The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen and Heath ZED 10-FX
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear interested

Also USB-port doesn't give signal anymore (does recognize).
I just cannot understand why it suddenly not working.
This toy is going to warranty service.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienHealth View Post
Hi Musiclee,
Yes the change will be implemented on new mixers though I would need to confirm an effective date.
If it is an essential function that you need then I'm sure we can find a way to make it happen, especially if we are not overwhelmed with requests for it.
You can either contact support@allen-heath.com or PM me for more info.
Cheers,
Mike.

Dear Mike,

Here are a couple of things I HOPE you will change to make the zed-10fx THE KILLER mixer (it sounds AWESOME - and VERY SMALL - great!! :-):

1. An effect mute button on the mixer
2. An effect mute foot control
3. CH 3 & 4 - the line input when not used for guitar should be the excact same as CH 1 & 2 (perhaps a switch "high imp" / "normal imp"
4. ST 1 / ST2 should be able to work in mono = left/mono input
5. when fx-edit (TAP held down) when holding down it should move instead of having to hold TAB down AND pushing SEL many times e.i. to go from small room to large room.
6. an extra edit knob for the fx (like soundcraft efx8)
7. Ballance on the MAIN MIX Level (Love that MAIN MIX Level is NOT two faders but would like to control a ballance for some rooms)
8. Mute on each CH

2. 3. & 6. are for me really important.

Any plans on adding those for the next version???

Please let me know and we will by 25 copies to the school.

Your zed-10 just sounds great!!!!! -We are just really missing some of the above features.

Benni

Last edited by chawes; 17th September 2011 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: tolk of my private email
Old 5th October 2011
Gear interested

Solo..... And hello

First of all - hi all fellow slutz
I've been reading this board for years, but only just signed up today, as reading this thread on A&H ZED boards made me think if the following mod would be possible..... I have a Zed 428 which I absolutely love, but I really miss one simple feature - Solo.... Even though I use only synths, drum machines and the like my mixing / engineering techniques Resemble those of my great 70's reggae/dub engineers.... Lee scratch perry, yabby You, errol Thompson, Bunny Lee...you get my drift

So question is: would it be possible to modify the Pfl to act as a true solo button.... As it is now, the Pfl only solo' the signal on the headphone output, not on the main mix out, and I really need to be able to solo an instrument for creative purposes in my mixdown phase..... I don't use computers - mix directly to 2 track reel to reel, so I cannot achieve this in " post production "

Wow - long first post, for a simple question but hey - I guess I'm properly introduced now

Ps. This is not a gripe with the 428 design - I knew there was no solo when I bought it

Peace

Daffydub
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi Mike, (AlienHeath)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuRnitUpsuM View Post
Just curious if A&H have any plans for a Zed-10 ish small format mixer with 10i/10o 24-bit USB interface....
just curiousity
I am waiting to buy an A&H ZED-10 ish until this have USB 2 and 24 bits.

Three months after this question, Any plan with this ?

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2011
Here for the gear
Hey guys

I bought the Zed10FX about 4 days ago.

On my computer, I turned the Mixing board into an input and my normal computer speakers as the output. That's good.

However, I'm getting a 0.1 second delay between the board and the computer. I'm using a Keyboard. Is there any way I can get rid of delay?
Old 25th March 2012
Gear Head

Hey guys,

is there a limiter in zed-10?
& what happens if my laptop dies during performance -
will the mixer also shut down? because I would still have a drum computer left
to help me through the laptop break.

thanks
Old 5th June 2012
Gear interested

Hello,

I have a big problem with my ZED 10FX mixer which I'll try explaining the easiest way possible. Firstly, I had a Line6 Live XT guitar processor which I used through a USB cable to record music, and at the same time run as playback for that same recordings. I want to do the exact same thing with my mixer. So, I opened up Cubase, setup everything perfectly (ASIO drivers on 24ms latency) and here's the problem. When I set the switch on RECORD on my mixer, there is no latency and I can hear only the pure sound coming from the guitar through the mixer (optionally mixed with the effects board), but when i press the playback switch i can hear an annoying latency which practically makes it impossible for me to record and not to make big rhytmic mistakes. As I've told you before I recorded the same way with my Line6 XT Live, on the same PC, through the same USB port and cable using the same effects in Cubase so i'm left baffled with no idea what to do.

I'm begging you to help me because it stays pretty much unused at the moment, and that is not why I bought it.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th June 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefdeef View Post
Hey guys,

is there a limiter in zed-10?
& what happens if my laptop dies during performance -
will the mixer also shut down? because I would still have a drum computer left
to help me through the laptop break.

thanks
No - mixer does not need laptop to function....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 2
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesii View Post
Also USB-port doesn't give signal anymore (does recognize).
I just cannot understand why it suddenly not working.
This toy is going to warranty service.
This is more than likely an issue with your computer. Try a different USB port, or uninstall the drivers, reboot, reinstall in new port.
Old 19th June 2012
This would have been a perfect mixer if they had balanced monitor/record outs... Otherwise how does one use the record functionality to go into a balanced soundcard in?
Old 5th August 2012
Gear Addict

Is there anyway with this ZED10FX desk that you can do loopback style recording (either with a physical cable) from One connected computer?

So output from you mac with a VST, and able to EQ and compress (a hardware compressor on the inserts) and then record it back into the same computer AFTER its been through the desk, compress and EQ?

Is there a simple way to do this, or do you have to use a Y cable, from the headphone out, into channels 1&2 and then have the desk re-record this as its the main USB soundcard/interface?
Old 18th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusutomari View Post
Hi folks:

Let me say something about the ZED10FX USB Driver. I have found most of guys have been pissed up by official USB driver excluded. Well, I used to have a Behringer X1204 USB mixing board with a full-driver disc. As a most stupid trying, I installed it, then the system has recognized it as a Behringer USB Audio Interface, lol, which does really works so much better than the win7 junky driver. Thus, you guys who want to live better with the USB recording feature, download that Behringer Driver from its official website.

It is really funny, isn't it?

Also what I wanna metion is the three-band-EQ is unbelievably amazing. But I have not try the preamp individually. I guess it is a really crazy nice gear for Live. I am gonna bring it to my performance in this weekend.

Also, I am waiting for the god-dammmmn-it shipping from USPS, which is about my Focusrite Liquid Channel. It has been 12 work days. How can it be that freaaking slow! lol!

Enjoy with your A&Hs <--- looks like a fast food brand... lol ....
dude you saved my ass with this one!!!!!! i was stressing!! who would know to use the behringer ASIO!!! Thank you so much man!! So stoked on this mixer now, and i wasnt sure before!!
Old 29th May 2013
Gear interested

More about the USB input...?

SO last night was the first time I used my Zed10FX. It was a karaoke gig in a "smallish" room. My problem was adjusting the music from my laptop with the ST2 channel. I can't shut it down completely? It seems ST2 makes VERY slight adjustments to the sound, and I still need to control the sound from my Macbook Pro.

Also, The headphone output isn't exactly what's coming out of the speakers. The vocals are WAY louder. I typically use the headphones to adjust my mix as I am normally seated in a poor position to hear well. I could never get the output of the USB to match the vocal level...?

Can anyone comment on either of these? Thank you!
Old 12th June 2013
Gear interested

zed 10 protools

Hey Guys I was reading the Comments about zed 10 not registering in GarageBand and I'm having the same problem in protools 10. I have read the user guide and I have experimented with different variations of buttons. Even went into protools and changed teh I/O and the playback engines. but I'm not getting anything in protools and it wont let me put the track into record because it says there are no active inputs. this is my set up. Bass>into 3rd track(for DI)>computer. I hear my bass through the monitors but its not getting into protools to record. I have been stumped all day. I need help haha
Old 19th July 2013
Gear interested

Ableton Live vs zed

Hi there, thanks for all the answers. My zed usb worked fine while I was working with logic. As soon as I started doing stuff on ableton live, I got impossible latency and couldn't figure out a way of getting rid of it...
That thing with the behringer vst, would that work on a mac? I'll try it next week.
More, one year passed and now the mixer is getting really noisy...
Another thing: Is there any way of sending separate outs from Live to zed so I can send a click track or something like it?
Old 25th September 2014
Gear Head
It seems to me that when sending to the record bus the signal is NOT muted on the main mix, is this true? If so, this seems like a huge problem for homerecording usage. In a typical home studio there is no extra recording room, so you need one mix (main or monitor) to NOT carry any of the channels that have open mics on it (otherwise you will get feedback), and only have the playback on this mix, while AT THE SAME TIME have the open mics hearable on the phone mix.

How would you realise this on the ZED10FX without constantly turning down the main outputs to prevent feedback?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 27th September 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
It seems to me that when sending to the record bus the signal is NOT muted on the main mix, is this true? If so, this seems like a huge problem for homerecording usage. In a typical home studio there is no extra recording room, so you need one mix (main or monitor) to NOT carry any of the channels that have open mics on it (otherwise you will get feedback), and only have the playback on this mix, while AT THE SAME TIME have the open mics hearable on the phone mix.

How would you realise this on the ZED10FX without constantly turning down the main outputs to prevent feedback?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Anyone?
Old 27th September 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Anyone?
Mmh. The manual indeed says that the main out signal is unaffected by the record switch... In that case I am afraid I do not understand how the mixers is used in a homerecording situation. Could someone enlighten me?
Old 29th September 2014
Gear Head
I also just realised that the monitoring switches (Record, Aux, Playback) are exclusive!!! Really? I cannot monitor a combination of those? So there is just absolutely no way to monitor playback and record together? Uhm...how do people actually record with this, if there is no way to monitor in the most simple recording situation (i.e. a singer having headphones to hear himself over the playback he records)? I don't get how this mixer is supposed to be used for recording at all... I would be really grateful if anyone could explain this to me.
Old 1st October 2014
Gear Head
So I guess it's pretty safe to assume that I won't be getting any answers in here, right?
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
So I guess it's pretty safe to assume that I won't be getting any answers in here, right?
Unfortunately there isn't anyone experienced enough, who has an A&H ZED 10fx around to answer your questions. Sometimes you luck out. I'm reading the thread for an answer which I don't have myself.

Anthony
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Unfortunately there isn't anyone experienced enough, who has an A&H ZED 10fx around to answer your questions. Sometimes you luck out. I'm reading the thread for an answer which I don't have myself.

Anthony
Mmh, a pitty. But thanks for your reply.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also just realised that the monitoring switches (Record, Aux, Playback) are exclusive!!! Really? I cannot monitor a combination of those? So there is just absolutely no way to monitor playback and record together?
Bumping this because I was searching to find an answer to this same question.

Does anyone have one of these mixers, or a model with the same monitor section?(Zed60 series appears to have the same monitoring block). If you select a source in the Headphones section does it remove the Main Mix from the headphones? I assumed it would just add it to the signal, so I could monitor Main Mix and Record busses at the same time. This would make sense to me. Even if the Record and Playback switches override one another, I can deal with that. But if it removes the Main Mix then that's a deal breaker for me. I would need to monitor Main Mix and Record busses at the same time.

I'm used to Mackie mixers, and their monitor selection switches let you add things together (like the Alt3/4 bus, etc.)

Last edited by soundxplorer; 10th December 2015 at 03:38 PM..
Old 21st December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Quote:
I also just realised that the monitoring switches (Record, Aux, Playback) are exclusive!!! Really? I cannot monitor a combination of those? So there is just absolutely no way to monitor playback and record together?
Bumping this because I was searching to find an answer to this same question.

Does anyone have one of these mixers, or a model with the same monitor section?(Zed60 series appears to have the same monitoring block). If you select a source in the Headphones section does it remove the Main Mix from the headphones? I assumed it would just add it to the signal, so I could monitor Main Mix and Record busses at the same time. This would make sense to me. Even if the Record and Playback switches override one another, I can deal with that. But if it removes the Main Mix then that's a deal breaker for me. I would need to monitor Main Mix and Record busses at the same time.

I'm used to Mackie mixers, and their monitor selection switches let you add things together (like the Alt3/4 bus, etc.)
Did you ever get this figured out?
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encapsulation View Post
Did you ever get this figured out?
I did, only after buying a Zed60-14fx and trying it out myself. The monitor selections are indeed exclusive, you can't press two at the same time and mix the sources.

That was a minor issue, but I wound up returning it after a few days because of a bigger problem. The Record Out bus is on unbalanced RCA jacks and I was getting a lot of noise in that signal (most likely from external sources, not a problem internally). I really wanted to be able to press that Record button on a track and route the signal to my audio interface, but that bus turned out to be unusable in my home studio. I went back to Mackie so I can use the Alt 3/4 bus like that, which is on balanced connections.
Old 17th April 2017
Here for the gear

Can anyone tell me if the stereo inputs are balanced or unbalanced?

Also if the Hi Z inputs are balanced or unbalanced? The manual and block diagram are confusing. In fact for the Hi Z inputs, the manual states they are unbalanced then proceeds to give the wiring scheme for a balanced connection.

In my case, I have a ZED Sixty-10FX.
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

I see the last post from April has still not been answered but I will try anyway and put my question here.
When I record using the Aux out, when recording, the mixer's left and right meters show strong but on playing back the meter and the sound is the left channel only. This is on any channel I use. Recording with the Record bus works just fine but using the Aux is left channel only. Does anyone know why this is?
Old 15th July 2017
Gear Addict
Aux buses are mono. The recording bus is designed for stereo. Just use the Recording bus.
Old 15th July 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks. Good to know.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search