The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adam a5x
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Adam a5x

Does anyone have those ? and can you tell me your Expierince ?
are they worth buying it ? etc....im curious about these monitors cuz i cant find no reviews about them on the net
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

There is quite a discussion about the entire A*x line here. Some very good information can be found within.
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
There is quite a discussion about the entire A*x line here. Some very good information can be found within.
Thanks.heh
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

The A5x aint realy a popular speaker i see
Old 25th August 2010
Gear Nut

In love with the A7s. I'm sure everyone knows by now.
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrguru View Post
In love with the A7s. I'm sure everyone knows by now.
That,s the problem :P seems taht the A5x is a rare adam speaker cuz people only speak about the a7 a7x and a8x
Old 25th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdupproductions View Post
The A5x aint realy a popular speaker i see
Sorry, the link didn't take. I edited it.

It hasn't been out very long so.....
Old 26th September 2010
Deleted User
any more information?
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just had a listen to a couple of a5x speakers. Damn man, for that price, they sound goooooooood! I experienced them as very truthful. Problems with mixes became blatantly obvious. The x-art tweeter sounds sweet also. Super crisp and detailed. Go to a store that has them and have a listen!
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have the old A7's and love them to death. never heard the new ones, but have heard good things.

the thing about the old A7's is that they had a checkered record for reliability. they were absolutely the only speakers I wanted that I could afford, so I bought a 3-year store warranty so I wouldn't have to deal with Adam in case things went south. so far so good. you might want to check to make sure they are not having production issues with the new line.
Old 9th December 2010
Gear Head

le me tell you what a gearslut is: was in audio production/club/gigs till 5-7 years ago. migrated to video (conjunctures...) few months back decide to revive my old passion: sound.
listen, read ask, compare, think, wonder etc. decide go adam a7 or focal CMS50. buy 2nd, cause new X was about to come. now almost sure the A/B will be completed by A5X. didn't hear them. repeat, almost sure i'll take em based on 7 and 5 old series. BUT till i'll listen them (when they were available, no money. when money, no stock) i'm diggin like a crazy dog for a BIG review/test. nothing till now. just fair but short opinions. Like Dudevico did. or biased one way or another. nothing to blame.

the question: how passionate, blind, addicted, troll, can someone be?
the answer: a lot, i guess. YYY-Haaaaaa!
Old 4th February 2011
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Adam A5X

I bought pair of Adams A5X's not so long ago. Before them had some experience with Tannoy's and NS10's. At first it seemed to me, that they are lacking bass, and highs were to harsh, but when I burned them, as you suppose to do when buy them, everything changed. Now they're sounding very good. I hear problems in different mixes, that I never heard before . Recommend them to everybody with limited budget.
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry for the noob question but what do mean by "burning" the speakers?

Just play really loud for an amount of time or...? :-)
Old 5th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy666 View Post
Sorry for the noob question but what do mean by "burning" the speakers?

Just play really loud for an amount of time or...? :-)

In audiophools land means playing music through them for a considerable period of time which will make the speakers 'better'. For normal people it means listening to the speakers and getting used to their, er, idiosyncracies. So you just get used to their being bass-light or mid-forward or whatever, and adapt. NS10's are not accurate speakers by any stretch but are ubiquitous and still arguably the only industry-standard monitor. Cos we're used to the way they sound. And there lies the lesson.
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

Makes sense now thanks :-)
Old 5th May 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs3 View Post
In audiophools land means playing music through them for a considerable period of time which will make the speakers 'better'. For normal people it means listening to the speakers and getting used to their, er, idiosyncracies.
No entirely. Without going in too much of details - Burning your speaker means that you have to work on them (simply play music ad middle level of max range) until they are playing music as they are supposed to do. Almost any manual of any serious monitoring system recommend burning your monitors by playing music on them. Factor is depending on speaker build technology etc. Some need 20 hours of playing, some little longer etc. But that's it.

Of course getting used to them is another factor but does not have anything with burning them in.

Not having anything with actual "burn" or "fire"
Old 31st May 2011
Lives for gear

Would also appreciate some more reviews and comparisons with the A5x being the main topic.
Interested in these as well, but don't want to count off A7x. They are just really costing a f#ing lot for my situation.

If anyone knows esi near 05 (i have them for years now), how would you compare..

esi near 05 > Adam A5x > Adam A7 / A7x?
Would the A5x be closer to A7 / A7x or rather not a big step up from the ESI?

Small room here, 6x4 metres.
Old 3rd June 2011
Here for the gear

Well I can write you my subjective findings on A5x vs. A7x. I tested them for one day and I think they were both burn in.

A5x's had a slight bump in higher mids and were not sounding so full (in bass and mids) compared to A7x's no matter the controls backside. I was also not been able to get rid of that bump with backside controls.

On the other side the A5x's had just fantastic 3D-ness, you could almost "see" instruments in music and they sounded much tighter on transients (kick, snare..), almost too much. They were very very pleasurable and revealing to listen to at *low* levels.

In the end I found A7x's to be more balanced for mixing (for me) and that is why I bought them.

But the story continues Soon I heard one of the monitors buzzing (it was transformer buzz when the voltage in mains power was a little lower), then after a few months another monitor just went dead; the on/off switch self-broke in off position. I hadn't pressed that switch more than 10 times. The quality of the monitors is just bad. I turned them both on warranty, got them repaired and everything is good (for now).
Old 20th February 2012
Here for the gear

Selling / trading used gear?

Hello Forum,

I'm new to the area and was wondering if anyone can point out what is the best way to sell or trade used equipment (monitors to be specific)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

- Alphascan
Old 20th February 2012
Here for the gear

Adam A5x were my first proper monitor purchase and they were absolutely great. I wanted the A7x but the budget just wouldn't cut it so I opted for the A5x. You honestly won't go wrong with them.
Old 20th February 2012
Here for the gear

Hi bouf, thanks for the response. I am looking to sell / swap my A5X's.
I recently sold my BM5A's and bought the A5X, they are great monitors, I agree, but I'm missing the BM5A's, I guess its all a matter of what you're used to.

thanks, alphascan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouf View Post
Adam A5x were my first proper monitor purchase and they were absolutely great. I wanted the A7x but the budget just wouldn't cut it so I opted for the A5x. You honestly won't go wrong with them.
Old 20th February 2012
Here for the gear

Sorry Alphascan I was responding to the original thread, although if you're looking to sell there is an entire section devoted to that on the main page
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Addict

I had a listen to the a7x and a5x side by side and they are both great. The 5's were definitely a little more boxy but the level of detail was more or less the same as the 7's. 7's sounded more open and had a little more depth as such. I kind of liked the boxiness of the 5's but the low frequency response on the 7's would make them my first choice.

I was told by the clerk in the store that the Adam's low freq response drops off very steeply at the low threshold. 50hz drop off on the A5x was not quite enough bass for me. Although the price is tempting!
Old 23rd February 2012
Gear Addict

In a small room, the a5xs are probably better.But you should really try to find some to audition.
Old 24th February 2012
Here for the gear

^^ I agree. Without hearing the A7x's I never would have felt so strongly about them, and subsequently the A5x's

IMO if you're preparing to spend hundreds of £s it's definitely worth spending on travel to go somewhere to hear the things! I had to do it but it was well worth it.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Addict

Alright guys, I decided to purchase the A5x and can say that they are phenomenal! I'm surprised at how small these are. I was afraid there wouldn't be sufficient bass but the pump out PLENTY of bass. The room controls in the back are very nice, subtle but helpful in taming low frequencies in my tiny room. The low end is super defined and tight! Just finished a mix on them and it's my best mix to date. Translated beautifully to other systems. I had to guess a lot with my old KRK Rokits (nothing compared to these). It is definitely true what they say about having less ear fatigue with these X-art tweeters. Such a pleasure to mix on! Not too bright either. Something that is very impressive is how good they sound when you crank it - everything stays defined. They also play nicely at very low volumes. The carbon cone must have a lot to do with this. Very detailed. I prefer these to my mate's KRK VXTs.

I can't recommend these enough! If anyone has any questions about them, feel free to PM me.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Thanks for bringing this thread up

I'm about to upgrade my KRK RP5 + 10s sub

In my country there is no Focals, BlueSky or Dynaudio

So Mackie, KRK VXT and Adam are my only options

i was hesitating between 3x 5x or 7x

Now i'm feeling more into 5x and keeping the sub.

Thanks mate
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Nut

I had been trying out the 5x at my local music store for a few months now. I decided to buy them today.

I knew the bass was not as defined as in other speakers, but everything else is crisp. Very transparent mids and "obvious" highs. And the bass, is not that bad considering the size of the cone. Although, I am already looking into a sub, but that is because I'm obsessed with getting the perfect kick sound :D

They are definitely worth the money.
Old 22nd June 2016
Here for the gear

i can highly recommend the a5x for small rooms! wasn't that happy first when i tried them in my big studio with 25m² due to a lack of bass, but now in my homestudio which has around 11 or 12m² they sound really full & defined that i just fell in love with these little speakers
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Head
I have the A3Xs (4.5" woofer) and I love them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search