The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
T bone SDC for upright piano?
Old 6th November 2010
Here for the gear
T bone SDC for upright piano?

So my family just bought an upright piano and as i'm in the process of buying out a Duet, want to get a cheap pair of SDC's for practice on micing it.

I've looked into T bones on the forum and the consensus seem to be good value for money, but even on the really cheap models?

I'm looking into the
EM700's
THE T.BONE EM700 STEREOSET - U.K. International Cyberstore

and the
SC140's
THE T.BONE SC140 STEREOSET - U.K. International Cyberstore

I'm edging towards the sc140's which sound less harsh although i like how the EM700's sit upfront with alot of presence (from their sound clips)

Anyone have any experience with either of these, or any suggestions that would be under £150 for a pair.
Cheers
Old 6th November 2010
Here for the gear

So you're getting a Duet and therefore spending less on mics? Personal opinion would be to lose some quality in the interface and pick up a better pair of mics. Depends how much you want to buy new. You could get an Alesis IO14 off ebay for £150, gives you £2-350 on a pair of mics (OKTAVA MK 012-01 MSP2 MATCHED PAIR - U.K. International Cyberstore), or more mics, like an LDC maybe so you can do vocals with the piano, you might end up doing some bigger stuff once you've gotten into it.

Having said that, even £150 for a pair of SDCs, i'd look for 2nd hand Rode NT5s or SE1As. You're right to consider T-Bone, they're good for the money, but i'd rather have better mics than a better interface.
Old 6th November 2010
Here for the gear
The duet is a buy that i've been waiting for for a while now, (till i could afford it). It's more about high quality converters and solid preamps for me than some nice mics at the moment as I have alot of nice mics at my disposal when at uni (currently doing a tech course), these mics are merely for when i go home and tinker with the piano and general use around nice acoustic spaces (classical guitar and such).

Although I can see your point about rather having nice mics.
Old 7th November 2010
Here for the gear

Ahh I understand, i'm in a similar situation but was lucky enough to get the money to get myself some stuff, that and sharing gear with friends! Remember that you won't have access to Uni gear forever, if you're in your first year, fair enough, and the Duets are awesome.
Old 8th November 2010
Gear Nut

SDC microphones

It is really nice to have a OMNI capsule option.

Using OMNI capsules will eliminate the proximity effect if you get them in close and also has a smoother response.

What happens with a grand is that you get reflections from the back of the lid and this comes into the rear of the microphone where the response is very boxy sounding. However, if you place them right Cardiods can work.

Having a -10db pad can be useful if you are in close as the piano can get quite loud and may not overdrive the microphone but on an entry level preamp it can be a problem without a pad on the microphones.

Cheers, Dave

Advanced Audio Microphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg View Post
So my family just bought an upright piano and as i'm in the process of buying out a Duet, want to get a cheap pair of SDC's for practice on micing it.

I've looked into T bones on the forum and the consensus seem to be good value for money, but even on the really cheap models?

I'm looking into the
EM700's
THE T.BONE EM700 STEREOSET - U.K. International Cyberstore

and the
SC140's
THE T.BONE SC140 STEREOSET - U.K. International Cyberstore

I'm edging towards the sc140's which sound less harsh although i like how the EM700's sit upfront with alot of presence (from their sound clips)

Anyone have any experience with either of these, or any suggestions that would be under £150 for a pair.
Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Also wanted to know how these exact same two models would compare to each other for drum overheads and also how they would compare to the Superlux S241 as well. Anyone actually had and compared any of these?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search