The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Home made isolation please!!!! Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th November 2005
Gear interested

Lightbulb Home made isolation please!!!!

I want to start recording in my small apartment, but the rooms sound like poop!!! Lots of bare walls and wierd modes (I'm a student so furniture is a luxury.) Aside from foam, what are some home made solutions. I usually pull my bed comforter in to service, and throw some pillows around the room.

I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas.

Owen
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen_vallis
I want to start recording in my small apartment, but the rooms sound like poop!!! Lots of bare walls and wierd modes (I'm a student so furniture is a luxury.) Aside from foam, what are some home made solutions. I usually pull my bed comforter in to service, and throw some pillows around the room.

I'd love to hear everyone else's ideas.

Owen
I bought a load of 4" semi-rigid fiberglass, then I made a load of wooden frames with 4" x 1" rough wood to fit the panels.

Then I got some nice material and stretched/stapled it to the wood to hold the fiberglass in.

Make sure the material isn't too thick or thin, you should be able to breathe easily through it whith it stretched over your mouth, but not able to make out the fiberglass underneath.

Works great, you don't need to cover that much unless you want a very dead sounding room.

Treat any 90degree angles in the room and the reflections points between your monitors/mics and your ears/source etc. But leave enough to use as gobos around drumkits etc.

Good luck !

Nathan
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

p.s This has been covered alot, you may want to do a search on:

Acoustic treatment
Rigid Fiberglass
Bass Traps
703 Suppliers

Etc.
Old 9th November 2005
bap
Gear nut

Rigid fiberglass can be difficult to find.

Here is a link to distributors that Ethan Winer posted around audio boards [given to him by someone else].

http://www.spi-co.com/servicecenterdirectory.mv

There's one near me but they don't carry 703, only equivalent material. It works great and is quite affordable.
Old 9th November 2005
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Owen,

> what are some home made solutions. <

You already got the right answer: Rigid fiberglass. For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ:

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

--Ethan
Old 9th November 2005

What have you guys got against cheap? Use old matresses and used couches.....

Of course, none of this will give you "isolation", but I don't think that is what Owen is after....

-tINY

Old 10th November 2005
Gear addict

Being a student myself, recording in a basement apartment with concrete walls, that is smaller than a japanese hotel, I feel your pain. Here is what I do, fare warning, it is ghetto. When I mic with a dynamic, sm57, I really don't worry about the room. It usually doesn't pick up to much ambience when pointed at the source. When I record with a large condenser (vocals), I align myself in the room so I am pointed at the doorway. I'm fairly close to the doorway to, but not too close. This projects my voice out of the room (for the most part) and reflects around in the adjacent room. Usually works well enough, unless i'm belting something out, and I get crazy ambience from the room I'm projecting too. Old couches work well too. I've got blankets hanging from the walls myself.
Mike
Old 10th November 2005
Gear Head

Old 10th November 2005
Gear interested

i've got to second tINY on this one.
if money is an issue, blankets and mattresses go a long way.

if money is not an issue, check out this guy:

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/acoustic_panel.htm

when you're done laughing, start hanging blankets.
Old 10th November 2005
Jai guru deva om

Back in the day we would lean mattresses against the wall, staggered to keep from choking all life from the sound in the room. Worked like a charm, just be sure you don't cover everything with stuff!

War
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

Mercy! Looks like the guy is charging a fortune for finish grade plywood with a coat of tung oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueerForGear
i've got to second tINY on this one.
if money is an issue, blankets and mattresses go a long way.

if money is not an issue, check out this guy:

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/acoustic_panel.htm

when you're done laughing, start hanging blankets.
Old 10th November 2005
mds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlandmorgan
Mercy! Looks like the guy is charging a fortune for finish grade plywood with a coat of tung oil....
Wow, that just looks like a terrible idea...in a small project studio environment that just seems like it would make a bad room horrible...
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search