The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SRV-2000 & DEP-3/5
Old 25th May 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Roland SRV-2000 & DEP-3/5

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions regarding the two/three Roland rack verbs. Now I know that the DEP-3 is the stripped version of the DEP-5 which only has the verb and the EQ (no chorus and delay). Now my main quesiton is what the difference between the SRV-2000 and the DEP reverbs is. I've looked through the manuals for both and they seem nearly identical in the reverb capabilities. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old 26th May 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone?
Old 13th February 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bump:

My question:
Is the DEP-5 more of a reverb unit, or a delay?

I kinda want another delay with nice long echo effects. Just wondering if the DEP-5 can do nice echo type delays?

Right now, I have a MidiVerb II and an SDE-1000 (1 verb and 1 delay).. and I would like to get 1 more reverb and 1 more delay... and someone locally has an SRV-2000 and also a DEP-5 for sale and I told him I will buy both units from him. Will I be satisfied buying both of these units to satisfy my needs/wants on getting another reverb and another delay unit? ...or will I be disappointed as the DEP-5 might not satisfy me on having it as an extra Delay unit??
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The SRV 2000 has more control that the DEP3/5 units, and has the ability to deliver some very dense reverbs useful for emulating an AMS reverb on drums.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Bump:

My question:
Is the DEP-5 more of a reverb unit, or a delay?

I kinda want another delay with nice long echo effects. Just wondering if the DEP-5 can do nice echo type delays?

Right now, I have a MidiVerb II and an SDE-1000 (1 verb and 1 delay).. and I would like to get 1 more reverb and 1 more delay... and someone locally has an SRV-2000 and also a DEP-5 for sale and I told him I will buy both units from him. Will I be satisfied buying both of these units to satisfy my needs/wants on getting another reverb and another delay unit? ...or will I be disappointed as the DEP-5 might not satisfy me on having it as an extra Delay unit??
The DEP5 is a multi effects unit..
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Arrow

As Audioboffin said, the SRV 2000 is a lot more specialized in delivering just reverb, and has some very good ones in there, too (not talking about Bricasti or IR quality space simulations, although it does have some good natural spaces tending to sound a bit bright, but "character" reverbs, the ones U can hear as an effect, not just a space - it's an oldish unit, after all) - although not in the league of the older but truly smooth (and underrated) R880 reverb unit, it's definitely a better box - I think of it as a rather upgraded Roland reverb engine compared to the DEP, that is more akin to the older SDR reverb units, or perhaps with just a lot more processing power for reverb only under the hood and more modern, well developed reverb code - if my memory serves me well, don't own one currently.

The DEP 5, which I do own, is truly a multi effects box - it has a whacky way of telling U what it's doing, with switchable preset algorithms, a little display full of flashing little icons, analogue style knobs/encoders whose changes get nervously and flickeringly shown on the numeric display too - and more importantly a just as whacky way of sounding!
I wouldn't choose it as an ideal delay unit, but for modulation fx like deep flanging and metallic choruses verging on ring modulation, and especially for modulated gated reverbs and really off the wall warped, treated reverb sounds, it is a box that will bring much joy.
Beware of the hiss, though - NOT the quietest unit on the planet, and I don't mean the electronics itself, but the more U do with those knobs and the more U modulate, the more it hisses.

Still - haven't ever thought of selling it, and it still gets used in mixes on an almost regular basis, so...

Kind regards,

A
F
Old 10th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got a DEP-5; I kinda like its over-the-top-80's-ness.

what would trading/selling it for an SRV-2000 give me?
(my main verbs are a TC Reverb 4000 and a PCM70 V2.0)
Old 20th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon View Post

bump, anyone?

(I also got an SRV-330 in the meantime... my gearsluttism has no boundaries... )
Old 23rd June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

The SRV 2000 will get U an 80s reverb trying to be a "classy" reverb like your TC 4000 is (and obviously not succeeding, due to technology/conversion/budgte/design limitations - it's no AMS RMX), and being a lot less ballsy than your Lex PCM70 is.
Compared to the rogue wildly dressed & fluorescent hair DEP 5, it is a cultivated sharp dressed but not really classy law student.

I'd keep the DEP5 - besides, U already have a SRV330 now, outdoing & bettering the SRV 2000 at its' own game.

A
F
Old 8th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaeffe View Post

The SRV 2000 will get U an 80s reverb trying to be a "classy" reverb like your TC 4000 is (and obviously not succeeding, due to technology/conversion/budgte/design limitations - it's no AMS RMX), and being a lot less ballsy than your Lex PCM70 is.
Compared to the rogue wildly dressed & fluorescent hair DEP 5, it is a cultivated sharp dressed but not really classy law student.

I'd keep the DEP5 - besides, U already have a SRV330 now, outdoing & bettering the SRV 2000 at its' own game.

A
F
Thanks!

Guess the only current contender of being sold in the future, is my Sony DPS-V55M...

...then again, I like a lot of the multi-fx patches. I consider it at least an equal to the TC M2000 or Lex MPX-1 (which were a lot more expensive used at the time I got my Sony).
Old 8th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks!

Guess the only current contender of being sold in the future, is my Sony DPS-V55M...

...then again, I like a lot of the multi-fx patches. I consider it at least an equal to the TC M2000 or Lex MPX-1 (which were a lot more expensive used at the time I got my Sony).

Ha haaaa!
U won't believe this, but I happen to have the Sony DPS V-55 (and a very excellent R7), too!

Personally, I wouldn't sell that one either.

I agree with U on its' multi fx patches (especially some of the whacky ones, with the flanged/comb filtered/resonating delays etc) being quite unique and nice. I think the TC 2000 had a bit cleaner and more "realistic" basic reverbs, especially the larger halls & plates, but I do find some of the rooms on the V55 hold up pretty well, and if U use all 4 engines for a single reverb in that "best quality mode" there are some really deep and smooth ones - after all, many were designed/programmed by people who knew a thing or two, a host of guest engineers that Sony got to do this, like Joe Ciccarelli, the late Roger Nichols, etc.
The Lexicon MPX1 always was a weird one to me, came across more as a guitar rack unit, had an extremely unfriendly editing process and interface, higher self noise & hiss than one would want, and not many good sounding patches in it except some of the more omnipresent Lexicon halls & chambers - and it was definitely overpriced.
Old 9th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ha haaaa!
U won't believe this, but I happen to have the Sony DPS V-55 (and a very excellent R7), too!

Personally, I wouldn't sell that one either.

I agree with U on its' multi fx patches (especially some of the whacky ones, with the flanged/comb filtered/resonating delays etc) being quite unique and nice. I think the TC 2000 had a bit cleaner and more "realistic" basic reverbs, especially the larger halls & plates, but I do find some of the rooms on the V55 hold up pretty well, and if U use all 4 engines for a single reverb in that "best quality mode" there are some really deep and smooth ones - after all, many were designed/programmed by people who knew a thing or two, a host of guest engineers that Sony got to do this, like Joe Ciccarelli, the late Roger Nichols, etc.
How funny is that! Yeah, I'm totally with you. The first 9 patches (the 'surround' ones) have some extremely nice reverbs.

If you see my list of outboard fx/reverb, would you sell anything at all or add something (maybe an Eventide Eclipse, H3000 D/SE or something from Yamaha?):
-TC Reverb 4000
-Lexicon PCM70 (v2.0)
-Lexicon LXP-1
-Boss SE-70
-Roland DEP-5
-Roland SRV-330
-Sony DPS-V55M

previously owned:
-TC Electronic M-One XL
-TC Electronic D-Two
-Lexicon PCM90 (+dual algo card) (sold it to fund the Reverb 4000)
-Boss SE-50 (sold it after I got the SE-70)
Old 9th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
How funny is that! Yeah, I'm totally with you. The first 9 patches (the 'surround' ones) have some extremely nice reverbs.

If you see my list of outboard fx/reverb, would you sell anything at all or add something (maybe an Eventide Eclipse, H3000 D/SE or something from Yamaha?):
-TC Reverb 4000
-Lexicon PCM70 (v2.0)
-Lexicon LXP-1
-Boss SE-70
-Roland DEP-5
-Roland SRV-330
-Sony DPS-V55M

previously owned:
-TC Electronic M-One XL
-TC Electronic D-Two
-Lexicon PCM90 (+dual algo card) (sold it to fund the Reverb 4000)
-Boss SE-50 (sold it after I got the SE-70)

Nice little 80s to 90s collection, eh?

Well personally & subjectively I am not a fan of the LXP Lexicons - fairly good plate, if Iremember correctly, but not much of the rest, and all somewhat "washy", blurred, with a not really great noise/hum/hiss floor.
That's the only one I'd lose, of that list.

As for adding, in keeping with the vibe & feel of your collection:
I mentioned the Sony R7 - the Gold Foil Plate for lead vocal duties and some of the drum rooms on that stand up to the very best & most expensive world class units ever (and it's not just my opinion). Absolutely world class. Be prepared for the weirdest user interface & massive amount of parameters, which U'll need to get familiar with to do some basic parameter tailoring and some overall high freq taming - all presets too bright).
I am always delighted by some of the programs in my Eventide H3000 SE (not really a fan of the "D" or further options, nor do I find them indispensible), it's often the right thing for guitar spaces when mixing, weird backing vocals, standout snare spaces, etc - plus, of course the quite essential Dual Micro Pitch Shift for which Eventide is famous, and many modulation/transpose patches that can come handy when tracking weird sounds (be prepared for extensive tweaking, some of the factory presets are really overblown and heavy handed).
Nobody does snare "twac***k" like a good old Yamaha SPX (I'd look for the 90 II, or even better the 900 / 990 - the 1000 was not such a big deal), always cheapo sounding on big spaces, but curiously always finds a great place in a mix with its' small spaces, plus the famous Symphonic patch, and some nice Early Reflection pacthes U can tweak to micro-small and use on kick or low end heavy metal guitars or bass guitar (listen in carefully, as U bump the "size" units down, the note/frequency being enhanced changes...great trick!).
Higher upmarket, one of the things I'm most glad I got is the AMS RMX16. Wow...just pure wow. Fat, luscious vocal ambience (it's one of the not very many things U can put on a send while tracking and EVERY time the singer will ask "Oh...what did U do now? This is nice!" - or, if U want to hurt yourself, put on a plugin reverb first, then switch to this one and take note of the aforementioned singer's reaction, and of your own ear-to-ear smile), plus the legendary Non Linear gated reverb for explosive drums (think Def Leppard drums, Phil Collins, even Prince's Kiss). Again, that's world class stuff.
For a similar, just less "mojo" vibe, the Klark Teknik reverb (740, I think? haven't got that one, used to work a lot in a studio that had) is very, very nice. Just be very careful because they had a known defect on one of the circuit boards, U'd occasionally get this random pop sound in your reverb, like a capacitor discharging - and I remember the factory knew about it and how to solve it, but it was massively expensive to do, required a whole board being changed or something.

That's it.

In my opinion & experience, of course.

Regards,

A
F
Old 10th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, child of the 80's here. Then again, I figure if I need something not-dated and realistic sounding, I use the Reverb 4000.

Btw, would you consider getting rid of either one of the Rolands or the V55M, if I were to add an SPX900/990? The AMS is kinda out of budget now...
Old 10th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, child of the 80's here. Then again, I figure if I need something not-dated and realistic sounding, I use the Reverb 4000.

Btw, would you consider getting rid of either one of the Rolands or the V55M, if I were to add an SPX900/990? The AMS is kinda out of budget now...

Exactly - the 4000 is one engine of the mega 6000, so it does top-shelf non-dated pretty damn well.
(I use the 6000 and the 5000 in two studios I work in a lot, so the 4000... have that one too, eh eh... got a really incredible deal on it, absolute bargain price )

If it was my rack, I'd perhaps get rid of the Boss.
Never was a fan of those.
Both the Roland and the Sony do their own, very different, thing pretty well, I'd keep them.

Ah, the mighty AMS & it's prices - I know, I know...
Old 11th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

(I use the 6000 and the 5000 in two studios I work in a lot, so the 4000... have that one too, eh eh... got a really incredible deal on it, absolute bargain price )
Under 1000 euro's?

Quote:
If it was my rack, I'd perhaps get rid of the Boss.
Never was a fan of those.
Hmm, you may be on to something. It does get the least use, but it does have a few excellent drum-plate verbs and leslie-sims with overdrive.
Old 12th July 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Under 1000 euro's?

Make that under 800 eur...
(boxed, as new, mint, just 1 edited/user stored preset on it)
heh

Quote:
Hmm, you may be on to something. It does get the least use, but it does have a few excellent drum-plate verbs and leslie-sims with overdrive.

Yes, might be - I didnt' have any Boss units around much, remember trying them and not exactly falling over (or falling in love). I 've read some folks have commented about the drum plates, indeed.
Old 13th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Another major difference between DEP5 and SRV2000:

The DEP5 hast STEREO inputs, while the srv2000 and dep3 only have mono ins.
πŸ“ Reply