The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA 710 Twin-Finity tube replace
Old 8th September 2010
UA 710 Twin-Finity tube replace

I'm waiting for my new 710 Twin-Finity to arrive but I'm already wondering......
I have few nice "almost NOS" tubes (telefunken ECC81 and ECC83, RCA 12AT7, Mullard 12AT7 and others) do you think it there colud be room for improvement changing the original tube with one of these?
anyone did a tube swap?
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Up!

I know there is juste one tube so it might not change a lot, but it interests me.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

If you already have the tubes, then by all means, go for it! You can use both your 12AX7s (aka ECC83) and 12AT7s (ECC81) safely. The 12AT7s will have less gain and are typically a little more open in the highs along with having a bit more dynamics. The Telefunkens have fast response and airy, present highs. The vintage Mullard and RCA 12AT7s vary a bit, depending on which version you have. Generally, they tend to be warm in the mids with open (but not bright) highs.
If your tubes are in good shape, they should make a very nice improvement in your 710.
Old 20th September 2010
tube swap

thanks for your answers.....I have to be honest, as soon I got it I changed the tube with the Telefunken ECC83, I discussed this with a friend which is a hell of a technician for anything with tubes, he suggest me to swap it right away.
There was a JJ ECC83s in it, my frien told me that tube is pretty good for a guitar preamp but not for a mic preamp.
I didn't have the chance to make real voice takes and mix them but my impression is very very good....
The only remarks I have are...the knobs looks very cheap, and the gain has a step between 3.5 and 4 where the level increase very quickly.
For the rest I think is a very good preamp.
As a DI is incredible, the guitar sound really like is connected to a good clean amp.
Old 6th February 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, i have a UA 710 , and i also happen to have an old ECC83 lying around, would you definantly recommend the swap?

did you get a chance to listen to the difference it made?
Old 7th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrain View Post
i'm waiting for my new 710 twin-finity to arrive but i'm already wondering......
I have few nice "almost nos" tubes (telefunken ecc81 and ecc83, rca 12at7, mullard 12at7 and others) do you think it there colud be room for improvement changing the original tube with one of these?
Anyone did a tube swap?
e 2
can you post pictures of the inside of the 710? I just got the mp 100 i want to compare the inside of the 2 units. Thanks
Old 9th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimebucker View Post
Hi, i have a UA 710 , and i also happen to have an old ECC83 lying around, would you definantly recommend the swap?

did you get a chance to listen to the difference it made?
to be honest I swapped the original tube right away, I didn't even switch it on right out of the box.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear
There's a world of difference between a Telefunken ECC83 and "an old ECC83 lying around". They're not all created equal, without knowing exactly what you've got there, who can say?

Bowie will correct me if I've got this wrong, but JJ ECC803S (current production tube) is what I'm using in non-microphonic gear (e.g. LA-610). It sounds nicer to my ears that many others I've tried.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

710 power......I know people will start modding this.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

I have a 12ax7 Telefunken in mine and to me it sounds more balanced than the Chinese tube that was in it new....
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

One thing a person has to know is that the tube side still uses solid state chips/fets before and after the tube. I dont have the 'prints' but my assumption is that the input and final output Solid State devices are shared with both sides so the tube swap wont change the sound as much as if you had an all tube pre amplifier like the UA 610 or a Groove Tubes Brick....the 710 has a full sounding color to it which is good on both sides clean and tube side...

I may be flamed for this, but I personaly feel NOS balanced tubes for these preamps aint worth it, buy yourself a used tested tube from someone with decent feedback who sells tubes, certain NOS tele's can go for $75 each or much more for matched pairs where as a used Tele can be had for as low as $20-25....
Old 7th November 2013
Here for the gear

For anyone that swapped the tube on the ua-710, was there any calibration necessary like the ua site suggests? (hope not)
I'm Aware that this is an old thread so the reply may not be so swift.
Old 4th December 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesDomingo View Post
For anyone that swapped the tube on the ua-710, was there any calibration necessary like the ua site suggests? (hope not)
Bump!
Old 15th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesDomingo View Post
I called UA's customer service phone number and "Jacob" over at UA did NOT know the answer to that question. I said to him, "you work there and don't know if your UA710 needs to be re-calibrated after swapping the tube in it?? He simply said, "no"...SMH What he did say was for me to try it and if I didn't like it then just to switch back to the stock JJ tube that comes with it. So I tried it. I put a Telefunken ECC83 tube in it and it made a huge difference. So no, I don't think you need to "re-calibrate" anything. Everything worked fine and the sound was so much better than that "JJ" tube that comes with it. I believe its all part of UA's marketing campaign to get you in a store to buy more of their gear. I don't know..
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Addict

Just to be clear, you modded the UA 710, not the 4-710d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieslutgear View Post
I called UA's customer service phone number and "Jacob" over at UA did NOT know the answer to that question. I said to him, "you work there and don't know if your UA710 needs to be re-calibrated after swapping the tube in it?? He simply said, "no"...SMH What he did say was for me to try it and if I didn't like it then just to switch back to the stock JJ tube that comes with it. So I tried it. I put a Telefunken ECC83 tube in it and it made a huge difference. So no, I don't think you need to "re-calibrate" anything. Everything worked fine and the sound was so much better than that "JJ" tube that comes with it. I believe its all part of UA's marketing campaign to get you in a store to buy more of their gear. I don't know..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Replacement needs calibration

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...nalog-Hardware

"Microphonics Test for the 710 Twin-Finity and 4-710d Twin-Finity Preamplifiers
Remove the top cover of the unit. Turn on the unit and let it warm up for about 5 minutes or so. Replace the cover lid, but do not install the screws just yet.
Set the Input Select switch to MIC, 15dB PAD switch to OFF, BLEND control all the way clockwise to TUBE, LOW CUT switch to OFF, and PHASE switch to INø. With no input to the unit, send the output from the unit to any channel on a mixer. Set the LEVEL pot to ‘5’ and the faders on the mixer to about halfway up. Do not send output to the main monitors. Use headphones only, but do not put on the headphones yet.
Slowly turn the GAIN pot all the way up. A squealing sound before the output reaches full level is a symptom of a bad tube.
If the unit reaches full output as it should, then put on the headphones — but just partially! With the tip of a fingernail, gently tap on top of the tubes (be careful!) and listen for any pops, spikes, rattling, or noises other than normal hiss. Any noise present in the audio path is a sign of a bad tube.
Tube replacement for the 4-710d and 710 requires additional calibration due to their tube-to-transitor topologies. With this in mind, we recommend that tube replacement for the 4-710d or 710 should only be performed at a qualified Universal Audio Service Center. To find a service center near you, please contact UA Customer Support."
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I've been curious about swapping the tubes in my 4710d for a while now. The stock ones are way too farty for me most of the time. I think I also need to recalibrate the VU meters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search