The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adam A5X vs Adam A7 vs Adam A7X
Old 25th September 2014
Here for the gear

I have A7 for a few years now & I would recommend them to everybody I had no chance to compare it to other models but even if you buy a5x or f5 I'm sure you will be happy with them.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac
I realize that this is an old thread, but I used to make greaat mixes on the original Adam A7's with a Sub8. I had them about 7 years. One day one of them got damaged and I had to replace them. I assumed the A7x would be the first natural choice, but that was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.
The A7x's are totally different speakers. I had a long period where I couldn't really make my mixes translate to the outside world and my guess is because of the 'hyped sound'.

I then switched to the Focal Solo6 be's and Twins and finally got my mojo back. Mixing became fun again. I also found a secondhand pair of original Adam A7s, so I'm getting those back as well.

Conclusion: monitors are tools. What works for you, does not have to work for someone else. Higher pricing of studio monitors doesnt necessarily equal better results in mixing because you can hear every single detail. It's about knowing your room and your monitors more than anything else. For me, the Adam A7's, it's honesty, the voicing.. it all clicks for me. In a well mixed song, the kick really comes out in the middle, the vocal neatly on top but not overly loud, just right. It's easy to get a quick balance. What you hear on them is what you will hear outside.

To further examplify, I used to test the tracks I mixed in the Bose Car system of my parents Audi A6. And it 99% of the time, I heard all the flaws that the Adams showed me. They are BEASTS, even in 2017.. I consider them GREAT nearfields for mixing.
📝 Reply