The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need a pair of monitors for $500 or less Studio Monitors
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Need a pair of monitors for $500 or less

Looking for a decent pair of monitors for $500 or less for my home studio. It's a fairly small room size (14ft ft 11ft), so I don't need anything ridiculously loud.

And, yes, I know that if I just had only x more dollars I could get these way better and more amazing monitors, but I don't- so please don't recommend anything more expensive than $500! Thanks.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

these..

Prodipe Pro Ribbon*8

there's also the ribbon 5.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

For $500, I'd suggest getting into the used market if you can. Yamaha, KRK are probably pretty easy to find for less than $500. I bought a set of KRK 8s for $200 two weeks ago and you can't find anything better for $200!
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Prodipe Pro Ribbon*8

there's also the ribbon 5.
Did you get a chance to compare with the Behringer Truth B3031A? I ask cause they seem to be in direct competition with each other...

BEHRINGER: B3031A

Personally, I'm more interested in the smaller B3030A that comes with a 6" 3/4 woofer. I feel an 8" woofer is too big for close monitoring. And i fear the ribbon 5 wont relieved enough bass with that 5" woofer. I'd get Prodipe if they had one with a 6" woofer. Sounds like a good deal according to that review.

BEHRINGER: B3030A

Last edited by MustacheVerra; 21st March 2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: i forgot something...
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

NHT M-00s. Translate really well. Later on you can add the matching sub - makes a really decent, cheap, full range system.
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

How about Alesis M1 Active MK2?
Old 21st March 2010
Lives for gear

Got my Yam HS80's for just a hair over $500, on Ebay, new in box. Bought from a reputable seller. You can find great deals.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't seem to be a general consensus on 'the best' pair for around $500 though. Any more?

What kind of Yamaha/Rockits?
Old 21st March 2010
Here for the gear

Interesting topic, I'm also looking for cheap monitors atm. :D

I'm wondering why it's so hard to find any tests w/ measurements of the mentioned speakers, maybe people think they're too cheap to bother? :p
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the a-b theory View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Doesn't seem to be a general consensus on 'the best' pair for around $500 though. Any more?

What kind of Yamaha/Rockits?
Best is all a state of mind for what is best for one person will not be for another.What is so important to anyone recording and mixing down will be the room environment .Is your room treated with bass traps and so on.For some reason many neglect this issue and think if they have a nice set of monitors all we be well,but that is so far from the truth .I look at a room as an instrument that needs to be tuned. For the money and room size that you have to work with I would say check out the KRK line of monitors.

KRK g2 5's or 6's
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post
Interesting topic, I'm also looking for cheap monitors atm. :D

I'm wondering why it's so hard to find any tests w/ measurements of the mentioned speakers, maybe people think they're too cheap to bother? :p
Their are some post written buy Speeddemon awhile back on his adventure into checking out different monitors very informative I thought. Do a search and check them out.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXROOM View Post
Their are some post written buy Speeddemon awhile back on his adventure into checking out different monitors very informative I thought. Do a search and check them out.
Yep, and he advised KRK RP5 and RP6 in that price point. I think he's right about those two being excellent monitors for that price: you can really work with those.
Old 22nd March 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for the suggestions.
Gotta listen to the KRKs somewhere. They seem to be quite nice, but the yellow sucks. heh
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

I recently picked up used Event ASP8'sfor $500 on Ebay. They are absolutely incredible. I am no longer considering A7's or HS80's which I tested multiple times in GC. The ASP8's are perfect, I'm done.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gotta listen to the KRKs somewhere. They seem to be quite nice, but the yellow sucks. heh
+1 on the yellow sucking. makes it looks like a cheezy kids speaker. "Fisher-Price DJ" or something. a bit of a turn-off for me.

White or black are my limits when it comes to speaker cones.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Maniac

Okay, after a lot of research, I plan on purchasing one of the following pair of monitors:

KRK RP5 G2 Rokit

KRK RP6 G2 Rokit

(Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra 100 dollar jump to go from the 5's to the 6's? What are the main differences?)

JBL LSR 2325P

Mackie MR5

& Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8 (just got a great review in sound on sound mangazine)

Between those 5 (all of which are priced around 400 dollars new), which pair should I buy?
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
After you listen to and mix a few songs using the KRK's the bright yellow color seems to fade away.
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Maniac

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Poop View Post
I recently picked up used Event ASP8'sfor $500 on Ebay. They are absolutely incredible. I am no longer considering A7's or HS80's which I tested multiple times in GC. The ASP8's are perfect, I'm done.
I have a pair of ASP 8 standing in my basement. Used them for 5 months before I got the Opals. They sound amazing and I actually don't want to sell the ASP8 but my wife is giving me a hard time :-). They are packed in the Original box with all the papers.

If your Interested let me know.

The O
Old 22nd March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by the a-b theory View Post
Looking for a decent pair of monitors for $500 or less for my home studio. It's a fairly small room size (14ft ft 11ft), so I don't need anything ridiculously loud.

And, yes, I know that if I just had only x more dollars I could get these way better and more amazing monitors, but I don't- so please don't recommend anything more expensive than $500! Thanks.
Yamaha HS50's

I believe sweetwater has them for $200 each shipped.

Also, ZZounds also offers 4 month financing for orders over $300.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
Did you get a chance to compare with the Behringer Truth B3031A? I ask cause they seem to be in direct competition with each other...

BEHRINGER: B3031A

Personally, I'm more interested in the smaller B3030A that comes with a 6" 3/4 woofer. I feel an 8" woofer is too big for close monitoring. And i fear the ribbon 5 wont relieved enough bass with that 5" woofer. I'd get Prodipe if they had one with a 6" woofer. Sounds like a good deal according to that review.

BEHRINGER: B3030A

Hi,

I haven't compared them. I bought the Prodipes because someone I know, who works in a shop that sells highend gear, told me to get these and there would be absolutely nothing better in that price range.

I have them since about a month and very, very happy. My mixes improved alot. No hyped sound (bass or highs) which I appreciate alot.

It's a pitty they don't get more attention. Seems people always just go with the most commercial products (like with everything) such as KRK, Yamaha, ADAMS etc. (They would get more looks if the price was doubled - As so often: more expensive HAS to be better a lá WAVES plugins...LOL)

I highly recommend to check these speakers!
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Hi,

I haven't compared them. I bought the Prodipes because someone I know, who works in a shop that sells highend gear, told me to get these and there would be absolutely nothing better in that price range.

I have them since about a month and very, very happy. My mixes improved alot. No hyped sound (bass or highs) which I appreciate alot.

It's a pitty they don't get more attention. Seems people always just go with the most commercial products (like with everything) such as KRK, Yamaha, ADAMS etc. (They would get more looks if the price was doubled - As so often: more expensive HAS to be better a lá WAVES plugins...LOL)

I highly recommend to check these speakers!
I'll see if i can try them here in Canada.

Cheers.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
I'll see if i can try them here in Canada.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search