Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

good one
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
Focusrite Liquid Channel.

I don't give two (or even one) hoots what the purists say. I can get everything I need from mine and the results speak for themselves.
It is the obvious choice, as it contains multiple different sounding pre-amps in one box.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

My choice would have to be the Hamptone HVTP2 pre....seems to do everything I need really well !!

David B
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwpthe3rd View Post
... the Allen & Heath Zed 14. $400 USD delivered gets you 6 mic pres plus multiple stereo inputs, that to my ears on this day sound as good as the RNP.

Don't lose sight of that fact that long before boutique channel strips became fashionable, some of the best music of the last hundred years was recorded with console/mixer pres.
+1
...and sounds like some other high $$$ desks I won't name here.

+ the EQ is really useable...very nice.
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

There are quite a few I would gladly use on any instrument and any style of music, but 90% of what I record gets recorded through and A Designs Pacifica, so I think that would have to be my answer.
Old 13th October 2010
Here for the gear

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLIES ,I HAVE A COUPLE PRE AMPS IN MIND OF WHICH TO BUY ,AND THIS WAS POSTED IN THE HIGH END SEC.I GUESS A MOD MOVED IT WHICH SUX,BECAUSE I WAS HOPEING TO GET HIGH END REPLIES.ALL IS WELL ANY WAYS HAVE GAINED QUITE THE BIT OF KNOWLEDGE HERE I AM THINKING OF A Universal,or an avalon .
Old 13th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I could make do with any of the following:

Giltronics all tube pres (AT356 2-channel, 4tmp 4-channel)

Curtis Technology Opre8

Sebatron VMP400e

Of course only the sebatron is currently in production, so I'm glad I have the others too! hehhehheh
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

GR ME-1NV will make you a happier person and more attractive to the opposite ( and the same ) sex.
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post
GR ME-1NV will make you a happier person and more attractive to the opposite ( and the same ) sex.
I reckon it will only make you attractive to male individuals of the gearslut orientation. Busy tonight?
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

See that ? I already got a date
Old 13th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
This should be an interesting marketing referendum...

Anybody wanna make book on what the "usual suspects" are going to show up and sing the praises of... as in what they're A) selling and B) selling?
Here are my 500 series that I need the money from but I just can not bring myself around to sell because they just sound to damn good,

lachapell 583 - tube warm fat can be very clean or very dirty
Avedis ma5 - neve classic pop/ rock sound
Forsell 500 series. clean and natural, you hear the truth.

With these 3 you have it all covered
Old 13th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
There are quite a few I would gladly use on any instrument and any style of music, but 90% of what I record gets recorded through and A Designs Pacifica, so I think that would have to be my answer.

I have to ask Ronan - if you had a choice and could only have one 500 series mic pre to handle as much as your needs as possible would it be the A designs p1 the lachapell 583s or the Avedis ma5.
Old 13th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsilva View Post
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT REPLIES ,I HAVE A COUPLE PRE AMPS IN MIND OF WHICH TO BUY ,AND THIS WAS POSTED IN THE HIGH END SEC.I GUESS A MOD MOVED IT WHICH SUX,BECAUSE I WAS HOPEING TO GET HIGH END REPLIES.ALL IS WELL ANY WAYS HAVE GAINED QUITE THE BIT OF KNOWLEDGE HERE I AM THINKING OF A Universal,or an avalon .
I love how you uncap'd the words "universal" and "avalon".

That was great.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler59 View Post
My choice would have to be the Hamptone HVTP2 pre....seems to do everything I need really well !!

David B

+1
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Maniac

There's a crazy guy in my fantasy football league like you. When he trash talks in the league, it seems as if he falls on the caps lock randomly. It makes me dizzy to read
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

Speck Mic Pre 5.0 is a decent choice.

Good price, clean and detailed and has a transformer button so you can keep it clean or add the transformer for a little more grit if you want it dirtier.

Also has a sweepable high pass filter.

Frank
Old 19th October 2010

Summit 2BA-221, solid state and tube in one box!
Old 19th October 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Pat
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsilva View Post

I dont think us low enders are good enough for you...haha....Joking sport
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Nut

Smile

The ISA stuff is a great blend of color and natural tone. Some say it's not colorful enough, but I find it to be ultra smooth, significantly warm, and airy as well. It works with everything, layers exceptionally well, and has a great tonal balance to it as well.

If I had the cash, I'd buy myself a 428 so I could put more ISA on my drum kits. Never enough console preamp.....That's why "neve" is the rootword of "never".
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikfriz View Post
I have to ask Ronan - if you had a choice and could only have one 500 series mic pre to handle as much as your needs as possible would it be the A designs p1 the lachapell 583s or the Avedis ma5.
That is a really tough one to answer. In full disclosure, I have not used the M5 yet, but since I think Avedis is brilliant, I feel pretty confident I would gladly make albums using only his pre amps. (and the M5 is pretty high on my shopping list)

I do not like the P-1 quite as much as the Pacifica, but since its so similar to the Pacifica and I am such a huge fan of the Pacifica, my guess is that I would go with that one. But the Lacchapell is so inanely good it could easily be a contender. But keep in mind that I love the Pacifica/P-1 because its a really balanced mic pre and super flexible and good on everything because of that. If I wanted something where I could actually get greater variation in the sound of the pre itself, the 583s would win.
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear Nut

Anything that works well with all of your mics and any mics you plan to buy in the future... and also looks cool in your studio. ;-)

That said, I am making an album right now and so far I have used -

Aurora Audio GTQ2 for kick, snare and some Rhodes piano
Focusrite ISA 428 for overheads, some bass guitar, acoustic piano
UA Solo 110 for some electric guitar (sounded "better" than the GTQ2 in this case!)
Mercury M72 for some Rhodes piano
Phoenix Audio DRSQ4 for some electric guitar
Avalon M5 for some electric guitar
Daking 52270B for some electric guitar (and probably everything else that is left to do)

Logistics and resource limitations have been my only reasons for using so many different units. I feel confident that I could have used any of these pres on every track and been extremely happy with the results.
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Neve 1084
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Neve 1084
Yep.. or that!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sebatron VMP : affordable but hangs with the big boys.
Except it's way more versatile than others.
The pads let you dig in more or less into the valves :
- you can have it quite transparent and very detailed
- or if you set it at -15db much more of valve character, fat and silky
To add to that versatility you have the two very nice EQs switches (air, bright, deep, low cut etc) the nice DI inputs (bass sounds so great through it..keys too)
Sounds big and 3D.
A very cool pre to start with, lots of bang for the buck.
It was my first good pre. I still use it all the time even though if I have API, BAE now.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For 500 series I would look at the Cranborne Audio Camden 500, I don't own one, but heard one in action in a treated room when I picked up my R8 and it's now on my wishlist, the Thump and Cream mojo circuits are really something else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search