The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A5X vs Adam A7 vs Adam A7X
Old 13th September 2010
Deleted User

out of the three, whats the best to go with? where are the differences?
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Head

The number is the size of the woofer - don't bother with the 5s if you're thinking of the 7s. A7X is the new version of the A7.

Get the A7X.

/thread
Old 13th September 2010
I brought my A7's in to my retailer to listen against the A7x. The double bass ports hype them up a hair. The tweeters are somehow brighter at least to my ears. The midrange is still much the same. They're nice but I would definitely dial back the tweeter in my space.
Old 13th September 2010
Deleted User
the reason for getting the a7´s would be price. are the a7x really worth 400$ more? that is the question
Old 13th September 2010
Here for the gear

I recently bought the A7x and I am really happy with them in every aspect. It is worth the extra money. I would never go with the A7 the low end is not good so you would need an extra sub and the hights are clearer on the A7x.
Old 14th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luze View Post
I recently bought the A7x and I am really happy with them in every aspect. It is worth the extra money. I would never go with the A7 the low end is not good so you would need an extra sub and the hights are clearer on the A7x.
The low end on the A7's is very capable. Adding a sub to the room doesn't necessarily mean your mix is going to thump more. Again, they are very similar, great monitors but the x series came off as a little hyped in comparison which is possibly due to the bass ports (this is my guess, feel free to correct me). Same with the highs, my first couple of mixes on my A7's were a little dull with that ribbon tweeter all the way up. I definitely wouldn't pay an extra 400 for the X Series, not that they suck but they're much more money for a little more a bad thing. I'd try for the originals. Again, these monitors are great. Aside of laying down some ridiculous cash for Barefoots or the higher end Adams I haven't heard anything better.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Have A7s and a TS10. Works wonders in a big treated room.
If your room isn't treated, get the A7s and $400 worth of treatment. (not auralex foam) read on into the forums for more on that...
Old 14th September 2010
Deleted User
man this is confusing, oine says i should definetly go with the a7x, where the other one says i should go with the old ones..... too baad i cant hear them myself to make my own opinion!
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
man this is confusing, oine says i should definetly go with the a7x, where the other one says i should go with the old ones..... too baad i cant hear them myself to make my own opinion!
Having read the other responses, I'm going to make things easier for you and retract my previous statement. Get the original A7s.

I've never had any bass issues with mine, and if all that's justified the A7x is an additional bass port that results in a hyped sound, that's not a monitor I would want to mix on, because then you're constantly mixing things adjusting for a hyped bass or treble that isn't there on any other speaker.

On A7s, once you get to know how they sound in your room, what you mix is what you get on other systems, end of story. This, plus the fact that the A7x's are that much more expensive, means the A7s are the obvious choice.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

I'm gonna make it a lot easier and cheaper and get lots of angry replies. But I would go for Behringer B3030A. Best bang for the buck out there. And yes I have owned Adam A7. A7 are really good but I think Behringers are even better and a lot cheaper.
Old 14th September 2010
Dont know about behringer but I have A7s for more than 2years. I dislike S3Ax horizontal (S3A H sounds much better) but I really like S3Ax vertical (great and full mid range).

Ok A7 bass is not a heavy boom in your music club. Btw I use to make them work as club monitors for my friends wedding (30x39m around 40 people in) it played for more then 16 hours at very loud point (people in a village woke up late to work next morning) and guests also was dancing there. I thought its a last count down for them but it wasnt! After that they played the same and I have never problem with monitoring in studio anyway. Now lets go back to comparison.

A5 sounds close to A7 but A7 are just better. A5 are great for minivan (they are tiny) and small home studio. You can do a same mixes on A5 - dont think you cant. But A7 just offer bit more sound spectrum and are "accurate". Dont know about A7x. It is interesting to listen to them ..... but man.. to honest - A7 is more then enogh. You can do amazing thing on them. I had mackie HR828 (i do hip-hop music) and the bass spectrum on mines A7 is just more accurate. I can hear a second octave (around 40hz) and its very low anyway. Please dont buy original sub! Doesnt work well with them. Or if you have one dont run signal thru. It just make some shady distortion in A7s. I use sub now (after 2years - before it wasnt nessesary) only under 45hz. Just to color my room a little bit. BTW I place woofer into my seat! and it works great for me.

SOME TIPS for you:

1) never use them in untreated room. These monitors are very sensetive to accoustics. they can be agressive
2) use good amp
3) use good cabling (i use cinch - sounds the same as XLR) Just dont buy crap
4) Use good power source (clean singnal -- less ultra noise) I use 20buck china adapter with filter = works better then french belkin for more then 250bucks! 250v 63db filter and no prob with brand Sound will become more accurate.
5) never push backside EQ - try to make a better accoustics. A7s are very well balanced.
6) keep the distance from the wall (in a matter of standing wave)
7) keep the distance from the listening position (in a matter of detail)
8) buy some granite under them. Bass will be bit accurate
9) Distance max 2m between them. Otherwise you will lose stereocontrol
10) Tweeters should not be abreast your ears but a little bit (2cm) higher
11) turn them to you by inside wall (I mean do V position for them) Your eye is ok metering. But I use laser flash to correct the listening position.
12) dont trust magazines - trust your ears!

Any questions?
Old 14th September 2010
Deleted User
tom, theres someone who says the same about the behringers as you, its him: Behringer B3031A Speakers????? - Page 2 - Home Recording Forum

so my options are A7 and behringer. any other good reviews on the behringers? they are less than half the price of the adams. if theyre really that good, im gonna get them.

is the b3031a superior to the b3030a?
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghello View Post
2) use good amp
3) use good cabling (i use cinch - sounds the same as XLR) Just dont buy crap
4) Use good power source (clean singnal -- less ultra noise) I use 20buck china adapter with filter = works better then french belkin for more then 250bucks! 250v 63db filter and no prob with brand Sound will become more accurate.
8) buy some granite under them. Bass will be bit accurate

Any questions?
Questions: yes.

2) These are powered. What amp are you talking about?
3) What are cinch cables exactly?
4) This is bordering on audiophool nonsense. I suggest treading lightly here
8) What? Possibly see #4.
Old 15th September 2010
Deleted User
any1 else remcommending behringers over adam a7? and how do the behringers B3030A compare to krk rokit rp5 gp2 / adam a3x?
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Addict

I hear a lot of good things about the A7, but 50W to the 8" driver? Really, that's it? I know they've up the power on the A7X, so on just the shear power increase, I'd say the A7X are worth $400 more.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
any1 else remcommending behringers over adam a7? and how do the behringers B3030A compare to krk rokit rp5 gp2 / adam a3x?
I had KRK rp5's here for a while and those sound very different from 3030's. But telling you how something sounds is too subjective and also my room different from yours. If you have a chance go to store and give 3030 a listen. Blind test yourself
Old 15th September 2010
Deleted User
all in all, would you pick the behringers over the krks though?
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
abso fu**ing lutely.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
I just listened to both at Guitar Center a couple of days ago, and the Behringers sounded way better. I really don't even think it's "subjective". They sounded better hands down.
Old 15th September 2010
Deleted User
ok then its still behringer vs adam. too bad i cant listen to hem myself. i have found a "studio veteran" who says the same as you tom and then, in another forum someone says they dont sound like adams in no way. everyone has a different opinion. maybe ill cast the dice to help me decide. or get em both LOL!!

btw, is a sub neccessary when going with adams? i have deal for 1165€ adam7+sub8
Old 16th September 2010
Deleted User
ok ive been talking to an employee of a big music store and he says the following:

Behringer Truth B3030A: medium quality, but low-priced

Yamaha HS80M: very present in the mids, good for singer/songwriter music, folk, speech-produktions

Adam A5X: very good momentum behaviour, crisp bass, very good for rock

Adam A7: very good price-performance ratio, clear high-presence, very good for pop/dance produktions

how you think bout this?
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
...how you think bout this?
I think it's wrong, if only on the principle that it is absurd to associate a monitor with a style of music.

I do acoustic folk, electronic, electric pop, rock, jazz, and the occasional classical (small ensemble) gig in my studio. How would a classification such as that help me decide which monitors I should choose? Do I need 5 sets of monitors to help me track or mix down each style of project?

Monitors are supposed to be as flat and unflattering as possible, meaning they should not lend themselves more to one style than another. The air doesn't know what kind of music is causing the waves of pressure within it, and it shouldn't matter.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I think it's wrong, if only on the principle that it is absurd to associate a monitor with a style of music.

I do acoustic folk, electronic, electric pop, rock, jazz, and the occasional classical (small ensemble) gig in my studio. How would a classification such as that help me decide which monitors I should choose? Do I need 5 sets of monitors to help me track or mix down each style of project?

Monitors are supposed to be as flat and unflattering as possible, meaning they should not lend themselves more to one style than another. The air doesn't know what kind of music is causing the waves of pressure within it, and it shouldn't matter.
i agree
Old 19th September 2010
I wouldn't trust the Behringers to last very long. Then again there are plenty of reports on the A7's power failing. Put them on their own supply.
Stay clear of yellow cones.
Old 20th September 2010
Gear Head

Get a Monitor that'll work, then...

I have Behringer 2021As, and I like them a lot. (for what it's worth)

My suggestion:

1.) Buy monitors that you can sit in front of for 8+ hours (low monitor fatigue)
2.) Adapt the room for those monitors (room treatment)

I've listened to ADAMs, and they sound great. But I got my 2021s on craigslist for $180. You're not going to find a monitor that will put out a total flat signal in your studio, your studio acoustics just have too much to deal with the sound.

Quality I found with monitors really start at laughable junk and QUICKLY rise to a plateau of reasonable quality. You don't need the best, you just don't need crap.

So get something (that isn't crap) and build your room around those speakers.
Old 22nd September 2010
Deleted User
i think the behringers are enough for my needs. now the question is just b3030a or b3031a. i heared somewhere bigger = better cause it can go lower, but i dunno if its true. remember i use this for a digital piano.
Old 22nd September 2010
Deleted User
ok ive been talking to my dealer and he says he wouldnt go for behringers, but for esi near08 experience. i was just about to buy those behringers, and then this. what a disaster!
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok ive been talking to my dealer and he says he wouldnt go for behringers, but for esi near08 experience. i was just about to buy those behringers, and then this. what a disaster!
why won't you just go and listen?? have 3030 3031 near08 in front of you and choose the best one. I gotta sell my Behringers now because your dealer said not to get B's...
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think the behringers are enough for my needs. now the question is just b3030a or b3031a. i heared somewhere bigger = better cause it can go lower, but i dunno if its true. remember i use this for a digital piano.
The bigger your speakers, the further you have to sit from them. You have to sit a good ~3 feet from HS80s before they start to sound at all integrated (ie, no obvious massive gap between the LF and HF drivers). I'm sat ~1.5 feet from my A7s listening right now, and the cross-over point is pretty much seamless to my ears.

If you're just playing your digital piano, I wouldn't worry about these sorts of things too much though. Most digital pianos have quite a coloured sound as it is, speaker distortion is just another sort of colouration!
Old 23rd September 2010
Deleted User
i have to drive 6 hours to the next store which i wont do cause its so long.

ill sit pretty much in front of them, maybe 1 feet away. so i have to look into smaller speakers, i guess..
📝 Reply