The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
V67G clip
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

V67G clip

Did this sitting on my bed with my laptop, Line 6 Toneport UX2 as interface in to Sonar 8.5 x64 on Win 7. Used a Presonus MP20 with Jensen Tranny and Burr Brown chips. Mic for everything was a MXL V67G stock, in a desktop stand sitting on my bed, trying to absorb as much low end as possible. Acoustis Right, Left and Lead Center all with V67G, same with main vocal and harmony track, Strings was absynth soft synth in Sonar. I want to get my V67G modded now, cause I think it's just a darn good mic, even stock.

SoundClick artist: Jeff Stewart - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Nut

wow

holy cow i'm pretty speechless right now.
Old 21st October 2010
Gear Addict

Nice man! Everything sounds great! I love my V67G. I too am looking forward to getting it modded. I've recommended this mic to a bunch of other people too... It's fantastic.

Anyone have a comparison between the stock and modded V67G?
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman777 View Post
Nice man! Everything sounds great! I love my V67G. I too am looking forward to getting it modded. I've recommended this mic to a bunch of other people too... It's fantastic.

Anyone have a comparison between the stock and modded V67G?
Check the MXL 2003a shootout thread, which includes both a stock V67g and a modded one.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ut-7-mics.html
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
Did this sitting on my bed with my laptop, Line 6 Toneport UX2 as interface in to Sonar 8.5 x64 on Win 7. Used a Presonus MP20 with Jensen Tranny and Burr Brown chips. Mic for everything was a MXL V67G stock, in a desktop stand sitting on my bed, trying to absorb as much low end as possible. Acoustis Right, Left and Lead Center all with V67G, same with main vocal and harmony track, Strings was absynth soft synth in Sonar. I want to get my V67G modded now, cause I think it's just a darn good mic, even stock.

Great track!!!

~Iz
Old 22nd October 2010
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thumbs up

Excellent!
Old 22nd October 2010
Gear Maniac

Very nice. Enjoyed the track a lot and just bought an MXL V67g
Old 22nd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice clip thumbsup

The V67g does sound very nice stock.

What the mod does is smooth out the high end and changes the tone to be more like the U87.

I like the guitar work too!!

Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post

What the mod does is smooth out the high end and changes the tone to be more like the U87.
Now why on earth would anyone want to do that?! heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm curious what people characterize the V67G high frequencies issue as.. If there is an issue.

Perhaps he isnt saying its a "problem" but that the modification is just to change the microphone's voice to the U87
Old 17th December 2010

Quote:
I'm curious what people characterize the V67G high frequencies issue as.. If there is an issue.
how about the ssssssssibilance top end that is all over the example track here? otherwise it sounded ok on guitar but ive noticed bright mics that are sibilance also tend to pick up extra fret and string noise

Jeff Stewart
your voice is great but to be honest i couldnt listen to the whole song sibilance is a huge pet peave of mine
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
how about the ssssssssibilance top end that is all over the example track here? otherwise it sounded ok on guitar but ive noticed bright mics that are sibilance also tend to pick up extra fret and string noise

Jeff Stewart
your voice is great but to be honest i couldnt listen to the whole song sibilance is a huge pet peave of mine
If you had to stick a number or range on it, what frequencies do you think are the over-hyped sibilance roughly? (noob question sorry ;P )

EDIT: Also, technique (and a pop filter of course) can go a long way to controlling that
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

nice recording. yes has some sibilance but nothing a little tweaking can't handle.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I mistakenly didn't use my pop filter for this vocql, obviously i should have, and recently I have discovered the waves de-esser and from now i I will use that on my vocal tracks. I bought that waves pack a while back and thought there were actually too many plugs that I would never use, but now i am finding out about more and more of them.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I mistakenly didn't use my pop filter for this vocql, obviously i should have, and recently I have discovered the waves de-esser and from now i I will use that on my vocal tracks. I bought that waves pack a while back and thought there were actually too many plugs that I would never use, but now i am finding out about more and more of them.
I <3 DeEssers. DeEss than comp
Old 18th December 2010

Quote:
and was just about to write off that mic

the waves de-esser is great i use it alot to
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
and was just about to write off that mic

the waves de-esser is great i use it alot to
Can't write of the V67G. Modded you wouldn't even need the de-esser.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search