The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone else make their own 808's? DAW Software
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

Does anyone else make their own 808's?

Just interested, I've been making my own ever since day one. Been using the same method. I wanna see what your methods are?
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

Excuse my ignorance. Do you mean the actual machines, or just synthesizing the sound?
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Nut

haha yeah i was about to say, ya think i could get a deal on one of those home made 808's.
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Addict

my bad, I guessed most people don't make their own. It's a little trick I guess I figured out. It's kinda cool, I'm sure you can do it on any recording software with the right plug in but im going to explain with pro tools. It's all in the signal generator. First just record anything, blank air, it doesnt matter, for probably 2 bars or however long you want in the spot you want an 808. Then go to audio suit and put on the signal generator for the recorded spot. This way you can pick the exact freq you want the 808.(Usually 808 is a sine wave. But you can experiment). I usually go with around 50 hz. Click process, now you got a very low 50hz hum. Highlight it, then go to audio suit again, and go to the Vari Fi plugin. It's default setting will be exactly what you want. Just click process and you got yourself an 808.
Old 12th June 2010
Gear Addict

OK, I'm going to way out on a limb here, wouldn't it be easier to just go get a sample of the 808 sound you want?
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnStudios View Post
OK, I'm going to way out on a limb here, wouldn't it be easier to just go get a sample of the 808 sound you want?
Not really actually, sometimes yes, but usually the bands I record are really anal about their 808's. I may get a sample and usually they dont like it. I make my own exactly how they want it, length and freq, and everybody is happy. It's really really easy to do and doesnt take much time at all. It may be faster making it then finding one the band will be happy with. Sometimes not though, some bands just don't care.
Old 13th June 2010
Gear Maniac

Signal Generator @ 50hz, gate the beast w/side chain, set attack/release to taste. Do some parallel comping, eq-ing, add in other things, etc.

That's about it for me.
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

I have an 808 in a closet. I haven't used it in years.

Are they worth a lot?
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear

the XOXBOX looks and sounds GREAT!
I dunno what clones you guys are slagging on...
Old 14th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asplashofcitrus View Post
Signal Generator @ 50hz, gate the beast w/side chain, set attack/release to taste. Do some parallel comping, eq-ing, add in other things, etc.
You can EQ a sine wave all you want and it will not do ****.
Old 14th June 2010
Gear Addict

I made my own 808 clone with switchable diode clipping and fat switch.

You do mean TS808, right?heh
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search