?
Really, can he come off like more of a A-Hole right now?

If this is really him, I'm amazed he's had a business his long.
Old 19th December 2010
  #41
Gear Head
 

"But you know what? I still use my ears as my primary sense - not printed words - to tell me what something sounds like."

so did kidvybes ..he used HIS ears, to tout a mic that HE likes.
Why do you feel so threatened by that?
Old 19th December 2010
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
toine6's Avatar
Just ordered an X-tra Large bag of popcorn.

Old 19th December 2010
  #43
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

...and we now return you to our regular broadcast, already in progress...
Old 19th December 2010
  #44
Gear Maniac
 

Stellar CM-6

I been a part of GS for over a years now, I reframe from posting anything because I find it silly to engage into uneducated discussions with some of the people that post here. The general populations here are great educated people for the most part… It's human nature to make comparisons or to use short-hand references in order to provide context. Then there's hyperbole – an exaggeration that tends more toward attention-grabbing than proper comparison. MJ You should not compare or make remark about a product you know nothing about. Purchase the CM-6 Tube mic, I must say I personally think the mic sound AMAZING!!!!!! At first I thought it sounded a little bright, but in a very musical way. Once I let the tube burn in for a few days I was confident that the CM-6 Is one of the best sounding tube mic I Ever heard. I own about 80 plus mics between the price range of $15,000- $200 dollars. I will say this in closing I thank stellar for creating such a great product with such an attractive price point. Stellar don’t over charge for his mics like someone we all know of here on GS.

Last edited by mdemesmin1; 19th December 2010 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: some typos
Old 19th December 2010
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
I meant, uh, I meant hitting us with one of these.
Oh Damn. Missed a good pun there. My bad. I was always a literalist as a child.
Old 19th December 2010
  #46
STOP the insanity!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
Thanks for all the info you're providing on this mic. So just to be clear on the last statement, you're saying the CM-6 (not the CM-47) sound is closer to a U67?

Thanks!
I hope not... Why compare mics like these to U47/48's and U67's... stop it!!!!


PLEASE STOP IT!!!! PLEASE STOP IT!!!!!

He says it's a good mic and sounds like a proper broadcast mic. How does it compare to the JJaudio V67g(U87 mod)? Is it smoother? I like the real midrange push of the U87 and my CAD e350's, though the CAD's I feel are smoother (will be doing a shootout with a Telefunken U 47, vintage U 87, SM7b, and my e350 on my voice using several new preamps at a buddies studio here in Munich). Will the shootout include only tube mics? Can you use the CM-6 with the stock tube and an NOS tube to compare the difference in sound?

Also, one thing on NOS tubes versus modern ones. The NOS tube is a better bet, because the new ones (though they sound good now) eventually sound bad later. I don't know how to explain it. I'm not saying that the tubes are bad for what they are, but an NOS tube in that circuit is a better bet.

What would be a good tube to swap out for EF86? or 806 since we discussed them before on this or another thread and you pointed out to some examples that might work.

Any ideas?
Old 19th December 2010
  #47
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
I hope not... Why compare mics like these to U47/48's and U67's... stop it!!!!
...I'm trying not to make direct references, but the structural design of the CM-6 incorporates some of the major elements of the U67 (EF86 circuit and K67 capsule) as well as a transformer based on the U47's BV8 and the capsule/headbasket configuration is similar to that mic's as well...most of the structural elements of contemporary products are derivative of classic designs, but do not necessarily imply sonic similarity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
IHe says it's a good mic and sounds like a proper broadcast mic. How does it compare to the JJaudio V67g(U87 mod)? Is it smoother? I like the real midrange push of the U87 and my CAD e350's, though the CAD's I feel are smoother (will be doing a shootout with a Telefunken U 47, vintage U 87, SM7b, and my e350 on my voice using several new preamps at a buddies studio here in Munich). Will the shootout include only tube mics?
...we're trying to persuade some talent to help us provide sound file samples, but the holiday madness is making it more difficult than usual (lots of people are out of town)...hope to get some files up this week (you certainly don't want to hear me sing!)...

...I did a direct comparison of the CM-6 and the JJ modded V67G and ran response graphs...in the absence of sound files for the moment, you can see the similarities of performance here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6118846-post4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Will the shootout include only tube mics? Can you use the CM-6 with the stock tube and an NOS tube to compare the difference in sound?

Also, one thing on NOS tubes versus modern ones. The NOS tube is a better bet, because the new ones (though they sound good now) eventually sound bad later. I don't know how to explain it. I'm not saying that the tubes are bad for what they are, but an NOS tube in that circuit is a better bet.

What would be a good tube to swap out for EF86? or 806 since we discussed them before on this or another thread and you pointed out to some examples that might work.

Any ideas?
...we're gonna try to keep the selection limited to tube mics that are either "pre-modded" of aftermarket modded...probably about a half dozen or so...
depending on whether a NOS tube makes any audible improvement over the premium stock tube, the CM-6 will be shot-out with the best tube option I have available...
...yes, I've heard that many of the new "re-issue" tubes have questionable life expectancies, but considering the hours spent recording are not extensive, I wouldn't let that unproven factor be a deterrent from considering that option...
...here is an interesting post from the Neumann website concerning tube options for the EF86 microphone circuit:
Archive - Re: Tube Choices for U67
...I have some good examples of both NOS EF86/6267 and E80F tubes coming this week for testing...
Old 19th December 2010
  #48
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I'm trying not to make direct references, but the structural design of the CM-6 incorporates some of the major elements of the U67 (EF86 circuit and K67 capsule) as well as a transformer based on the U47's BV8 and the capsule/headbasket configuration is similar to that mic's as well...most of the structural elements of contemporary products are derivative of classic designs, but do not necessarily imply sonic similarity...
This irks me. So the CM-6 incorporates a K67 capsule? Really? Straight from Neumann?? And a trafo BASED on the BV8. How do you know? What exactly do you base this info on (what the manufacturer/seller says??)? Have you opened up and measured the both the CM-6's trafo and a BV8? Just wondering.

So you are saying this mic has all the right elements to sound like a Neumann? Oh but your last sentence gives it away...it has "structural elements" but not necessarily any "sonic similarity." And yet it seems like every other post I read you are recommending these mics as the holy grail of Low-End, as if they had similar performance to the expensive stuff.

I'm still not clear on this. Do you yourself own or use on a constant basis any mics that you are constantly comparing these cheap mics too? And do you know these mics are in good condition?

All I have seen in this forum lately is you blathering on about this and that mic, and I haven't seen one real review or sound clip to really show what this or that mic can do. It looks to me like the run-of-the-mill Chinese mic with Chinese capsule and Chinese build quality done at a price-point to meet the demands of the distributor - which is FINE, but hyping it like it's a direct recreation of a U-whatever is grating on me.

Your provocation of Mr. Joly bugs me to. You want to give the full story about his "frantic email," or just leave the hint of "background turmoil" between y'all as a way to make people wonder? We get it, you don't like Joly's mods or something. Whatever.

Let me put my "2c" in here. I have used plenty of budget mics that were supposed to be really good and "recreate the classics." Except then I used a Neumann U89 and I heard what a real Neumann capsule and transformer sound like. None of these Chinese capsules have the midrange sound of the real Neumann. Sorry. They might look similar on paper but they don't sound the same. No, Joly's Premium modded 219 didn't sound like it either, BUT it sounded a lot closer than the Chinese mics. I think the capsule/transformer in the Oktava is at work there.

I'm out of town, but when I have a chance this week I will put up my modded 219 and U89 and post some clips, as a show-and-tell. If you search my old posts you will find some really good soundclips of the Oktavas already.

Now I challenge you this: If you think whatever cheap Chinese mic is so awesome, I challenge anyone to send me one or two and I will try it out directly against whatever mics I might own (see my website) and post the clips here.
Old 19th December 2010
  #49
Lives for gear
 
mhs2xs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemesmin1 View Post
I been a part of GS for over a years now, I reframe from posting anything because I find it silly to engage into uneducated discussions with some of the people that post here. The general populations here are great educated people for the most part… It's human nature to make comparisons or to use short-hand references in order to provide context. Then there's hyperbole – an exaggeration that tends more toward attention-grabbing than proper comparison. MJ You should not compare or make remark about a product you know nothing about. Purchase the CM-6 Tube mic, I must say I personally think the mic sound AMAZING!!!!!! At first I thought it sounded a little bright, but in a very musical way. Once I let the tube burn in for a few days I was confident that the CM-6 Is one of the best sounding tube mic I Ever heard. I own about 80 plus mics between the price range of $15,000- $200 dollars. I will say this in closing I thank stellar for creating such a great product with such an attractive price point. Stellar don’t over charge for his mics like someone we all know of here on GS.
I too lurked for a long time before I started posting/commenting. Hearing another assessment from someone who owns one gives me even more comfort in my purchase. Thanks for sharing your evaluation.

As far as everything else going on in the thread, it is unfortunate. All I want is good mics for a good price. I don't expect I'll ever own anything with the N badge just like I'll never own a Mercedes. I've only heard a few classic vintage mics in person and of course they were awesome. But the most interesting thing to me is how close some of these new mics sound to them (to me anyway). From the camps that say "modded can sound pretty close" to the camps that say "that cheap crap will never sound close" all makes it even more confusing because, when I read the backgrounds of people on both sides, they all have worthy credentials and are by no means chumps. Listening to clips is fine, but even then there's so many variables there too. Anyway, everybody's got an opinion obviously, but up here it seems to boil over from time to time, making it even more difficult to make an informed decision about buying something when bias enters the fray.

Thanks again for the post.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
  #50
Gear Maniac
 

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
As far as everything else going on in the thread, it is unfortunate. All I want is good mics for a good price. I don't expect I'll ever own anything with the N badge just like I'll never own a Mercedes. I've only heard a few classic vintage mics in person and of course they were awesome. But the most interesting thing to me is how close some of these new mics sound to them (to me anyway). From the camps that say "modded can sound pretty close" to the camps that say "that cheap crap will never sound close" all makes it even more confusing because, when I read the backgrounds of people on both sides, they all have worthy credentials and are by no means chumps. Listening to clips is fine, but even then there's so many variables there too. Anyway, everybody's got an opinion obviously, but up here it seems to boil over from time to time, making it even more difficult to make an informed decision about buying something when bias enters the fray.
My thoughts exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. thumbsup
Old 19th December 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 
mhs2xs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
My thoughts exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. thumbsup
Every now and then I come up with a good one. Thanks...

Merry Christmas!
Mitchell
Old 19th December 2010
  #52
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
hah. That is a classic passive-aggressive, innuendo-laden comment of the type you're famous around here for kid. Innuendo and speculation, I'm not sure which prevails with you.

But yes, both are a whole fcuking lot less expensive to dispense than hiring top engineers, top vocalists, top studios and top mics to make a point.

But you know what? I still use my ears as my primary sense - not printed words - to tell me what something sounds like.
Isn't this the guy who said he would leave the gearslutz forums forever?
Old 19th December 2010
  #53
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
This irks me.
...I have tried to be forthcoming in saying repeatedly that this mic is in no way implied to be on par with, or a substitute for, any of the classic mics referenced, simply that certain structural elements are derivative of those original designs...when Dave Thomas of Advanced Audio makes these same references about his mics, does that irk you? (his similarly built chinese-made CM-47 went head-to-head with a $6500 Wunder CM-7 in Tape Op magazine, and held it's own)...when Oktavamod makes direct comparisons of their chinese capsule to the Neumann original, does that irk you too?...BTW those mics in your avatar have direct lineage to the same designs, but that doesn't irk you?...oh, I'm sorry, those aren't chinese mics...

...what is the title of this thread?...maybe you should read it again...

"Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your Pre-73?..."


...what I am saying is simply that, if you're one of the hundreds of GS members that purchased a GAP PRE-73 and were pleased with it, here is another piece of gear that delivers similar value, and falls proportionately in line with the cost-verses-performance quotient offered by the GAP product...

...upon it first release, I posted my impressions about the PRE-73...of course references had to be made to it's derivation of design based on the classic Neve 1073, but no one's saying that it equals the original's sonic integrity...but it does give the low-end enthusiast (we're still posting in the "Low-End Theory, are we not?) an opportunity to be introduced to an affordable product that shares some sonic resemblance to a classic...most agree...now GAP has introduced their COMP-54, another inexpensive homage to a Neve classic...

...it is in my opinion, that this microphone offers the same value, and is a good addition to the PRE-73 for those that might be interested...most of the remarks made here referring to classic mics are in reply to questions where some general frame of reference is requested...frankly, I don't care about any of those classic mics, nor do I intend to make direct comparisons to such...I compare this mic to other similarly priced products, and that is where the reference to an Oktavamod product enters the discussion...and if my dissatisfaction with the value of a product or service trouble you, so be it...we have a difference of opinion...but I couldn't care less what mics you have...I'm not even sure why you're reading this thread...this is a $300 mic...in my humble opinion, outside of my SM7, it's the best $300 mic I've ever purchased (and I've purchased many)...I am sincerely enthusiastic about the value of this mic, and I am simply passing along the recommendation to others that might be interested...if my enthusiasm "irks" you, well, what can I say...maybe you should exit "Low End Theory" and seek out other less "irk-ing" locales...

...I will be posting sound files in the near future, but the holidays have made it a bit more difficult to assemble talent (I myself am not a singer)...and we also hope to do a shootout of comparative products, to put things in better perspective...
...I think before you assault my enthusiasm about a product that I honestly believe offers exceptional value, you need to examine just what the reason is you're reading this thread in the first place...

...have a Merry Christmas!
Old 19th December 2010
  #54
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...we're gonna try to keep the selection limited to tube mics that are either "pre-modded" of aftermarket modded...probably about a half dozen or so...
Would you mind putting a couple solid state mics up as well? Maybe some acclaimed unmodded microphones, if you have any available? I think that might give a firmer reference to make comparisons with.
Old 19th December 2010
  #55
Lives for gear
 
mhs2xs's Avatar
 

My Perspective

To All,
I just wanted to chime in one more time on this while it's on my mind. I've listened to tube mic shootouts ad-nauseum and read every "best budget tube mic" thread I could find over the past TWO years. I bought an AT3060 because it was cheap and still haven't had the occasion to use it as I'm just a musician and do not have a "clientele" as of yet. I wanted these microphones because of the specs and MP capability. Kidvybes enthusiam about the mic was a factor in my decision (as well as what Peter was saying about it). While he may not be considered to be a "mic expert", I don't feel he is a poser either. He has credentials that are far beyond mine and he owns many more microphones than I, and I consider him credible. It was not a knee jerk purchase by me as I've been looking for mics of this type at this price for a long time. Hopefully the forthcoming clips will dispell all of this and we'll find out there's a great new mic at an affordable price.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 20th December 2010
  #56
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Would you mind putting a couple solid state mics up as well? Maybe some acclaimed unmodded microphones, if you have any available? I think that might give a firmer reference to make comparisons with.

...good idea...more than likely it will be one commonly well-liked FET mic, as a reference...Thanks for your input!
Old 20th December 2010
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Corran's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...I have tried to be forthcoming in saying repeatedly that this mic is in no way implied to be on par with, or a substitute for, any of the classic mics referenced, simply that certain structural elements are derivative of those original designs...when Dave Thomas of Advanced Audio makes these same references about his mics, does that irk you? (his similarly built chinese-made CM-47 went head-to-head with a $6500 Wunder CM-7 in Tape Op magazine, and held it's own)...when Oktavamod makes direct comparisons of their chinese capsule to the Neumann original, does that irk you too?...BTW those mics in your avatar have direct lineage to the same designs, but that doesn't irk you?...oh, I'm sorry, those aren't chinese mics...

...what is the title of this thread?...maybe you should read it again...

"Wanna Tube Mic To Go With Your Pre-73?..."


...what I am saying is simply that, if you're one of the hundreds of GS members that purchased a GAP PRE-73 and were pleased with it, here is another piece of gear that delivers similar value, and falls proportionately in line with the cost-verses-performance quotient offered by the GAP product...

...upon it first release, I posted my impressions about the PRE-73...of course references had to be made to it's derivation of design based on the classic Neve 1073, but no one's saying that it equals the original's sonic integrity...but it does give the low-end enthusiast (we're still posting in the "Low-End Theory, are we not?) an opportunity to be introduced to an affordable product that shares some sonic resemblance to a classic...most agree...now GAP has introduced their COMP-54, another inexpensive homage to a Neve classic...

...it is in my opinion, that this microphone offers the same value, and is a good addition to the PRE-73 for those that might be interested...most of the remarks made here referring to classic mics are in reply to questions where some general frame of reference is requested...frankly, I don't care about any of those classic mics, nor do I intend to make direct comparisons to such...I compare this mic to other similarly priced products, and that is where the reference to an Oktavamod product enters the discussion...and if my dissatisfaction with the value of a product or service trouble you, so be it...we have a difference of opinion...but I couldn't care less what mics you have...I'm not even sure why you're reading this thread...this is a $300 mic...in my humble opinion, outside of my SM7, it's the best $300 mic I've ever purchased (and I've purchased many)...I am sincerely enthusiastic about the value of this mic, and I am simply passing along the recommendation to others that might be interested...if my enthusiasm "irks" you, well, what can I say...maybe you should exit "Low End Theory" and seek out other less "irk-ing" locales...

...I will be posting sound files in the near future, but the holidays have made it a bit more difficult to assemble talent (I myself am not a singer)...and we also hope to do a shootout of comparative products, to put things in better perspective...
...I think before you assault my enthusiasm about a product that I honestly believe offers exceptional value, you need to examine just what the reason is you're reading this thread in the first place...

...have a Merry Christmas!
I appreciate your clarification here on all matters. No, it does not irk me when people compare their mics to a classic, only when it seems to be declared to be "on-par" rather than just loosely based on the design of said mic.

As for Joly's capsules, I don't really care myself - I don't have any interest in a capsule swap and never saw the value in that, it's the modded Oktavas that I've always liked. And part of the reason was how good they sounded, in comparison to great mics, on his website.

While some might be inclined to buy a cheapish mic on what you or others have to say about it, I am not, and just like others say they want to "not let newbs fall under the sway" of certain mic retailers I feel compelled to speak up when it seems this forum is inundated with posts about cheap mics that supposedly sound "90% as good as more expensive mics," to quote that other thread.

I appreciate your usage of the phrase "cost-versus-performance." I will get behind you 100% in supporting the purchase or support of mics with a good c. vs. p. ratio. Just not when they are pushed beyond this territory to being "close or equal" to a $7000 vintage mic.

Finally, I'd like to point out the absolute hypocrisy of this forum in regards to having "enthusiasm about a product that I honestly believe offers exceptional value." That's great, I applaud it, and yet there are a group of 5-6 members who find it necessary to deride EVERY thread related to Joly's mods lately, when he is doing the SAME thing - promoting a product he honestly believes delivers exceptional quality. Just because he makes money on his services does not make his enthusiasm any less valid. Of course his mics/mods are not everyone's cup of tea, just as these mics aren't.
Old 20th December 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
mhs2xs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Finally, I'd like to point out the absolute hypocrisy of this forum in regards to having "enthusiasm about a product that I honestly believe offers exceptional value." That's great, I applaud it, and yet there are a group of 5-6 members who find it necessary to deride EVERY thread related to Joly's mods lately, when he is doing the SAME thing - promoting a product he honestly believes delivers exceptional quality. Just because he makes money on his services does not make his enthusiasm any less valid. Of course his mics/mods are not everyone's cup of tea, just as these mics aren't.

I will agree with this statement, as I have ended up having to chime in on the "rescue the newbs" deal to reitterate that MJoly did NOT in fact hold a gun to my head and order me to send him 4 of mics for mod. Same as I don't think it's cool to slam someone else for their evaluation of a mic that they feel is cost effective...In any thread.

I think people should always have the "buyer beware" mentality and do some research. But with all this going on, it only fuels the confusion of who to believe, who has an agenda etc. etc. Like I said before, listening to clips and studying response plots only gets us so far because, lets face it, those can be manipulated too if someone desired it. There has to be a level of trust or else we're back to where we started, just buying mics and then returning them if they suck. Which some places won't even let you do that anymore. I came to this forum in search of experienced advice and opinions from professionals that know what they're talking about as far as the technical aspects of certain gear, as well as professional users of gear that could tell me how it works for them. But as these threads derail into a penis flexing contest sometimes, it makes me pause and wonder why I'm wasting my time reading them. Must be the drama of it all.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 20th December 2010
  #59
Registered User
 

Seems like this was a very simple thread- 'hey here's a cheapie that you might want to consider...' Sure there's the accompanying hyperbole- it happens when someone is excited.

Then out of nowhere enters MJ with vitriol and his new favorite spelling of the 'f-word.'

Goodness, I will never buy anything from M Joly: He does not have the type of honor that he so admires of the Far-East.

It has been a very sad transition, indeed.
Old 20th December 2010
  #60
Lives for gear
 
kidvybes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I appreciate your clarification here on all matters.

I appreciate your usage of the phrase "cost-versus-performance." I will get behind you 100% in supporting the purchase or support of mics with a good c. vs. p. ratio.
...well, let's celebrate the aspects of this conversation that fall within the boundaries of agreement...with all the negative knee-jerk responses that seem to plague these discussions of late, I find it much more satisfying to talk things out, at least to the degree, at which we find common ground...focusing on those commonalities serves to reinforce the reasons why we take the time to participate in these discussions in the first place...I thank you for bearing with this conversation long enough that we could reach some sense of mutual understanding...

Enjoy a Blessed Holiday Season and Wish You a Happy & Healthy New Year...
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump