The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IF U HAD TO PICK One All Around Goto PRE AMP WHAT WOULD U GET
Old 9th October 2010
Here for the gear

IF U HAD TO PICK One All Around Goto PRE AMP WHAT WOULD U GET

i am going to be recording alot of rap/pop music maybe some rock, i am looking for a good all around pre amp , right now i am renting the avalon ad2022 great peice ,crystal clear sound ,thinking about this one but is it right for me ,isnt there anything better at around this price range for multi purpose ?thanks guys
Old 9th October 2010
member no 666

This should be an interesting marketing referendum...

Anybody wanna make book on what the "usual suspects" are going to show up and sing the praises of... as in what they're A) selling and B) selling?
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

for me it has to be the Neve 5081 sounds quality shame i will never probaly own one
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

a lot of preamps are limited to their one sound. no matter how good or bad that sound might be, it is still a signature sound. You might want that.

Others are a little more flexible. One that comes to mind is the Great River that everyone around here talks about, but that is not the only choice, it is just a popular choice.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Empirical Labs

Empirical Labs Mike-E EL9 feedback

Seems pretty damn sweet to me.

G
Old 9th October 2010
Gear Maniac

anything clean with a lot of gain
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah the ones for low end usualy are..

A) FMR RNP
b) Golden Age Pre 73
C) Black Lion auteur
D) Focusrite ISA One

since this is low end, ill go with A...
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post

A) FMR RNP
b) Golden Age Pre 73
C) Black Lion auteur
D) Focusrite ISA One

I'll add the Grace m101 and you've got a close to complete list of the common great bang for buck pres. The grace is nice cause it has plenty of clean gain to use with just about any mic. Also, it stays out of the way so you can really learn what your mics sound like.
Old 9th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
This should be an interesting marketing referendum...

Anybody wanna make book on what the "usual suspects" are going to show up and sing the praises of... as in what they're A) selling and B) selling?
yeah, we have seen this list before and it includes:

API, Neve, UA, Avalon, Daking, SSL, Focusrite,....
Old 9th October 2010
Gear Head

Something not too dirty not too clean, solid state with variable impedance, and enough gain to hone in on a lit candle burning (breathing and fluttering) from a foot away through your talk back mic : )
Old 9th October 2010
I'll add the ART PRO MPA II....and no, I'm not selling one. heh

It's a great two-channel tube pre-amp.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Grace M101 or Great River ME-1NV. Probably the latter.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

I though I saw this in the high end forum earlier today. Might of been a more interesting thread over there.

Seeing as the only pres I have ever owned were cheap mixer pre amps. allen and heath right now, Modded Gap 73, and an aphex 207 I don't know how valid my opinion would be on this but I out of what I have defiantly my aphex 207 never have a problem getting it to sound good on anything.
Old 9th October 2010
Lives for gear

Daking mic pre one............Not too clean, Not too colored...just perfect
comes with high pass filter which is a god send for home studios...really a go to preamp for EVERYTHING
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Addict

I really think the Sebatron VMP is the ideal pre if you've only got one or two. I really missed it when I didn't have it and I'm glad to have it back. It is so incredibly versatile and sounds great in just about every situation.
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Head

DIY?

Have you considered building your own preamp? It's not that difficult to do and it's not too expensive. The only hard part would be finding a line-level audio interface (but mixing on a computer sucks compared to mixing on a real desk completely out of the box only using the computer for graphics)
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

IF U HAD TO PICK One All Around Goto  PRE AMP WHAT WOULD U GET-preamp.jpg
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
lmaooooo name your price
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which preamp would you recommend that sounds just like it and has the same mojo control but for less money?
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Shadow Hills Mono Gama

3 flavours in one thumbsup
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What a cheap piece of crap... It OwNLEe HAz 4 L.E,D'S!$1*!

Everyone knows that the best pre's have the most lights.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brilliant!
Old 10th October 2010
Today, its..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi View Post

A) FMR RNP
b) Golden Age Pre 73
C) Black Lion auteur
D) Focusrite ISA One

First, not selling anything lol... second, since this is low end, (and I already own the FMR RNP), I'm gonna suggest something different... something thats not yet been recommended... the Allen & Heath Zed 14. $400 USD delivered gets you 6 mic pres plus multiple stereo inputs, that to my ears on this day sound as good as the RNP.

Don't lose sight of that fact that long before boutique channel strips became fashionable, some of the best music of the last hundred years was recorded with console/mixer pres.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Presonus ADL600. Forget the presonus name, this think is killer. 2 channels of all tube preamp, but "clean" tube preamp. Can be dirty if you want it too, but this thing is stellar!!
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Honestly - there's a laundry list that would fill your needs.

I have a Vintech X73i as my best preamp.. haven't found anything that it DOESN'T work well on.

I suspect you'd find similar results from a comparable API, Daking, Great River, etc, etc.
Old 11th October 2010
Much love for the BAE 1073mpf
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsilva View Post
i am going to be recording alot of rap/pop music maybe some rock, i am looking for a good all around pre amp , right now i am renting the avalon ad2022 great peice ,crystal clear sound ,thinking about this one but is it right for me ,isnt there anything better at around this price range for multi purpose ?thanks guys
^ The 737 is the box for you... buy it and master it and never look back. Grab a pre with more mojo after that like a Vintech or MA5
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Some posts were deleted, must have been because of that brand name bashing post earlier...
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Focusrite Liquid Channel.

I don't give two (or even one) hoots what the purists say. I can get everything I need from mine and the results speak for themselves.
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had this preamp a few years ago, it was just too good for my lack of talent...lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search