The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are Presonus interfaces still unreliable? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Are Presonus interfaces still unreliable?

That is, should I still pretty much forget about considering an FP10 and look elsewhere for a firewire interface, maybe an Octopre?
Old 22nd October 2010
i got a firestudio project, and after a hotfix for the 1399 or whatever they call it devices it works like a charm.

just update the hotfix (xp) and keep your presonus firmware and software up to date and everything should be peachy.

also, NO FRONT PANEL B.S. right to the motherboard with that bitch.

(I'm on xp 32 bit. so take that into consideration. yes i am a dinosaur.pterodactyl)
Old 22nd October 2010
Very reliable on my end. I've had the old firepod, firestudio project and I currently use a lightpipe. I love the lightpipe for it's ability to expand. It's not a piece you need to get rid of with "x" piece of gear. you just add to it.
Old 22nd October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
That is, should I still pretty much forget about considering an FP10 and look elsewhere for a firewire interface, maybe an Octopre?
I have an octopre in my rig, and it's quite nice. I would maybe (if you can wait) get one of the new mackies. The onyx pres are great.
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Nut

My personal experience has not been great.......
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Nut

If you can get one with a return policy if you can to see if it works on your computer setup would be advisable. I personally have a firepod and now a newer firestudio mobile. My experience has been good with both. If you only need 8 inputs and two outputs and just two preamps is okay I recommend the firestudio mobile. As with any mass produced gear you can get ones that might not work correctly for whatever reason like bad computer parts.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

presonus firestudio

I have never had problems with the firestudio. I just got the firestudio tube and am selling an almost new firestudio 2626 for $375 if you are interested.

Peter Warren
[email protected]
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

I've tried several of their firewire units over the last couple of years and the they ALL had one problem or another.

For firewire, in the same price range, I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and it works in Windows 7 64 bit and with Sonar 8.5.3 64 bit without problems (it also works in Vista and in 32 bit OS). I also have an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R USB connected unit and the Saffire Pro 40 has much better preamps than the Ultra 8R.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
I have never had problems with the firestudio. I just got the firestudio tube and am selling an almost new firestudio 2626 for $375 if you are interested.

Peter Warren
[email protected]
Yep,

Sold the 2626/Digimax FS combo about 2 year's ago and went with the FireSudio Tube, Loved it!!!

Took it to my amp tech guy and swapped the tube, which voided the warranty but was well worth it.

The line in's with this, Little Labs, got me using higher end pre's with proper gain staging.

It's now gonna' go to another friend who's just starting up and I'm upgrading to a much nicer 16 channel Mytek/RME Pci-e AES setup.

NEVER a problem with either setup, But you gotta' know how to deal with the whole firewire thing.

Not bad phone support either.

Don't fear the P word, not fancy but YES it works.

G
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

The thing about it is, I just need a unit with pres. I don't need extra routing options or onboard effects, I do all my mixing ITB.

8 mic/line combo pres, two DI inputs, two stereo outputs, two headphone mixes with the ability to listen to different outputs (like the MBox 2 Pro)...would be a dream firewire interface for me at this point.
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Head

I have 3 Firepods, no real issues at all with any of them. I've been using them for the past 3-4 years in a home studio. Not using them everyday, but they get some use. I've daisy chained 2 together for live tracking (drums, guitars and bass) and have had no issues.
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Nut

Never had a problem with my Firestudio.

Most issues seem to be Firewire compatibility. You can always buy another FW card. My FW chipset is not on the tested list, but I have no problems.
Win 7 x64
Old 22nd October 2010
My firestudio's been doing great and I've had it for a few years now.thumbsup
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Are Presonus interfaces still unreliable?

After 3.4 firmware and sonar 8, my firestudio has been rock solid. Got it setup with a pair of digimax FS'. 24 ins and outs. Plays nice with my msr controller, too.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

FireStudio Tube!!! you will love it.

G
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Presonus Firestudio 2626 here. No problems! Presonus Studio One Pro - Excellent! Presonus HP4 headphone amp, great!

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search