The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer LOVE thread... Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
Woah yes great idea! A real tape delay would sell like crazy... or well I'd buy one and know quite a few who would too.
Not a bad idea but maybe it is not feasible with standard cassettes. A tape delay needs separate heads for playing and recording. A cassette tape is designed so playing and recording happen on the same head.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
A cassette tape is designed so playing and recording happen on the same head.
Yes, and the mechanism pressing the tape against the head is built into the cassette, not the machine.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yes, and the mechanism pressing the tape against the head is built into the cassette, not the machine.
Exactly. Making a cassette based echo would need a modified cassette tape. Normal cassettes are hard to find right now. Using special cassettes would be a commercial suicide.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero View Post
Exactly. Making a cassette based echo would need a modified cassette tape. Normal cassettes are hard to find right now. Using special cassettes would be a commercial suicide.
Philips owns the design, or at least they did, and they sold licenses to cassette makers. So getting them to play ball on something like this might not be easy or cheap.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
I know, I know, I know... people love to hate Behringer... and then it happens, you try one piece of cheap gear as a "throwaway test" and think... well... this actually doesn't suck? then spend more time with it, and well, it's pretty good. a little more time, and well, it works as advertised, what else could you want?

recently I'm tickled with the BCF2000... just thrilled, $179 USD. I also have a ADA8000 for adding effects/sends returns... again, works as advertised, $199 USD... seriously... what's not to like? These are seriously, two great products.

I don't know what I'd outfit a whole studio with only Berhinger products, but I gotta say so far, I can't complain about the two above and their applications.

share the love if ya got it.
A lot people are going to, well not exactly love, but kind of going to like behringer a little bit more as soon as gearslutz implements a filter option that allows filtering of everything related to behringer.

In case that ueli is going to bring back jobs from his mega plant in prosperous china we'll might even going to built up a little bit of respect over the years for that brand. But only of course if it turns out that they have also improved on their little issues with built quality and copy right infringement.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Hmmm so Behringer are responsible for globalization now are they? Of course when Behringer build stuff in their bespoke quality controlled factory, it's Chinese crap - but when SSL do the same it's "quality" - they can't win. Back in the 80s if you turned a channel up full on any consumer gear (and a lot of professional desks) it sounded like you're at sea - I would have killed for the noise-floor on my modern cheapo Behringer mixer (which has been 100% reliable for 5+ years) this stuff is far, far better then what us oldies had to put up with and costs peanuts - we've never had it better. In blind test most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Behringer gear and anything else - nor indeed can the people with super-hearing state reliably what's "better" until they've taught themselves the sonic signature of a particular piece of gear and then apply their gear-snobbery retrospectively. Just check out that $50 Art preamp vs fancy-Dan higher-ender thread. Only when the truth was revealed did the preferences shift significantly from 50/50.

Buy whatever kit you can afford and make music - modern gear - at any price - will not hold you back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Hmmm so Behringer are responsible for globalization now are they? Of course when Behringer build stuff in their bespoke quality controlled factory, it's Chinese crap - but when SSL do the same it's "quality" - they can't win. Back in the 80s if you turned a channel up full on any consumer gear (and a lot of professional desks) it sounded like you're at sea - I would have killed for the noise-floor on my modern cheapo Behringer mixer (which has been 100% reliable for 5+ years) this stuff is far, far better then what us oldies had to put up with and costs peanuts - we've never had it better. In blind test most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Behringer gear and anything else - nor indeed can the people with super-hearing state reliably what's "better" until they've taught themselves the sonic signature of a particular piece of gear and then apply their gear-snobbery retrospectively. Just check out that $50 Art preamp vs fancy-Dan higher-ender thread. Only when the truth was revealed did the preferences shift significantly from 50/50.
Agree. Quality of products made in China is just related to how you pay for the manufacturing process. If a good brand uses manufacturing facilities in China (e.g. Apple) the overall quality of the product will be still excellent because of the quality control and processes applied.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So true, I once broke my only mic and had paid for a session singer to go on this dance release back in 2000. Panicked as it had to be done that evening so I used a small set of headphones and used that as a microphone instead.

Into a preamp then sampled into a maxed out E64 sampler.... cut up dodgy out of tune parts (syllable by syllable) retuned and re timed... eq'd ...resampled back into sampler...done.

It was released and the vocal held its own and sounded pretty average, no one ever commented on using the tracking headphone as a mic.

Part of me thinks that we have been taken advantage of with these modular and analog synths of late, Behringer is just hi lighting how cheap it is to actually make these things.

Quote:

Buy whatever kit you can afford and make music - modern gear - at any price - will not hold you back.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I hate the build quality of my Behringer Model D so I'm going to sell it.

Same reason I ended up selling my EQP-KT.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

Their version of the X32 that's controlled from an iPad has almost the right number of knobs and faders and buttons.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Their version of the X32 that's controlled from an iPad has almost the right number of knobs and faders and buttons.
haha! yes exactly
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You're a snob...but the good kind.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Sure, you get better quality components if you spend more - but is the audio quality that much better? No. The two pieces of kit you mention sound perfectly fine - if you want to spend 10x more for inperceptible sonic improvements built with knobs that cost £1.20p each instead of £0.60p each - fine - go for it! In a professional environment you're better off spending the money for the robustness - for the rest of us - it really doesn't matter. It doesnt take much to bury yourself well into the land of diminishing returns - this wasn't always the case.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sure, you get better quality components if you spend more - but is the audio quality that much better? No. The two pieces of kit you mention sound perfectly fine - if you want to spend 10x more for inperceptible sonic improvements built with knobs that cost £1.20p each instead of £0.60p each - fine - go for it! In a professional environment you're better off spending the money for the robustness - for the rest of us - it really doesn't matter. It doesnt take much to bury yourself well into the land of diminishing returns - this wasn't always the case.
It's true, the sound quality is there to be reckoned with. To some degree.

The build quality is a problem for me. I want my gear to be robust and solid over the long term. A sense of confidence in the equipment.

As someone that builds and repairs gear I am a bit sensitive to things like that. It becomes a "deal breaker" for me.

Not always, but sometimes. Behringer is really on a fine line of qualitative reliability and value. They seem to just barely toe the line.

So in that way, the better ones they make are indeed a good value.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
It's true, the sound quality is there to be reckoned with. To some degree.

The build quality is a problem for me. I want my gear to be robust and solid over the long term. A sense of confidence in the equipment.

As someone that builds and repairs gear I am a bit sensitive to things like that. It becomes a "deal breaker" for me.

Not always, but sometimes. Behringer is really on a fine line of qualitative reliability and value. They seem to just barely toe the line.

So in that way, the better ones they make are indeed a good value.
I totally get that - I'd happily pay twice as much for a quality piece of kit - but not 5,10,20 times as much - which is often the reality. To me, Behringer is not expensive stuff made cheap - it's a marker of what mass produced stuff should cost. As far as I'm concerned if anything costs more than three times the cost of an equivalent Behringer product - then you're paying for a badge. Sure, if something is handmade then you're paying for labour - other than that - I'm out!
Old 6 days ago
In the end, you need to sit down with a piece of gear and play it. If you connect with it, then that’s the one to choose likely. Now I am not going to even bother playing a Macbeth synth due to cost.

But If you play a decent amount of modern synths, some will feel better than others and will respond differently to your actions. I don’t know, I buy instruments so this talk of price vs value is weird..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search