The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools - any known problems? Control Surfaces
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Head

Question Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools - any known problems?

is there any issue with using Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools, wanted to know before i kill myself buying one. Thanks for the help in advance fellow slutz

p.s i posted this in the wrong place before but will be deleting tht post im new to this

Last edited by Blast9; 25th March 2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: misleading title thread
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

bump
Old 25th March 2010
there shouldn't be a problem. It says on Tascam's website it works with both Logic and Pro Tools.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Famous .. Good Post and Worthy.

I've looked at the Tascam as it's one of the few standalone 24 channel fader controllers in its particular segment of the market. There are other threads about the Tascam around here from a few years back if you search.

It's integration with Logic Audio is meant to be good, but I know certain Slutz have had driver issues with some DAW packages. Tech Support from Tascam was so-so apparently. Still worth a look though.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is currently using it with either Logic 9, ProTools 8 or Nuendo.

I've definitely considered buying it, but was a bit cautious. Any Slutz care to chime in ?
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Mike ..

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily take what's written on the Tascam website as Gospel.

From my own experiences, Tascam are one of a few companies who tend to be a bit slow at support and up to date information.

Not dissing, but it's a discontinued product. Support issues can become thorny between the cracks and the grey areas.

Cheers RAy
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Tascam US-2400. Logic 9. ProTools. Anyone using?

Bump this thread like BellBottom Flares and Platform Heels ..

Tascam US-2400. Logic 9. ProTools.

Anyone successfully using the Tascam US-2400 Control Surface with Logic 9 or ProTool 8?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thread Title

BTW Famous .. The title of the thread may not be wining us any friends .. FWIW, its best to list the gear in the thread title so it's clear what the thread is about .. .. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ray_subsonic; 22nd April 2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Thread title was rectified by mod
Old 25th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai
Tascam us-2400
looks prety.
feels nice.
looks good.
has decent software to show parameters in the pc screen.

but have issues.

a Novation Remote SL should be better for ITB.
Copied from the other thread
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
BTW Famous .. The title of the thread may not be wining us any friends .. FWIW, its best to list the gear in the thread title so it's clear what the thread is about .. .. Hope this helps.

thanks man im such a noob at forums
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

Question

novation remote sl is a midi keyboard to my knowledge, is there any other 25 channel control surface that will work with logic 9, protools 8 and 7......i kno theres the mackie but thats beacoup money

thanks again fellow gear heads
Old 26th March 2010
Here for the gear

US-2400 and Logic

Hi Famous Audio.

I'm using Tascam US-2400 with Logic 9, successfully.

First, US-2400 control surface is fully supported by Logic.

This means you can control volume, pan but also EQ with US-2400 encoders.

INFO: to get all this working, you need to put US-2400 in Native mode.

To do so, with the US-2400 in standby, simultaneously press and hold master SEL and CHAN keys. Not the AUX5 key as it is mistakenly stated in Logic manual.

Other things you can do with US-2400:

- select tracks, arm record, set punch in and out points

- control AUX send levels

- edit plugins and instruments

and more.

Enjoying it.

Just take note that there is no LCD display on US-2400. There was an application, SoftLCD, emulating this on computer screen. For track names, encoders mapping. But it doesn't work on Intel Macs.

Old 8th April 2010
Here for the gear

bump
Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Stefan,

I just got one of these. I'm digging it, but the faders don't jump/null to where they should go when I open an existing project. How do I remedy this?

Also, is it supposed to show up as a us-2400 and two mackie extenders in the control surface prefs?

Thanks
Old 12th April 2010
Gear Addict

I use one with SONAR and love it. I use it in the Mackie Control mode so it shows up as 1 MCU and 2 Mackie Extenders
Old 12th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Jimmy,

you should not see the two mackie extenders.

Are you sure you have US-2400 in native mode?

If it is the case, the CHAN button blinks when you power up US-2400.

To be sure that there is no corruption in Logic's control surface preferences, you can backup then delete the pref file.

The file is: com.apple.logic.pro.cs, and is located in /HD/Users/[yourname]/Library/Preferences

Power up US-2400 and launch Logic. Logic should recognize only your US-2400 and no mackie extenders.

What version of firmware do you have? Last one is 1.31.

there is a way to check the installed firmware. Hold CHAN, SCRUB, BANK+ and OUT until all the LEDs come on. Hold SHIFT and press IN once. LEDs 1 - 3 will tell you what version is installed. One LED lit = 1, two LEDs lit = 2, etc. So from left to right, you should have One, Three, One, indicating that you have 1.31 installed.

After checking this out, you'll want to cycle the power on the unit (unplug & replug).

You can find firmware update on Tascam site:

TASCAM

Hope thats helps, Jimmy, keep me informed

Old 12th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
I use one with SONAR and love it. I use it in the Mackie Control mode so it shows up as 1 MCU and 2 Mackie Extenders
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Stefan,

I have to run out--I will delete prefs when I get back later. I did the firmware check steps, but do you mean the pans? if it's the pan knobs (aux 1-3) it looks like 1 dot, 3dots and 1.

I believe I downloaded the latest and updated, but I'm a bit foggy on that.

Thanks, I'll update you!
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

OK--trashed prefs, powered up the 2400. It doesn't come up at MCU, but still only some of the faders jump to where they are supposed to be in a new project--the last eight, some of the first 8, and most of the middle 8.

Do they all jump to null for you?

Thanks,

J
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Head

Tascam

I am on Logic9 with the Us2400.
Had lots of problems, faders jumping, leds going mad.
Useable but just a real pain. I cant QUITE remember what I did but its working perfectly now. All channels going great, no jumping, auxs and transports working now. So if it means anything, it can work!

D
Old 13th April 2010
Had one years ago. Used it with Pt. Worked fine until, suddenly the thing started leaking some weird white powder from the inside
I returned it to the dealer, who looked . Weeks later they claimed still not knowing what the problem was, and that they could offer me to clean the unit from the white powder.
I freaked out, and was able to buy something else from the company, for the money I had spend on it!
24 faders might be tempting, but I would go for a simpler 8 fader unit, like a mackie.
Just my opinion of course!

Mikkel
Old 13th April 2010
Lives for gear

I bought a US2400, used it with Logic 8 back then and sold it after a week or so. I bought it quite cheap so there wasn't much to lose and I wanted to give it a go. Anyway, what bugged me was the lack of a display on it, I just was not too keen on looking at the computer screen all the time to know what track I was working on. There's this program by Tascam called SoftLCD which should help you with this, but it didn't work for me.

Another reason that made me sell it, is the lack of future support. Say, you're on OS X 10.6.3 now, and for some reason, your unit won't work with 10.6.4, or let's say 10.7 or 11.0. It's very likely neither Apple or Tascam is going to give you any support, since the unit is discontinued. I like to keep my systems up to date, and didn't like this idea.

YMMV of course.
Old 13th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Jimmy,

Quote:
I did the firmware check steps, but do you mean the pans? if it's the pan knobs (aux 1-3) it looks like 1 dot, 3dots and 1.
Ok, so you have version 1.3.1, which is last firmware.

Quote:
OK--trashed prefs, powered up the 2400. It doesn't come up at MCU, but still only some of the faders jump to where they are supposed to be in a new project--the last eight, some of the first 8, and most of the middle 8.

Do they all jump to null for you?
Looks that you don't have the US-2400 in Native mode.

To put it in native mode, with the US-2400 in standby, simultaneously press and hold Master SEL and CHAN keys.

Now when you power up, the CHAN button should be blinking, to show you are in native mode.

By the way, what version of logic and what computer do you use Jimmy?

Anything else connected on USB?

Quote:
So if it means anything, it can work!
Sure it works perfect here.
Old 13th April 2010
Gear Head

hmm so im hearing mixed reviews of tascam us 2400 working with logic? this is sooo scary lol
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sei046 View Post
I am on Logic9 with the Us2400.
Had lots of problems, faders jumping, leds going mad.
Useable but just a real pain. I cant QUITE remember what I did but its working perfectly now. All channels going great, no jumping, auxs and transports working now. So if it means anything, it can work!

D

Haha--my first opportunity to FP--your response reminds of when I ask people for gum and they say, "oh, I've got some in the car." Can't blame you for not remembering...does give me hope, though I'm not super-irritated or anything, it'll just be nice when this is flawless.

Stefan, I checked the blinking (followed the steps as you prescribed several times,) so I believe I AM in Native mode. I'm on 9.0.2 (went back after 9.1 was a crashfest nightmare), and I also have a Novation zero 64 keyboard usb. Oddly enough, the novation isn't even showing up in the control surface preferences.

The us-2400 is showing up as one icon. My only complaint is that it doesn't null the faders where they're supposed to go when a project opens up. when I touch one, the fader on logic will jump to where the fader is on the us-2400. But, some of the faders DO null--the last 14, and 6 in a project I just opened, for example.

I would love to know what sei046 did! Maybe I'll just keep deleting it and restarting. Any other ideas? I think this will great when it's flawless, and now it's usable. the transport is fine, and I can do vocal rides just fine...
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

ok, update--after deleting it and unplugging, plugging back in, it's still the same in that I have to press bank - and bank+ several times to get all the faders to null, and then sometimes they go mismatching again (with logic). odd...

Also, at some point, the shuttle wheen adopted a minute resolution so that it's not really helpful. I do like that the FF/RWD buttons go a measure at a time, though!

onward...strangely enough, I think it was performing better briefly at the beginning in MCU mode, when it showed up as MCU and extenders, maybe I'll try that again.
Old 14th April 2010
Here for the gear

Hi Jimmy,

i also had strange behaviour when US-2400 was not set to native mode. This is the key.

Quote:
The us-2400 is showing up as one icon.
That's good.
If you click on the icon, you should see in left column:
Input: Port 1
Output: All

Check it.

Do you have the EQ working?
To test that:
- insert Channel EQ on a Logic track (first insert)
- press SEL button on US-2400 to select the track
- rotate Pan encoder labelled GAIN 1
- you should see your EQ gain springing to life in Channel Eq window
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Wul View Post
Hi Jimmy,

i also had strange behaviour when US-2400 was not set to native mode. This is the key.

That's good.
If you click on the icon, you should see in left column:
Input: Port 1
Output: All

Check it.

Do you have the EQ working?
To test that:
- insert Channel EQ on a Logic track (first insert)
- press SEL button on US-2400 to select the track
- rotate Pan encoder labelled GAIN 1
- you should see your EQ gain springing to life in Channel Eq window

I had friends in town and didn't get to see this.

Thanks Stefan, I set the in/out as you instructed, and the EQ works. However, I still have the issue that faders don't jump to null where they should to match the logic mixer when a project opens (some do--usually the middle 8 faders). I try flipping banks back and forth, and some jump, but never all of them match. This is beginning to be a drag

Maybe I could trouble you or sei to post screenshots of your preferences with the tascam?

Anyway, thanks for trying, I'm on hold (10min and going) waiting for Tascam support.
Old 20th April 2010
Here for the gear

Here it is Jimmy:

Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools - any known problems?-us2400-cspref.png

You can also check Audio Midi Setup. There should be 6 ports.

Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools - any known problems?-us2400-audiomidisetup.png
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks! Did you also have a "us-2400 loader" two channel icon in the audio midi? I deleted the one in mine just now, will see if that helps.
Old 20th April 2010
Here for the gear

Only an icon for "US 2400" with 6 ports.

Tascam US-2400 with logic 9 and pro tools - any known problems?-us2400-audiomidimain.png

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search