The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cables, noises, connectors and mixture
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Cables, noises, connectors and mixture

Hi Gearslutz,

following my previous post about mixing desk old I end up buying a vintage Studiomaster 16:4:2 for a real bagain especially because the previous owner was some ex BBC electronic engineer and modified the deskmaking it very silent.

Now next step I need to cable everything up.
I'm honking about making cables myself as I need quite long cable to arrive from pres to drums.

I think about buying a drum of cable for 100metres for 31£ in studiospares.
1- do you know any better deal for standard balanced cables?

The desk has inserts and i'd like to connect some Dbx and other outboard.
Question is that the insert are in a single trs for send return and when I go to connect to the compressor I get some hum as well as radio (but this only at extreme settings).
Is therefore for me impossible (ok I should use 2 Di boxes each insert... No way) to go balanced what's the best option to keep noise level down? Also both Dbx and desk are from same plug why hum?

3- connectors! I'm going to' need lot of connectors about 26 xlr (m/f) and 26 trs/ts
which is the best option for this deal?

4 the desk is very old (1980s) and althought working perfectly some knobs and fader are hard to move. After a while you use them though the ease down but still: can I use some wd40 on them? I heard (and used) about a spray for desk contacts, what's the name? Where can I find it?

Also any suggestion for assembly everything? Some trick to keep noise level down? I'm trying to have AC cables far from audio but it's not always possible.

I know this is personal but should I keep the desk (78cmx65cm) on the desk and having he digi002 on side or viceversa?

Thanks!!!
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post

The desk has inserts and i'd like to connect some Dbx and other outboard.
Question is that the insert are in a single trs for send return and when I go to connect to the compressor I get some hum as well as radio (but this only at extreme settings).
Is therefore for me impossible (ok I should use 2 Di boxes each insert... No way) to go balanced what's the best option to keep noise level down? Also both Dbx and desk are from same plug why hum?
Thanks!!!
Insert points are a two-way-traffic situation. What you need is an insert cable. It will have a TRS connector on one end, and two TS connectors on the other. The two TS connectors will be labeled "tip" and "ring". Tip is your send and ring is your return. Plug "tip" into the input of your gear and "ring" into the output.

That should help you in that regard.

As for the rest of your questions, it sounds like you're in just a bit over your head. Don't worry, it will start making sense eventually. Just think of it like plumbing. The signal has to go somewhere. Follow your cables and you'll see where it's ending up. If the cable trail ends before making it's way back to the mixer, then that's why it's not showing up there.

Good luck,
-Michael
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Maniac

Actually, let me try to hit the other ones before this thread gets hijacked by someone who knows nothing of what they speak.

1) Try XLR cables in lengths no longer than 20-25 feet. You can always connect them to make a 40-50 foot cable, but having way more than you need will just end up in a cluttered tangled mess.

2) See above post

3) TRS and XLR - neither is better than the other. If you have all TRS jacks, then you most likely want TRS cables. Likewise with XLR. Aside from shape and appearance, they're functionally the same thing.

4) Do NOT spray oil on your desk. It sounds like you're thinking of DeoxIT and you can find it at any electronics store. Spray a little in your noisy jacks as well, as the dirt buildup can create noise.

Hope this helps.
-Michael
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Ok thank you for your kind answer but looks like I've been misunderstood:

1 I need to make cables about 10metres, so I think of
either buying a multicore
or a drum of 100 metres so to have roughly 10 xlrs.
1 question do you know where I can get cheap balanced cable by drum roll?

2 I know technically no difference between xlr and trs (shape apart they are both balanced). Question is that an inser cable is pratically unbalanced, as the trs is a two way unbalanced signal. So true that more expensive mixing boards have send and return in two different trs so to have both balanced.
Now question is: how can I have thoseinsert cables (trs to 2ts) without having interferences? This because when I plug an insert I start to have humming... How can I get rid of this?

3 where to get cheap xlr and trs connectors?

4 thank you for the name of the spray!

Any advice on this subject?

It's first time I go so deep into building my own studio and I love it!
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Ok no one interested :((

For me I sprayed out some WD40 and now faders are smooth as well as pots.

I found out that the cable insert was passing near a electric cable so once moved didn't make so lot of noise.

No one here buys cable x lenght and make their own cables?
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ouch... WD40 will leave a grimy residue in the long run.. The pots and faders might seem smooth temporarily, but over time the WD40 will gum up and also act as a dust trap..

It would probably be best advised to clean it again soon with Deoxit fader lube..
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok no one interested :((

I found out that the cable insert was passing near a electric cable so once moved didn't make so lot of noise.

No one here buys cable x lenght and make their own cables?
I don't if they'd sell you a spool, but this might be a good place to start for cable sutff:

Redco Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search