The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best midi drum files: SD 2.0, SSD, AD, or EZ Drummer? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Best midi drum files: SD 2.0, SSD, AD, or EZ Drummer?

I'm looking to buy a new drum program Like Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0 Metal Foundry, etc. and I'm not sure what program will give me the most to experiment with midi-wise. I'm looking for metal/funk midi drum files. I know bothe AD and SD2.0 have them. Anyone with experience with either program's midi files and implementation? I'm mainly wondering how good/interesting are the midi loops? And how easy is it to manipulate and change around the steps/hits to your liking?

I'm not sure if BFD has midi files too or if it's just a drum sample program (so I didn't include it in the title). I'm mostly interested in AD, SD2.0 and SSD, but am open to other midi drum file programs.

I think I like all 3 as far as sounds go, but any input on that aspect of these programs is definitely welcome because I'm still up in the air on which to get.
Old 24th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I'm looking to buy a new drum program Like Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0 Metal Foundry, etc. and I'm not sure what program will give me the most to experiment with midi-wise. I'm looking for metal/funk midi drum files. I know bothe AD and SD2.0 have them. Anyone with experience with either program's midi files and implementation? I'm mainly wondering how good/interesting are the midi loops? And how easy is it to manipulate and change around the steps/hits to your liking?

I'm not sure if BFD has midi files too or if it's just a drum sample program (so I didn't include it in the title). I'm mostly interested in AD, SD2.0 and SSD, but am open to other midi drum file programs.

I think I like all 3 as far as sounds go, but any input on that aspect of these programs is definitely welcome because I'm still up in the air on which to get.
If you hurry you can join the group buy thats going on right now..I bought the 1st group buy from them and it is great, the drum sound real (because they are) and UN-processed like you are in the room playing a kit. If you want ready to go processed drums go with Steven slate, I have both and need nothing else...I do have AD,ez, and BFD..but no longer use them since I got the group but and SSD!!!

Both of these drums play great on E-kits..I have the Alesis usb pro kit and they are awesome!!
Old 24th March 2010
BFD2 ships with over 5000 grooves.

Rail
Old 24th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

OOOPS, sorry, I did not read the part about midi groves..in that case the group buy would not be good, we got a few with it but they were free even without the GB..the squids grooves were ok but not nothing really useable for me..I got a E-kit so I no longer need help with grooves..If you get ez player pro you can use any midi grooves with almost any software!!
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Group buy for what product? (and where?)...
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Dang, I don't know how many Superior Drums 2.0 has, but 5000 is a lot for BFD2. I think I saw Addictive Drums has 300 midi grooves for their Metal pak, 400 in their Funk pak. Not sure about Metal Foundry or Funk Masters for SD.

I'm looking about buying drum sample programs with or without drum grooves, mainly with, but RTR your comments are still helpful Still curious as to what group buy?
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone?

Does anyone know which programs allow you to edit the velocities per step of the midi groove? I think that's going to be a big selling point for me. I see BFD2 has a really nice sequencer that makes it easy to do this. I don't see this on AD. Does it have anything like that?

I think I've come to the conclusion that there might just not be a 'right' answer here. They all sound dang good.

So I decided I need to now focus on which programs give you better midi grooves. I'm not completely sure, but SD 2.0 seems like it has a lot of packs out there. Which I guess can either mean more variety or more money out the window. BFD has a buttload of midi grooves and AD seems to have a good amount, but not as much as either. Anyone care to comment on the midi grooves for these programs. SD2.0, BFD2 and AD all have Metal midi paks, but AD seems to have the smallest footprint...? Does BFD2 allow you to drag your midi groove onto your DAW like the others? The more I listen to BFD2, the more I think it's probably not what I'm shooting for, but it's tough to say without using it in a song. I think BFD2 might have some of the best quality sounding drums I guess which is why I am confused as to why it won't fit with what I'm doing to compose processed sounding metal and electro pop drums.
Old 26th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Group buy for what product? (and where?)...
Group buy for Ultimate Studio Drums II Drum masters 2 at esoundz.com....here is a link to the GS group buy page

PS. I can give you a good deal on EZ player pro since I dont need it anymore plus a **** load of midi grooves !!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/group-buys/
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
BFD2 ships with over 5000 grooves.

Rail
hey man, do you why i can't bounce a BFD instrument in mono using a Logic 9 ? they will only bounce in stereo only. no matter what i do. i.e stereo/ or multi out into logic aux mono etc.. .. but still it wont bounce a stem out mono.
Old 27th March 2010
I don't use Logic, but you can find folks who do on the FXpansion forum.

Cheers,

Rail
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Well, being that I'm into BFD and want something a little more process and I feel SD2.0 has the biggest collection, I'm going with it. Though AD looks nice, but I think if you consider for metal, AD has 300 midi grooves in their pack while SD2.0 has something like a thousand, say no more. Though AD is still in the mix later, I just haven't heard enough metal demos of their stuff to pull me that direction.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

ez drummer has pretty cool midi loops that you dont have to struggle to fit your music
AD is a great piece of software but the sound is pretty bad when you compare it to the others
SSD has the best sounds overall... but you gotta get the midi working within your DAW. They had a crazy deal last month... $20 for the SSD EX... you're a few weeks too late

BFD is the most complete one, it has it's own midi editing tools, tons of midi grooves, but you gotta have a NASA computer to run it together with your DAW
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

i think addictive drums is one of the most convincing just because of the quality of the midi libraries....
Old 29th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

I think you will be happy with the SSD..I did this little clip with them just to see how they sound, I am still trying to get my E-kit to trigger the way I want it to but they sound good except for a few stray hits...
Attached Files

cool rock.mp3 (4.65 MB, 1502 views)

Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I think you will be happy with the SSD..I did this little clip with them just to see how they sound, I am still trying to get my E-kit to trigger the way I want it to but they sound good except for a few stray hits...
cool man SSD is awesome... the drums just pops out, best snare and toms out there
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagoabreu View Post
ez drummer has pretty cool midi loops that you dont have to struggle to fit your music
AD is a great piece of software but the sound is pretty bad when you compare it to the others
SSD has the best sounds overall... but you gotta get the midi working within your DAW. They had a crazy deal last month... $20 for the SSD EX... you're a few weeks too late

BFD is the most complete one, it has it's own midi editing tools, tons of midi grooves, but you gotta have a NASA computer to run it together with your DAW
Thanks for reminding me However, I found someone wanting to sell a sealed copy of SSD EX and just bought it. So I'm happy I'll get a taste.

That the one reason I like BFD is the midi editing on it. Another option for editing midi is a plus. As for midi grooves, BFD has 5000 as previously mentioned, AD has about 3500 and not sure about SD2.0 (but I know it has ton of expansion packs with more midi grooves too). I'm just realizing people saying it's not the quantity but quality of the grooves, pointing towards Addicitive Drums as having some of the better grooves, as whyuncertainty pointed out also. Very interesting. I thought both demos online sounded pretty good from each though.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me However, I found someone wanting to sell a sealed copy of SSD EX and just bought it. So I'm happy I'll get a taste.

That the one reason I like BFD is the midi editing on it. Another option for editing midi is a plus. As for midi grooves, BFD has 5000 as previously mentioned, AD has about 3500 and not sure about SD2.0 (but I know it has ton of expansion packs with more midi grooves too). I'm just realizing people saying it's not the quantity but quality of the grooves, pointing towards Addicitive Drums as having some of the better grooves, as whyuncertainty pointed out also. Very interesting. I thought both demos online sounded pretty good from each though.
That´s cool that you got SSD, you wont be disappointed
Addictive Drums is very usable, there are some good sounding kits, but I feel it gets blured within the mix.. Put on good headphones and compare the snare and toms with SSD and you'll hear what i mean. Feels like AD lacks definition... Not a big surprise though as the file size of both must mean something but yeah, the grooves are killer. Get some parallel compression going and you may have something good
Old 1st April 2010
There's a GREAT deal on Superior Drummer on ebay right now!
approx $110 shipped

Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 Software NEW Sealed - eBay (item 230456462770 end time Apr-10-10 08:51:29 PDT)

You can thank me later :-) heh
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Wtf, how? That's a crazy deal if it's legit. I don't understand how they can sell for that cheap if it's new and sealed, never been registered. ....That would essentially allow me to get this and AD, along with SSD EX I just bought. Let the sun shine down. heh
Old 1st April 2010
seems legit to me. and if it's not, you're covered with ebay/paypal. guy seems to have good feedback. good luck.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

Can anyone who owns this confirm that's what the box looks like?Anyone know if it comes on dvd's or a hard drive?

I'd really like this but it seems to good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
approx $110 shipped

Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 Software NEW Sealed - eBay (item 230456462770 end time Apr-10-10 08:51:29 PDT)

Old 1st April 2010
comes on dvd's. if u go to toon's website you can see same box.
i took a chance and ordered a copy, got email already saying it shipped. we'll see if it's the real deal when i get it.
if not, i'm not too concerned b/c i'll get money back from paypal. been thru this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroDano View Post
Can anyone who owns this confirm that's what the box looks like?Anyone know if it comes on dvd's or a hard drive?

I'd really like this but it seems to good to be true.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

meh,took a gamble and ordered it too.At least i know who can help me get my $$$ back if it's not the real deal. heh
Old 1st April 2010
In my 2 experiences with rip-off-artists on ebay, I've gotten my money back by payping thru paypal and filing claim thru them. just keep all documentation. hopefully, it's just a good deal and no worries.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Maniac

I emailed them and asked was it the full version and not a crossgrade,or upgrade.I also asked how they could sell it for that price.Here's the responce i got.

This item was recovered from lost or refused freight. The only information we have about this item is from the item itself. If you would like more information regarding this model, please conduct an internet search or contact the manufacturer.
Thanks,
Old 1st April 2010
Thx, PyroDano, for checking with the seller and posting response here.

The box they show is the FULL version. The "crossgrade" box looks like this:
Buy Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 Crossgrade | Virtual Sound Modules | Drum & Percussion | Virtual Instrument Upgrades & Crossgrades | Musician's Friend

And the "upgrade" version" looks like this:
Buy Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 Upgrade | Virtual Sound Modules | Drum & Percussion | Virtual Instrument Upgrades & Crossgrades | Musician's Friend

IF we are shipped anything different than what's show in the auction, I'll send it back for a full refund.

Quote:
I emailed them and asked was it the full version and not a crossgrade,or upgrade.I also asked how they could sell it for that price.Here's the responce i got.

This item was recovered from lost or refused freight. The only information we have about this item is from the item itself. If you would like more information regarding this model, please conduct an internet search or contact the manufacturer.
Thanks,
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, I bought it too. I researched SD2.0 enough to where I don't have a problem buying this product from them and everything seems to match up, if it's in fact as described. So either way you're covered and can't lose.
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

I just got another email from them today.

"This is the full version. We are a freight recovery company and we receive lost and refused freight."
Thanks
James

NPS Store eBay Sales Team

So thank you,thank you thank you You saved me $250

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
approx $110 shipped

Old 2nd April 2010
great! so glad to share the info here.

Quote:
I just got another email from them today.

"This is the full version. We are a freight recovery company and we receive lost and refused freight."
Thanks
James

NPS Store eBay Sales Team

So thank you,thank you thank you You saved me $250
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Just purchased one for myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search