The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portable/Field Recorders Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

Portable/Field Recorders

So I am in the market for a low cost field recorder. Something I could use for a bit of everything. I have been looking at the Tascam DR-08, which seems like a good buy, and while it doesn't have XLR inputs, I can kinda deal with it. Anyone have any experience with these? Namely, how would an external mic through the the mini in be on quiet sources, such as voice for low budget film/video production?
I am also looking for alternatives, prefer XLR in but again not too important if the pre for external mics is quiet enough. I don't want any of the Zoom products, because I have heard about hiss and an inaccurate internal clock. My price range is up to $200. Any suggestions?
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac630 View Post
I don't want any of the Zoom products, because I have heard about hiss and an inaccurate internal clock. My price range is up to $200. Any suggestions?
Eh don't know where you heard that. I have the Zoom H4N and love it. It's the only recorder that has XLR built in. Of course it's out of your price range anyway.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, xlr in....that leaves you 2 choices: 1. Zoom h4n or 2. Tascam Dr 100.
You might get lucky and find one on the bay for about your price range, but as Liquid Shadow pointed out they are about $100 or so more. Good luck. hehhehheh
Old 5th July 2010
Here for the gear

I have both the Zoom H2 and the Zoom H4 (the original, not the H4n), and I like them both a lot. I use the H2 for ambient field recording, and some on the fly interview stuff, but have never plugged a microphone into it. The H4 is my portable interview rig. I use it with two Rode NTG1 shotguns with pop filters, and I've been really happy with the results. Wait a month, save up the cash, and get the H4n. It's worth your time and money. (IMHO)
Old 5th July 2010
Gear Head

I was at my local GC for their 4th of July sale and they had the Tascam DR-07 on sale for $99. Doesn't take XLR though. Get a mic that doesn't need phantom and can run on batteries (AT813, ATM31/33, AKG C1000). You might also check out a handheld stereo mic or the really small mics (soundprofessionals.com).
Old 5th July 2010
Gear Nut

Put a little extra in for the Tascam Dr-100, it's just a great recorder. The only thing that is more useful about the h4n is the fact that you can record the onboard simultaniously with the XLRs.

The tascam DR-100 has lithium ion battery and AA which is super nice when you're running low on one just switch over to the other and keep going. The pres are very nice sounding and quiet, the best of all in it's category for sure. 2 sets of stereo onboard mics and 2 XLR inputs. Another feature is the remote control that comes with and this is very handy when working with budget films.

I have used many from yamaha pocket track, zoom h4/h4n, tascam dr-1,07,100 and this is by far the best.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Wow never knew that the Tascam has XLR input too. Looks like a nice recorder.
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

have a look at this, posted just a few days ago, there's a couple of new (very) low cost items that could be a good option

ESI Rekord-M, Zoom H1: the summer of cheap handy recorders | AudioNewsRoom
Old 6th July 2010
I can't believe no one has suggested this.

In the USA BHphotovideo.com is selling the Sony PCM-M10 for $199. Best sounding of any deck on-board mics, one of the lowest noise mic preamps regardless of deck cost, preamp is virtually overload proof handling up to +2 dBu !!!, runs 20 hours on 2 AA, and fits with room to spare in a shirt pocket. There's nothing in sight even close to beating it for value/audio quality at +2-4X cost in everyway I can think of.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySonic View Post
I can't believe no one has suggested this.

In the USA BHphotovideo.com is selling the Sony PCM-M10 for $199. Best sounding of any deck on-board mics, one of the lowest noise mic preamps regardless of deck cost, preamp is virtually overload proof handling up to +2 dBu !!!, runs 20 hours on 2 AA, and fits with room to spare in a shirt pocket. There's nothing in sight even close to beating it for value/audio quality at +2-4X cost in everyway I can think of.
Yes the Sony is very good. But if you read the first post, the OP would like to have XLR inputs. I almost bought the Sony M10 myself but went with the Zoom H4N because I needed the XLR/Line input myself.
Old 6th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
Yes the Sony is very good. But if you read the first post, the OP would like to have XLR inputs. I almost bought the Sony M10 myself but went with the Zoom H4N because I needed the XLR/Line input myself.
Considering the Zoom decks overload so very easily, might it be better just to operate external XLR mics using external powering and/or simple XLR-to-miniplug patch adapter into M10?

http://www.sonicstudios.com/xlr-3f.jpg
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Yes it's an option like someone had already suggested, using a battery operated mic. However I use my Zoom as a backup recording machine and it takes a separate mix from my interface, I never had any of the problems that you described.

IMHO the Zoom H4N, Tascam DR-100 and Sony M10 are all solid options.
Old 6th July 2010
From what I recall, Zoom decks typically handle from -10 to at most +2 dBu (H4n rating) maximums LINE input depending on model. Sony M10 cleanly handles over +24 dBu !!!

You're obviously very lucky and/or not running anything near pro line levels into your Zoom if not ever experiencing overloading.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Eh I haven't heard anybody having that problem on here, and plenty of people have the Zoom.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySonic View Post
You're obviously very lucky and/or not running anything near pro line levels into your Zoom if not ever experiencing overloading.
You're obviously not running anything near pro into your M10. The thing is crap. As well as not what the OP was asking about. Before you leave, can you just say overloading one last time... heh
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludge_Roach View Post
You're obviously not running anything near pro into your M10. The thing is crap. As well as not what the OP was asking about. Before you leave, can you just say overloading one last time... heh
Ouch Sludge, glad you said it and not me haha.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Shadow View Post
Ouch Sludge, glad you said it and not me haha.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Head
the Sony m10 is an excellent recorder - internal mics are very low noise. The quality has been attested to by many field recordists - see the naturerecordists group on yahoo for links to various tests by people with years of professional experience. Or look on taperssection.com for in depth discussion. I am not aware of any overload problem with the Sony when used according to the sorts of information you can find on taperssection.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search