The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Cable/Connectors for Inst Cables
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Question Best Cable/Connectors for Inst Cables

I did a search for this but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I want to protect my signal from electrical interference.

I want to build instrument cables for my guitar and also some shorties for my pedalboard (definitely will need right angle for those)

-What is the best cable to use? Do people ever use mic cable with one wire disconnected? Is there shielding or versatility of use benefit to this?

-What are the best connectors? I will need to buy regular straights but mostly right angle connectors.

Bearing in mind this is low end, and I dont want to spend a fortune but I'd like to know the middle of the road price/quality options and maybe some spendier ones too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 23rd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
I did a search for this but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I want to protect my signal from electrical interference.

I want to build instrument cables for my guitar and also some shorties for my pedalboard (definitely will need right angle for those)

-What is the best cable to use? Do people ever use mic cable with one wire disconnected? Is there shielding or versatility of use benefit to this?

-What are the best connectors? I will need to buy regular straights but mostly right angle connectors.

Bearing in mind this is low end, and I dont want to spend a fortune but I'd like to know the middle of the road price/quality options and maybe some spendier ones too.

Thanks in advance!
Check out the cable from the Bill Lawrence Website

I use them with Neutrik connectors (I prefer soldering to solderless -- makes me feel more confident).
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

If you haven't checked out Redco yet you should. They have great prices, great service and you can have them build you custom cables out of very good components for very reasonable prices. You can call them with questions about what would be best for what you want too.

Redco Audio
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

I have a Mogami Gold Series guitar cable that's heads above any of my other instrument cables. Mogami wire with Neutrik connectors. Solid and super quiet.

I also love REDCO's products, customer service and prices. They're top notch. They really do sell everything you need.

Bill Lawrence is also top notch when it comes to product reliability, quality, and service. This is a guy right here in the U.S. who is a guru in his field. If he says it's so, then it's so. I put 2 of his pickups in my Strat and love the tone. I also installed one of his Tone filters in the same Strat and again, am very happy with the results. Now it looks like I'm going to have to try his cable and connectors - I didn't know he had a product line like that. Nice link mtl777, appreciate it.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

I use Canare GS-6 and gold plated Neutrik connectors to build my own.

I noticed a pretty drastic improvement over my George L's!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I'll probably go to redco for the cable, here are the prices I found per foot.

Gotham GAC-1 US$0.46 / $11.50 for 25ft
Redco TGS-HD US$0.49 / $12.25 for 25ft

I think I'll probably go with one of these

Mogami W2524 US$0.73 / $18.25 for 25ft
Canare GS-6 US$0.80 / $20.00 for 25ft

What other than Neutrik do you guys like for connectors? I know Neutriks are good but I want some other options.

Also, does anyone have any tips with the construction / heat shrinking/ etc to ensure a high quality DIY cable?
Old 24th March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
What other than Neutrik do you guys like for connectors? I know Neutriks are good but I want some other options.

Also, does anyone have any tips with the construction / heat shrinking/ etc to ensure a high quality DIY cable?
SwitchCraft connectors are also good.

If you have good soldering skills, not much to advise but the quality of solder is also important. I use Kester 2% silver solder.
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

To be honest, the MAIN reason that I use Neutrik connectors is the fact that they have a pretty amazing strain relief. I think that will contribute more to longer life and less trouble than pretty much any other factor!
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Filpansick View Post
To be honest, the MAIN reason that I use Neutrik connectors is the fact that they have a pretty amazing strain relief. I think that will contribute more to longer life and less trouble than pretty much any other factor!

I think I'm sold on the neurtriks. They seem to be pretty much a standard.

Thanks for the help!
Old 25th March 2010
I go through a company called guitar-cable that offer amazing cables for a great price. All my cables are 100% oxygen free copper wire with gold plated G&H connectors with copper tips. These cables are amazing there also used by bands from chimiara to lamb of god to brad paisly to motley crew. I think you get the point. And i paid roughly $20 for a 30ft cable. I swear by these cables. You can compare them to a $100 mogami cable and not hear a difference.
Old 25th March 2010
Gear Head

I use Mogami gold for instrument to pedal board and pedal board to amp,
with lava cables for pedal board.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

Evidence Audio cables with Neutrik for patch and Switchcraft (solid as a tank) for instruments and pedals

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search