The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKB makes cases for guns & military...? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 29th March 2010
  #1
Gear Head
 
whyuncertainty's Avatar
 

SKB makes cases for guns & military...?

hey. i don't know if i've been living under a rock, but i just found out from the SKB website that they also manufacture cases for military use. I don't know if i'm the last one alive with morals (and i was pretty psyched about a case i just saw at Musikmesse in Frankfurt) but i just can't bring myself to order it. I don't know why it comes as such a shock to me... but it got me wondering... are there any particularly ecological friendly or moral musical instrument/equipment companies at all? I feel like its something i've never seen or noticed if i have seen it.... It kind of seems inherent that musical products, especially of the electronic variety would automatically be manufactured in some third world asian country making tons of pollution and what not... even american made guitars, etc require products manufactured in asia... the list goes on, but i was just wondering if someone knew of a musical instrument company with a clean conscience. thanks!

jen
Old 29th March 2010
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

I'm not sure why you're so surprised. It's listed right on the front page of their website.

If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you think that the company is without morals because they make weapons cases? Or perhaps because they support the gov't, military with their cases?

Welcome to capitolism I guess. They're free to make whatever they want, and you're free not to buy from them.
Old 29th March 2010
  #3
Gear Head
 
whyuncertainty's Avatar
 

yeah thats true. but it doesn't really answer my question... thanks for your response though.
Old 29th March 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
Well...Gibson has a line of guitars that are more ecologically friendly. DW Drums as well. I'm not sure about other major players.

As far as electronics....There's just no way to make some of this stuff without some environmental nasties. There are companies that strive to have environmentally friendly production. I'd say most really. It's a natural evolution. Just do your research and see what's out there. When in doubt ask the company.

Personally I'm not so tweaked about the environment as I am the jobs and manufacturing location.
Old 29th March 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Hello, I wonder if anyone can actually answer the question, as no two people will exhibit the exact same morals. For example, for me personally it would be unethical for a company like SKB to do business in the US, and choose not to manufacture cases needed to protect the gear that is vital to the safety and mission of our service men and women, based on some corporate "morals".
Old 29th March 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Making gun CASES is somehow immoral? Sorry, you lost me there.

Make your own. They'll be heavier - but you won't have all that moral baggage to carry, so it'll even out.
Old 29th March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Reality check !!!!!! to exist at all is to exploit - its simply a matter of degree

Taylor Guitars is a very progressive in terms of green
Old 29th March 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jproc's Avatar
I'm a pretty anti-war, anti-violence type of person,
but I am also an avid target shooter...
Guns aren't evil, they are inanimate objects, only the purposes to which men put them can be evil...

SKB happens to make some of the absolute best gun cases... and I trust those cases (when locked properly) to help prevent anyone from ever having an accident with one of my rifles...

Also, do you have a problem with Gibson because they manufactured parts for the military during WWII ?
Old 29th March 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Cookie's Avatar
Guns don't kill people. . . I do. . .

LOL.

I see nothing wrong with them making cases for the military. That's their business and they're going to seek out ways to make money.

If the US Military wanted to come record in my studio, I certainly wouldn't turn them down. But then again, I'm a big supporter of our military.

I give discounts in my studio to military guys that are in bands, etc.
Old 29th March 2010
  #10
Gear Head
 
whyuncertainty's Avatar
 

don't get me wrong. i believe that everyone should have the right to own a gun, whether they decide to is up to them... and yeah target shooting can be quite fun... but the military is definitely not using their guns just for target shooting and if someone in the military wanted to use my studio, it wouldn't be a problem, unless they were recording something for the military or to advertise the military. thats where i personally draw the line. but something about taking money regardless of where it comes from (especially coming from essentially the business of killing others) is where i'd draw the line. no, i won't just take anyone's money...thats how we ended up on the brink of Armageddon here with the climate and all that... it just seems like musicians were somehow always the first to break boundaries and tell sh*t like it is... like musicians were the first to break the walls of segregation, playing together regardless of color... and pushing the buttons of people regarding censorship and what not. going against the church by composing a piece with the unholy of unholies (the tritone), etc. i have a feeling that there are music companies out there who feel the same way i do, i'm simply looking to see if anyone knows which companies they are.
Old 29th March 2010
  #11
Gear Head
 
elementse7en!'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyuncertainty View Post
hey. i don't know if i've been living under a rock, but i just found out from the SKB website that they also manufacture cases for military use. I don't know if i'm the last one alive with morals (and i was pretty psyched about a case i just saw at Musikmesse in Frankfurt) but i just can't bring myself to order it. I don't know why it comes as such a shock to me... but it got me wondering... are there any particularly ecological friendly or moral musical instrument/equipment companies at all? I feel like its something i've never seen or noticed if i have seen it.... It kind of seems inherent that musical products, especially of the electronic variety would automatically be manufactured in some third world asian country making tons of pollution and what not... even american made guitars, etc require products manufactured in asia... the list goes on, but i was just wondering if someone knew of a musical instrument company with a clean conscience. thanks!

jen
I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you concerned about SKB making cases for the military? or are you concerned about eco-friendly music companies?
and how the heck are you tying in both things?

If your concerned about eco-friendly companies check out Laguna Guitars, everytime you buy one of their guitars they plant a tree, and the guitars themselves are pretty good. I still prefer getting that Ibanez I had my eye on but one of their models was real nice when I tried it out. Adding to that their packaging is made from recyclable materials, and they do a bunch of other good green deeds. Check em out Laguna Guitars
I suggest you look around as I'm sure you'll find other companies with a similar mindset.
Old 29th March 2010
  #12
Gear Head
 
whyuncertainty's Avatar
 

awesome! thats exactly what i was looking for. have you ever played one of these things? are they alright?
Old 29th March 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
I have an SKB gun case. It keeps my rifle locked up. Is that somehow a problem?
Old 29th March 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
twentyhertz's Avatar
 

I'm pretty surprised that this thread didn't immediately degenerate into name calling. It's nice to see grown ups on internet forums. GJ slutz.
Old 30th March 2010
  #15
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

pretty much every maker of plastic or hard cases does gun cases too.... as well, the bag manufacturers make gun cases too....

speaking of which- most cardboard manufacturers sell boxes to gun companies as well....

If you dont want to support them then you will likely need to manufacturer your own gear...
Old 30th March 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
GZsound's Avatar
When I was in the service, I saw soldiers with Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Peavey, etc. equipment. Many different brands of musical equipment were being used by members of the military to make music.

I was in the Navy band and they had insturments made by a huge number of manufacturers. I played in a night club in Guam and again, military guys with a whole bunch of different musical equipment.

Why would supplying equipment or gear to the military mean a company somehow doesn't have morals?

Last year I helped put on a fund raiser to send acoustic guitars to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Does that make me immoral because I support sending equipment and gear (gosh those guitars were in CASES) to our troops?

Gee whiz... I can see supporting companies that are more environmentally friendly, but because they supply something to our troops they are immoral?

Unbelievable.
Old 30th March 2010
  #17
Gear Guru
 
charles maynes's Avatar
 

Mark- Thank you for your service.... there seem to be fewer and fewer around who understand the bigger picture.
Old 30th March 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
MrCrowbar's Avatar
 

Well, hurling around expensive audio gear or instruments is similar to a war zone sometimes, so it makes sense for a case manufacturer to cater to both markets with pretty much the same products. The SM57 was designed specifically for the military, so is all the tube gear, computers, pretty much everything technological. It's sad, but that's how it usually goes. Even the company that makes these cute little Roomba vacuum cleaning robots makes high end military robots too. A great number of medicine was discovered and tested in very immoral ways, the list goes on and on...

Anyway, military gear is as tough as it gets so it's just what you want if you need reliability. The switches on Marshall Amps footswitches are the same as many older land mines which are still fully functional after decades buried underground... I see it as military technology (land mines) put to good use (to switch your guitar amp).
Old 30th March 2010
  #19
Gear Addict
 
GotGear?'s Avatar
SKB keeps my Austrian StG.58 safe and sound on the way to the range to kill paper.

Likewise for my guitars on the way to anywhere else.
Old 30th March 2010
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyuncertainty View Post
don't get me wrong. i believe that everyone should have the right to own a gun, whether they decide to is up to them... and yeah target shooting can be quite fun... but the military is definitely not using their guns just for target shooting and if someone in the military wanted to use my studio, it wouldn't be a problem, unless they were recording something for the military or to advertise the military. thats where i personally draw the line. but something about taking money regardless of where it comes from (especially coming from essentially the business of killing others) is where i'd draw the line. no, i won't just take anyone's money...thats how we ended up on the brink of Armageddon here with the climate and all that... it just seems like musicians were somehow always the first to break boundaries and tell sh*t like it is... like musicians were the first to break the walls of segregation, playing together regardless of color... and pushing the buttons of people regarding censorship and what not. going against the church by composing a piece with the unholy of unholies (the tritone), etc. i have a feeling that there are music companies out there who feel the same way i do, i'm simply looking to see if anyone knows which companies they are.
Wait a second...you say that "everyone should have the right to own a gun" and yet you'd have a problem with the military paying you to use your studio to create "something for the military or to advertise the military"?

That makes little sense; you're okay with arming civilians, yet you draw the line at your military? And you won't buy hard-shell cases from a particular supplier because the same company makes case for guns that are owned by civilians also makes musical gear cases...even though you state that "everyone should have the right to own a gun"?
Old 30th March 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
MrCrowbar's Avatar
 

I actually wish SKG put the same secure locks on the guitar cases as they put on gun cases. Their generic guitar car key fits ALL cases and half of the keys on your average keychain will easily open any SKB guitar case. Then again, rockstars get drunk (or F'ed by other means) a lot and would lose the keys all the time.
Old 30th March 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
I was given a pistol case that fits my favortite Sony condenser mic perfectly so I surrendered to it.

But I have not bought anything with "GE" on it since I found out they made nuclear weapon parts way back in the 70s.

We have to have our limits. I don't go to movies with guns or weapons either...

<L>
Old 30th March 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Wouldn't record for military purposes, yet you accept the freedom THEY PROVIDE you? And we are almost at armeggedon with the environment? Looks like you have fallen for a scam of some kind. there are more trees now in America than there were a hundred years ago.
Old 30th March 2010
  #24
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
Mark- Thank you for your service...
Yes indeed Mark thank you
Quote:
. there seem to be fewer and fewer around who understand the bigger picture.
Boy oh boy is this the understatement of the year. However old Albert understood the really big picture (thus the quote above my sig line)
Old 30th March 2010
  #25
The (U.S.) military is an organization made up of public servants, those individual citizens (of the U.S.) who have made the decision to give up certain rights and serve as soldiers, airman, sailors, or Marines in the service of their country. The military does not dictate when and where it wages war, that is a function of the congress. For some inexplicable reason, our recently ousted President somehow managed to allow his own personal agenda come to the forefront rather than the welfare of the country that he was supposed to be serving, and cause irreparable harm to our own economy and strained our relations with the international community. If you find issue with SKB for selling equipment to the military and therefore boycott their product, I find that incredibly naive, but morally commendable. I support the military, am anti-war, and there is nothing nonsensical about that stance. I would like to see a reduction in the size military and a reduction in defense expenditures, as they are illogically out of proportion given all the challenges that the U.S. has and more productive ways to spend its dollars. To blame the military for our problems, however, is really laying blame at the wrong doorstep. It is a citizen force, with war waging powers held by elected officials. If your elected officials voted to go to war at a time when you did not agree that it was justified, vote them out, demonstrate against the actions of your government. These are all our rights as citizens.
Old 30th March 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
The (U.S.) military is an organization made up of public servants, those individual citizens (of the U.S.) who have made the decision to give up certain rights and serve as soldiers, airman, sailors, or Marines in the service of their country. The military does not dictate when and where it wages war, that is a function of the congress. For some inexplicable reason, our recently ousted President somehow managed to allow his own personal agenda come to the forefront rather than the welfare of the country that he was supposed to be serving, and cause irreparable harm to our own economy and strained our relations with the international community. If you find issue with SKB for selling equipment to the military and therefore boycott their product, I find that incredibly naive, but morally commendable. I support the military, am anti-war, and there is nothing nonsensical about that stance. I would like to see a reduction in the size military and a reduction in defense expenditures, as they are illogically out of proportion given all the challenges that the U.S. has and more productive ways to spend its dollars. To blame the military for our problems, however, is really laying blame at the wrong doorstep. It is a citizen force, with war waging powers held by elected officials. If your elected officials voted to go to war at a time when you did not agree that it was justified, vote them out, demonstrate against the actions of your government. These are all our rights as citizens.
Absolutely = Dead center Bulls Eye = well said
Old 30th March 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 
KevWind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
there are more trees now in America than there were a hundred years ago.
Been to Wyoming or Colorado lately ???? Might change your perspective a bit.
Old 30th March 2010
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Wouldn't record for military purposes, yet you accept the freedom THEY PROVIDE you? PHP][/PHP]thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup



I don't usually get into politically based discussions on the net, but this thread prompted a question in my mind for the OP - If Budweiser (or Miller, or Coke, or Pepsi, or Procter and Gamble, or any of a thousand other responsibly managed companies) sells to the US military, will you deny purchasing their products on moral grounds?
Old 30th March 2010
  #29
Gear Head
 
whyuncertainty's Avatar
 

well, i'm glad a lot of people don't "understand' my post. its not a political discussion as much as a question about equipment companies, and i don't expect everyone to share my view, but i don't find the united states has as much freedom as the people who live there think it does. i've since left the united states because i was tired of paying $500 per month for health care, hearing about sh*t like FEMA camps, guantanamo bay and taxes to a war which is SOLELY OVER OIL. And I gotta say, a lot europeans get a way better deal, even more rights than americans get. I understand that soldiers can have good intentions, but the BIGGER PICTURE is exactly what i mean. We all see it different. Thats ok. And yeah, after we started using Coke in the guitar shop to clean hardware, i stopped drinking it. Not necessarily because of the politics but because of the common sense of how bad it is for you, never cared much for Bud either. And i think independent people, should have a right to own a gun, precisely for instances like now when the government is completely out of control, brainwashing, rigged elections, no real voice, but wanting the people to feel like they do, corporations getting bought out of the crisis leaving independent business owners and their families out on the street, etc. Thats why americans should own guns, to be able to take it back. But like i said, its not about politics. Its about finding companies (if they exist) that actually have morals in some way... ecologically, politically or otherwise. And thanks again for all your replies... even though a lot of it is accusing and shows not having read or understood all of my posts, i appreciate it.
Old 30th March 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 
GZsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyuncertainty View Post
well, i'm glad a lot of people don't "understand' my post. its not a political discussion as much as a question about equipment companies, and i don't expect everyone to share my view, but i don't find the united states has as much freedom as the people who live there think it does. i've since left the united states because i was tired of paying $500 per month for health care, hearing about sh*t like FEMA camps, guantanamo bay and taxes to a war which is SOLELY OVER OIL. And I gotta say, a lot europeans get a way better deal, even more rights than americans get. I understand that soldiers can have good intentions, but the BIGGER PICTURE is exactly what i mean. We all see it different. Thats ok. And yeah, after we started using Coke in the guitar shop to clean hardware, i stopped drinking it. Not necessarily because of the politics but because of the common sense of how bad it is for you, never cared much for Bud either. And i think independent people, should have a right to own a gun, precisely for instances like now when the government is completely out of control, brainwashing, rigged elections, no real voice, but wanting the people to feel like they do, corporations getting bought out of the crisis leaving independent business owners and their families out on the street, etc. Thats why americans should own guns, to be able to take it back. But like i said, its not about politics. Its about finding companies (if they exist) that actually have morals in some way... ecologically, politically or otherwise. And thanks again for all your replies... even though a lot of it is accusing and shows not having read or understood all of my posts, i appreciate it.
Well, the neat thing is that you have every right to your opinion. Just like everyone else. And the really neat thing is that your opinion is worth exactly as much as anyone else's and not one bit more or less.

So.. I congratulate you for following your own moral code and moving where you feel things are better.

In the meantime, just about wherever you live on this planet, America is providing defense for you.

But don't think about "big picture" stuff like that. Enjoy your life and make lots of music.
Top Mentioned Products
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nobtwiddler / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
Poopants / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
3
duncansound / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
yarrick19 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
nobtwiddler / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump