The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Speakers/Monitors to keep the neighbors in check =) (please read)
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Addict

Angry Speakers/Monitors to keep the neighbors in check =) (please read)

Alright, so I live in an apartment, and as I realize that loud music can be annoying and distracting to other people, I always keep my monitoring levels at a limit and barely monitor during the week anyways (when I do, I keep levels EXTREMELY low)

But lately, the neighbors downstairs somehow feel that they need to use their living room as a practice space for a full drum-set. Although at first I was very accommodating, knowing a few people that perform as well, I tried to ignore the loud sounds. But lately, these people play loud until late at night, including weekdays!

Well I tried to ask them politely to please lower their volumes while rehearsing, or to at least try rehearsing on weekends, but they weren't very nice to me...

Anyways, I also tried talking to the super, but he doesn't seem to be doing his job. This brings the following question:

What is the loudest, most heavy bass set of large studio monitors or PA system can I purchase (under 1k) to allow me to play oldschool corny pop songs (backstreet boys and nsycn, LFO etc) whenever the neighbors decide they won't let me sleep at night?

I wouldn't mind a large PA system, but would like a nice loud set of monitors since I would be able to use them later on to mix too

Thanks beforehand.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

kesslerjesus that's a bad situation to be in but if you want them to feel your pain find an used pair of the ole Peavey SP1's and and the proper amping for them not only will they your hear your protest they will also feel it and also the surrounding neighborhood. :-)

NOT GOOD FOR recording though.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXROOM View Post
kesslerjesus that's a bad situation to be in but if you want them to feel your pain find an used pair of the ole Peavey SP1's and and the proper amping for them not only will they your hear your protest they will also feel it and also the surrounding neighborhood. :-)

NOT GOOD FOR recording though.
Try getting a second hand pair of Quested 2x10s and an MC2 1450. That setup can be seen in nightclubs as they're so frikkin loud, but even at that volume you can use them for really high end monitoring. Mega speakers.

If you can find about $50k, buy a pair of PMC BB5s. That's a 1" tweeter, 5-6" midrange unit and a 15" bass driver... so in essence it IS a PA speaker. But they're also the chosen monitoring for most of the UKs best studios.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

heh
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Try getting a second hand pair of Quested 2x10s and an MC2 1450. That setup can be seen in nightclubs as they're so frikkin loud, but even at that volume you can use them for really high end monitoring. Mega speakers.

If you can find about $50k, buy a pair of PMC BB5s. That's a 1" tweeter, 5-6" midrange unit and a 15" bass driver... so in essence it IS a PA speaker. But they're also the chosen monitoring for most of the UKs best studios.
I think you had a brain fart. The High End forum is up there ^^^

For $1000 just get the nicest monitors you can. Not worth getting a PA system just to piss off neighbors. Better yet, why don't you use that grand towards moving. If you try to play their game my guess is you will be the one with the police at your door, and you'll be left feeling like an idiot with a disturbing the peace ticket.

Lastly, don't get Adam A7's if you are going the monitor route. Chances are you will break them the 1st time you try to crank them. heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

A P-bass into a Mesa Titan V-12 will wake everyone in your town and make them think Gawd has come to call in his flock.

After the neighbors poop their big-kid pants they will move out if they can still walk
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax View Post
A P-bass into a Mesa Titan V-12 will wake everyone in your town and make them think Gawd has come to call in his flock.

After the neighbors poop their big-kid pants they will move out if they can still walk
after my house mate from room directly below moaned about my music one night that i wasn't listening to music (she just systematically moaned at about 10pm and was usually correct), I took matters into my own hands.

faced my 4x10 straight onto the floor, plugged it into the Ampeg (SVT-II), plugged my bass into it and leant it up against the amp - thus causing lots of feedback. used the compressor racked with the amp to stop it getting dangerous to the amp, but still loud as necessary.

gave it about 10 minutes before switching off and laughing myself to sleep.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTrax View Post
LMAO I can picture that

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post

faced my 4x10 straight onto the floor, plugged it into the Ampeg (SVT-II), plugged my bass into it and leant it up against the amp - thus causing lots of feedback. used the compressor racked with the amp to stop it getting dangerous to the amp, but still loud as necessary.

gave it about 10 minutes before switching off and laughing myself to sleep.
LOL It seems the more popular suggestion is a nice amplifier and a bass guitar, so I guess the pbass i recently bought is going to come in handy.

Man, I really hate to do this, but if I don't do something about it, they're just going to continue being rude.

I think I'm just going to borrow a loud amp from a buddy of mine then, I really didn't want to spend too much money on large monitors that I wouldn't use, just because my neighbors are ****** bags. But the bass/amp option never crossed my mind, guess I wasn't thinking evil enough haha

I'l make sure to report back after executing the plan heh

thanks for all your advice!
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

cold blooded, i like it.

Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesslerjesus View Post
LMAO I can picture that

LOL It seems the more popular suggestion is a nice amplifier and a bass guitar, so I guess the pbass i recently bought is going to come in handy.

Man, I really hate to do this, but if I don't do something about it, they're just going to continue being rude.

I think I'm just going to borrow a loud amp from a buddy of mine then, I really didn't want to spend too much money on large monitors that I wouldn't use, just because my neighbors are ****** bags. But the bass/amp option never crossed my mind, guess I wasn't thinking evil enough haha

I'l make sure to report back after executing the plan heh

thanks for all your advice!

You know like one of the previous persons stated more than likely the police will be called on you and you will get screwed over again. Try talking one more time to your landlord to resolve the issue and also your neighbor.Remember we are to turn the other cheek kesslerJESUS but remember this we only have two of them. If they still refuse to comply then do what you feel necessary short of violence .
Old 22nd March 2010
Why not call the cops on them the minute they start? I would believe your neighborhood has noise ordinance.

After about 20 phone calls to the police, the neighbors will get the point.

I would also believe that your building would have some kind of noise ordinance in the lease. I'd speak with the super again and state if they don't step in to help, you'll break your lease and take them to small claims court for any deposit you have given them.
Old 22nd March 2010
Crazy idea...call the cops.

I've never lived anywhere where anyone was tolerant of late night playing, and in apartments I've never seen them be tolerant of drums at all. It sounds like you've been more than accommodating. If they wanna be jerks about it, that's what the police are for. I'd warn them one last time, then call.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Double pedals for kick drum right up any inner wall... then again, the neighborhood will think it's a machine gun and call the special forces on you.

The feedbacking bass guitar should work nicely. Beware of structural damage though, it's like a tiny earthquake.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Get a hard wooden floor and take up tap dancing.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Addict

lol.. The mesa boogie titan v12 is a MONSTER! My bass player has one and its running through 4 12 inch eminence neodymium speakers in a vintage Kustom cab circa 1972 .. Your neighbors would think the world is coming to an end!
Attached Thumbnails
Speakers/Monitors to keep the neighbors in check =) (please read)-picture-039.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search