The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Life sucks... Recording sucks Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 15th November 2010
Life sucks... Recording sucks

Why can't I have ONE decent REVERB!!?? PT LE is the worst. Does anyone know of a nice free plugin out there? I found a great plugin site but the download never worked.

When you're mixing a heavily layered song, and you have no reverbs you can use.... What to do?
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

dverb
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Head

Aether
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
Why can't I have ONE decent REVERB!!?? PT LE is the worst. Does anyone know of a nice free plugin out there? I found a great plugin site but the download never worked.

When you're mixing a heavily layered song, and you have no reverbs you can use.... What to do?
I find dverb and the air verbs perfectly usable. I have other "nicer" verbs but still find use for these. Try eqing them post verb to further dial in the sound you're looking for. I tend to low pass quite often.
Old 15th November 2010
Here for the gear

TL Space. Classik Studio Reverb.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Nut

ambience is quite good imo
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Life sucks
Now this I can agree with.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Mac? PC?
Old 15th November 2010
Quote:
Why can't I have ONE decent REVERB!!?? PT LE is the worst. Does anyone know of a nice free plugin out there?
Does your second question explain your first question?

Quote:
Hire a good one, if it matters. Or extensively tune the one you have, with pre-delay (often a vital parameter) and filtering. Then again, sometimes delays can be all that's needed.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:

First of all, despite its reputation and clunky interface, DVerb is a perfectly usable reverb

you have to take down the highs considerably, either with its low-pass control or using an EQ in front of it, but once you darken it up, it is not half bad.

Carefully placed delays can serve similar functions as reverb, but since they are short and discrete they leave more sonic space in your mix. If you are talking about a 'heavily layered song' you should be considering delays even if you Do have lots of plug-in reverbs to choose.

A bonus is that it is just a delay, so it's hard to get a 'bad' one. Quite the fashion these days as well. Again, don't be afraid to EQ the delay.

It wasn't quite 'free' but I recently got a copy of Revolver in one of those "no-brainer" bundles for pretty cheap. That offer is over, but these kinds of things pop up. You can also find some guys who sell used plug-ins on ebay. You do the transfer via iLok.com. Some bargains can be had there

You might find a decent hardware verb for not too much money used as well.

With a power amp, a speaker, a mic and a handy space you could set up a great reverb right in your house: A chamber. I use my kitchen, which has a high ceiling and hard surfaces all around. Plus, the jutting cabinets and appliances make great diffusors. But a cellar, garage, hallway, even stairwell or airshaft also make good chambers.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Are you sending your reverb to a bus, by the way? If not, try doing so. Can make a world of difference having just one overall reverb on a track and sending different amounts (or perhaps two, one long, one short) for each instrument. Once it's on a bus track, with a strip of its own, it's of course very easy to tweak to your heart's content with EQ and compression.
Old 15th November 2010
errrrr Bricasti impulses free all over the web and SIR?? dont need more
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyreels View Post
I find dverb and the air verbs perfectly usable. I have other "nicer" verbs but still find use for these. Try eqing them post verb to further dial in the sound you're looking for. I tend to low pass quite often.
Alternatively, you can sidechain your verb. Once I discovered this, it opened up a world of opportunities.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Head

D-verb can work if you give it a chance and tweak but if you're looking for something else, +1 Classic Studio Reverb.
Old 15th November 2010
soulstudios
Quote:

Glaceverb.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear
most of those reverbs are fine. i think it's the way you're mixing. how are you setting up your reverbs and what are you using them on? you won't get anywhere slapping a verb on something and just playing with it till it sounds good if that's the case..you need to know why you need it, how to use(read about reverbs and the manual till you don't question yourself anymore and know it inside and out) and how to achieve it and also properly send it up on a buss/send. Other elements of the track can be conflicting. reverb that's too much and not eq'd can cause it to muddy up the rest of the track. a little can go a long way and create a nice illusion of space.bigness in the mix without turning up the fader.

sounds like a good read about verbs, reading the manual on the verbs you have along with some eq onit would be a good place to start. if that doesn't work maybe some other elements in your tracks as you mentioned it's super layered, could be too much or conflicting elements.

give us some more info on how your are setting up and post a clip of the said song.mixing can be a dirty thing and i still have my bad days every now and then. I recommend a dvd called mix it like a record by charles dye. it's not like a lot of droning tutorials and is great for anyone, very informal modern looking and really explains a lot in 3 hours from every track to your verbs,delays,fx ect.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

TC Electronic gave away the M30 for a while.

Also, like people have mentioned, there are great impulses out there if you look around.

I have the Lexicon PCM reverbs and they're a little expensive but are 100% worth it.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Post a clip......
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Addict

Liquidsonics Reverbate LE. EXCELLENT convolution reverb, I use it almost exclusively and love it. There are tons of great free impulses out there you can download too.

LiquidSonics - Reverberate LE | Convolution Reverb for PC
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

I had the same issue. I eventually broke and bought TL Space on ebay. If you watch it long enough, you can get it for less than $100, and it's well worth that. I believe I paid around $60 for mine.
Old 15th November 2010
Gear Nut

i'm glad this subject line was so indicative about the topic because i wanted to bitch about something similar:

compressors all suck too! what's the deal man?

i mean i slap a compressor on a track and it doesn't make it sound better!

oh, you mean i actually have to turn those knob thingies?

what do the numbers mean?

which compressor reaches out to the children that don't have a fighting chance?
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahlad View Post
errrrr Bricasti impulses free all over the web and SIR?? dont need more
This.

Free SIR Convolution reverb used as a host for the free Bricasti impulses...very high quality.
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
First of all, despite its reputation and clunky interface, DVerb is a perfectly usable reverb

you have to take down the highs considerably, either with its low-pass control or using an EQ in front of it, but once you darken it up, it is not half bad.
I find this to be true. I'm in the middle of project and have been using d-verb during tracking and for rough bounces and now I'm really digging the ambiance in the tracks. wouldn't surprise me if these end up on the final mixes.

to boot, I have altiverb and TL space.

oto
Old 15th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso2 View Post
ambience is quite good imo
+1 for sound.
careful though, I paid for it & it took 6 weeks & 3 emails for anyone to send me the nag screen free version.
Old 16th November 2010
Here for the gear

+1 for dverb......reverb should be subtle and as long as you are using proper mixing technique, the dverb is perfectly usable. Just make sure you are utilizing your sends and aux tracks, and not just sticking the reverb right on the track. and as stated before, taking down a little of the information on the top end of the spectrum will help it sit better in the mix. good luck
Old 16th November 2010
Gear Nut

If you've got the I/O to spare Lexicon MPX-100's can be had for dirt cheap and have some nice sounding algos. I've a pair I use to supplant the so-so reverb in Ableton and I find them quite usable. Go hybrid! heh
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Buy hardware!!! So many people waste their time with bad cheap plugin verbs. A good full function, multi onscreen parameter, hardware reverb can be had for $50 to $250 on ebay. Try the Ibanez SDR-1000 which is the same thing as the Sony MU-R201. The Sony was good enough to make Steely Dan records with, it is a great vocal and drum reverb. The Roland stuff is really good, and really cheap. The 3030 is a great unit (especially if you can edit), it is even 24 bit, and has a digital I/O option. The Roland SRV-330 is excellent, and it is at the higher end of that pricing scale. Unless you are talking about the UAD EMT reverbs (which are not cheap), most cheap plugin reverbs are just not that great, especially for vocals. I own a whole rack full of hardware effects, they are not going anywhere. I don't know what I would do mixing without them. I do use a plugin or two sometimes, but they are delays or the aforementioned EMT Plate.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Dverb is free. It's not the worst reverb, it's perfectly decent sometimes. I wouldn't want to use it for everything.

TL Space is more than decent but is not free.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Buy hardware!!! So many people waste their time with bad cheap plugin verbs.
I respectfully disagree. There are definitely advantages to hardware but the multiple instances with plugs are a major plus. Also, the Lexicon bundle is a steal when you do the math. Lots of money up front but as many verbs as you cpu can handle. I love them but still use as I stated before, the dverbs and air plugs.
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

See theres your problem... you want pro results for nothing. If you don't like any free reverb, fork out the cash for a nice convolution, the lexicon sweet or the IK CSR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wefandango View Post
i'm glad this subject line was so indicative about the topic because i wanted to bitch about something similar:

compressors all suck too! what's the deal man?

i mean i slap a compressor on a track and it doesn't make it sound better!

oh, you mean i actually have to turn those knob thingies?

what do the numbers mean?

which compressor reaches out to the children that don't have a fighting chance?
And theres your problems... input = how much is going into the comp, output = how much is going out, attack = how fast it reacts, release = how fast it lets go, threshold = when it kicks in, ratio = how hard it hits.

Compressors don't just make things sound better.

They NEVER do that without setting them correctly.

Screw with the settings and actually learn what the hell a compressor does.

Unless you use guitar pedals... there are no, turn then knob and it sounds better compressors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search