The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The truth about Preamps
Old 22nd November 2010
Dot
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drak12 View Post
Another post recently claimed that the recent fad was overblown...
Recent? Fad? Some of us have been using and recommending external mic preamps since the 1980's. : )
Old 22nd November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
With just one or two tracks it doesn't matter but if you stack 20 or 30 tracks with really good preamps it will sound great even if the guitar is out of tune.
Yeah, I understand all that but this wasn't the case with the particular clip posted, was it? We're talking about a single guitar here and the thing was unnecessary horribly out of tune.

I can understand it if it was a 12 string guitar which I never tune perfectly since I like the natural chorus when tuning the octaves a hair sharp and flat but that wasn't the case here. He may have perfectly tuned the guitar without the capo but should have checked it after putting the capo on. It's pretty obvious to me, he didn't which is a shame 'cause his clip would have been so much better for it. As it is is now, it's unbearable to listen to it for me personally.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The difference a first class mike preamp makes to me is in the sound of the first rundown before the final level has been set. They are simply far more forgiving.

They also have a much greater effect on the sound of ribbons and dynamic mikes than with condensers.
Yes - took the words right out of my mouth!

The first thing I thought when I read jolys post was, a 57 in a Behringer sounds terrible but a 57 in a 1073 sounds amazing, whether vocal or snare or cab etc! With a LDC the difference is perhaps less noticeable on a single track, but after 24 tracks of LDC with a Behringer vs 24 Tracks of LDC with a 1073, your gonna hear a huge difference!!

But to be fair joly said his argument only applies to the Low Enders and Low Enders would never have as many as 24 tracks of audio would we?
Old 24th November 2010
Gear interested

this is my 1st post ( hope im posting in the right place). imho, a good pre is more important than a good mic. im in the market for some better pres. ive got 2 motu 8 pres, macbook pro, mics: akg d112, sm57, sennheiser e604s, astatic 1000s. 1979 peavey analogue mixers. mixer pres have a better low end, motus have better mids and highs. i was thinking about getting a saffire 56, maybe 2, and still down the road get a pre for kick and snare. i dont know if it would be a lateral move or if it's a considerable move up. so many pres, so little money lol. what do u think? any tips would be much appreciated.
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

both or nothing...
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Addict

Off topic for a second.... How do you "hide" someone's posts forever? I've tried to find the setting but can't. This is just long overdue.

lD
Old 24th November 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-love View Post
this is my 1st post ( hope im posting in the right place). imho, a good pre is more important than a good mic. im in the market for some better pres. ive got 2 motu 8 pres, macbook pro, mics: akg d112, sm57, sennheiser e604s, astatic 1000s. 1979 peavey analogue mixers. mixer pres have a better low end, motus have better mids and highs. i was thinking about getting a saffire 56, maybe 2, and still down the road get a pre for kick and snare. i dont know if it would be a lateral move or if it's a considerable move up. so many pres, so little money lol. what do u think? any tips would be much appreciated.
Welcom to Gearslutz!

The best advice I can offer is to sell all of your current gear and buy a single nice preamp (GR, API, 1073, etc.). Turn it on, look at the lights, play with the knobs and turn it off. Then increase your post count on gearslutz as much as you can - especially regarding the importance of preamps and how no hit records have been made on cheap preamps. Use lots of car analogies and argue from authority. Attack the character of other forum members who don't agree with you to weaken their credibility. Keep repeating the same logical fallacies over and over. Wishing you success in your endeavors!

Best,
GH
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorddiagram View Post
Off topic for a second.... How do you "hide" someone's posts forever? I've tried to find the setting but can't. This is just long overdue.

lD
This thread is like tossing a wod of cash into a crowd of poor homeless hungry people...I also read this was one of the threads that made Michael Jolly decide to quit GS...this is a horrible thread IMHO my thread rating is ZERO...
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The best advice I can offer is to sell all of your current gear and buy a single nice preamp (GR, API, 1073, etc.).
So, that would include selling off all of one's mikes, too? Cool. I'm beginning to think mikes are overrated. I just turn the gain all the way up on a really, really expensive preamp and hope the input captures some of the signal. I just put the cable right up near the strings of an electric guitar. I've started to use iron-loaded drum heads, so they actually create oscillating magnetic fields in the air when I play them. Not quite sure what to do about vocals, though.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
So, that would include selling off all of one's mikes, too? Cool. I'm beginning to think mikes are overrated. I just turn the gain all the way up on a really, really expensive preamp and hope the input captures some of the signal. I just put the cable right up near the strings of an electric guitar. I've started to use iron-loaded drum heads, so they actually create oscillating magnetic fields in the air when I play them. Not quite sure what to do about vocals, though.

Cheers,

Otto
you can use an 8 or 16 ohm audio speaker to induce a signal into a peramp like a mic...sounds very lo-fi, but works....
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
you can use an 8 or 16 ohm audio speaker to induce a signal into a peramp like a mic...sounds very lo-fi, but works....
Actually, used in that fashion, it IS a mike.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

yeah it becomes a mic, so back to square one...maybe it will contribute to some cool recordings... the smaller the speaker the less bassy sound...
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The best advice I can offer is to sell all of your current gear and buy a single nice preamp (GR, API, 1073, etc.). Turn it on, look at the lights, play with the knobs and turn it off. Then increase your post count on gearslutz as much as you can - especially regarding the importance of preamps and how no hit records have been made on cheap preamps. Use lots of car analogies and argue from authority. Attack the character of other forum members who don't agree with you to weaken their credibility. Keep repeating the same logical fallacies over and over. Wishing you success in your endeavors!
Best advice I've read all year.

JSL
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post
This thread is like tossing a wod of cash into a crowd of poor homeless hungry people...I also read this was one of the threads that made Michael Jolly decide to quit GS...this is a horrible thread IMHO my thread rating is ZERO...
Yeah, well, I rate your gear list a zero. In fact, I rate ALL gear-list sigs a zero, they fück up all the search engines.

JSL
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah man
Old 6th July 2013
Gear interested

This whole thread is ridiculous and frustrating. The most telling thing that the differences are negligible is that there have been so few audio clips, oh but of course the differences are "cumulative", well then give me two tracks recorded with entirely different price point Mic pres. Sorry, but from a scientific point of view, if no-one is able to demonstrate any distinction, and instead has to revert to lines of argument Like "all the pros use them" then I am far from convinced.
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMaple View Post
This whole thread is ridiculous and frustrating.
I would say that this was one of the more senseless threads I've seen.

Worse are the people who say "What you need is good musicians, man!"
Is there some kind of web filter I can use on those?

LP
Old 7th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
that's why it's been dead since like 2010, don't stir it back up! (i realize the irony in the fact that i'm posting here too... sorry!)

here's what i think should be the final post in this thread, after all the hubbub:

the truth about preamps is they amplify the signal from the microphone. heh
Old 25th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post

Worse are the people who say "What you need is good musicians, man!"
Is there some kind of web filter I can use on those?

LP
The problem is not knowing who to trust. Some of these people have a lot of experience, others very little. Also everybody expresses their opinion in a different way which throws in more confusion.

I'll give my 2 cents:
A beginner may be happy with any preamp free of brutal distortion.
A pro will see differences as huge, but not quite as huge as the choice of microphone.
A great pre will bring out the best out of every mic.
When using a great pre on a project, the result will accumulate over different tracks and show more importance of using a quality pre.
Better not to use anything really oddball for your first pre; stick with something as versatile as possible. Be open minded, don't fall for audio hypes (this will not be easy) and know that a versatile preamp can come from either a solid state or a tube camp.
Make sure your listening and recording rooms have a decent acoustics before you start calling mics and pres inadequate.
Loading mentioned products ...
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search