The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the best midi drums set/virtual drums??? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Nut

the best midi drums set/virtual drums???

Since I live in an apartment, recording a drum set or loud amps is kind of a problem for me. I've been thinking about getting a midi drum set and using a drum library like EZ drummer or Superior drummer etc.

Right now, I only have Digidesign's Strike, which I personally like sound-wise. Any recommendations on midi sets/virtual drums??
Old 27th October 2010
Here for the gear

Any set of Roland V-Drums (I use an older TD-3 and it works great) along with Superior Drummer 2.0 will never steer you wrong. Realistically though, as long as the drums have a midi out, whatever your flavor for drums sounds will do just fine. I find Superior Drummer 2.0 has a nice clean UI, very easy to setup a kit in SD and map it to your electric kit of choice.
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthepisces View Post
Since I live in an apartment, recording a drum set or loud amps is kind of a problem for me. I've been thinking about getting a midi drum set and using a drum library like EZ drummer or Superior drummer etc.

Right now, I only have Digidesign's Strike, which I personally like sound-wise. Any recommendations on midi sets/virtual drums??
You have Strike and you need more?

Very slutty my friend. I saw the videos for Strike and it looked pretty awesome?
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Nut

lol nah, I'm content with Strike, I've just never tried controlling it with a MIDI drumset...I'm assuming this is possible?

I've been noticing that a lot of people use virtual sets for rock/metal. Has anyone out there used em on a folk or jazz recording?
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

Oh, duh, now I understand.

Well there are some interesting suggestions on this thread Cheapest playable midi drum set?

Good luck!
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for the link! I think I definitely want to go for an actual MIDI drum set rather than something like DrumKat or anything that doesn't have a drum feel.

Ideally, I want something that DOESN'T include a module for sounds. I don't mind spending a little bit for quality trigger pads on it either.
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Nut

.......and compact is a big plus lol
Old 28th October 2010
For jazz, you're probably better off just going to a studio with a live kit...

There's so much cymbal nuance that just isn't done well in sampled instruments.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search