The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Golden Age Comp 54
Old 3rd April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnialinx View Post
Hey Dan,
You provide the Carnhills, I'll buy them and provide the Comp-54, and we can get all buzzed on coffee, bust out the iron and do some before and after tests. Ive been meaning to mod this for awhile now. IMO the stock version is a definitely usuable character compressor. I have had pretty much the same experience as everyone else. I definitely would like to hear what it does after being upgraded. Doesn't live on the buss but visits. Follows the other Neve clones often when tracking. I like it.
Sounds fun!
Old 17th September 2014
bee
Lives for gear

What's the difference between the comp 54 and the comp 54 mkII?
Old 2nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
What's the difference between the comp 54 and the comp 54 mkII?
"The only difference between MKI and the new MKII is that the MKII has an insert jack where you can insert one of our eq units."

Golden Age Project COMP-54 MKII, 230V (Product details / Produktdetaljer) [Golden Age Music AB]

Dirk
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Dan actually sent me some files of carnhill modded vs stock and the difference is definitely noticeable. They really are the Rolls Royce of xfmrs. I Will be switching them now.
Old 18th September 2015
anyone here still own these or have you moved on to the WA76?
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Still using my stock original 54 here...I find the 54 very useful in some up in your face slow leads during recording electric guitar...also bass...not so much for my style vocals...when I received it, the gain pot was noisy, continued to be scratchy while dialing gain until I cleaned the pot with some Deoxit...

Owned for over 4 years now....
Old 18th September 2015
Gear Head
Yep still using my Carnhilled 54. Mainly on bass and vocals. just a touch of smooth and slow, before comping the hell out of things in the DAW
Old 2nd March 2017
Here for the gear

-73dB is not really noisy by all subjective accounts available on consumer system playback so please master crush away..
Old 21st March 2017
Here for the gear

ps- been using a pair of these in parallel on the master bus - sounds dope; will be staying here..
Old 24th March 2017
Lives for gear

I have a Mk2 that`s been gutted. Recapped with Panasonics, all new resistors and Carnhills. Yeah, no more of that vintage hiss. Sounds just stunning. It was NOT cheap like you might think of a stock 54. Pretty expensive for 1 channel. But wow, I use a teeny bit going in, that way I get the flavor of all 5 Carnhills in the strip, but then tidy it up a bit later with a VST compressor of choice. Sounds awesome.
Old 24th March 2017
Here for the gear

GAP Comp 54 Not Working

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum...and not so technical...please bear with me. Hoping that I can get some advice on compression and the Comp 54 specifically.

For my mic setup I'm using the GAP Pre73, MKII with the Share SM7B. I do some broadcasting with music and purchased the GAP Comp 54 alongside it a couple of years back to add colour. The problem is, whereas the PRE adds the warmth that I'm happy with, the COMP (MKI) simply adds hiss. So I've left it out of the loop. In fact, I don't think it's functioning at all (no lights on the VU, rotating the values doesn't seem to change anything at all). I'm happy with the setup but some compression would help me as I'm not in the most shielded environment.

Do you think it's worth repairing/modifying the GAP Comp or replacing for the new version or is there an alternative? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks. P.S. I'm on a budget!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksdingo View Post
Yeah I too would like to know how it compares to a PCB.
PCB-6A smokes it, not even close...but I like the PBC-6A better than my 1176's so maybe I'm trippin' ball$.

I have two comp 54's kicking around somewhere, put it this way, if I was tracking a large ensemble, and needed LOTS of tracking compressors and was wheeling out the whole battalion...at what point would I reach for a Comp 54 above something else?

Hard to say...because they never made a huge impression on me, they wern't bad...but they didn't really give me an "Ah! Sounds like THAT" moment.

Plus, they weren't actually all that similar to each other, the workmanship was
terrible, really shoddy, far below standard, things just popped off, like buttons and dials, and needle and light would stop working, the "Ratio" knob started making 360 degree turns on one unit (But not on the other) it still WORKED mind you, but they feel like they are held together with chewing gum,

I can recall being afraid to cut a loud fart around them for fear they would just up and FAIL. And they didn't seem anything alike, the output on one was much louder than the other...So I don't think I ever even bothered TRYING to stereo link them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search