The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good interface A/D without Preamps? What? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th March 2010
Gear Nut

Good interface A/D without Preamps? What?

If I'm satisfied with my board preamps, or plan to invest in more outboard preamps, what would be a good interface for my DAT that doesn't have Preamps? Either Firewire or PCI would work. I'd like to be able to record four channels at once and have a couple of channels coming out of the DAW for headphone mixes at times..

I'd like a firewire interface clean enough to not damage input from a Rane MS1B, or similar preamps. Not great, but a decent, middle of the road way to get sounds in and out.

Thanks!

Last edited by Saddle; 20th March 2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling...
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

echo?
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle View Post
If I'm satisfied with my board preamps, or plan to invest in more outboard preamps, what would be a good interface for my DAT that doesn't have Preamps? Either Firewire or PCI would work. I'd like to be able to record four channels at once and have a couple of channels coming out of the DAW for headphone mixes at times..

I'd like a firewire interface clean enough to not damage input from a Rane MS1B, or similar preamps. Not great, but a decent, middle of the road way to get sounds in and out.

Thanks!
steinberg mr816
Old 20th March 2010
Lives for gear

Echo Audiofire line. They come in 2, 4, 8 and 12 channel flavor, all inputs and outputs. There's 2 pres on there but they actually bypass the preamp if you plug a TRS cable in so you got all you need and no nonsense features. The conversion quality is excellent, both ways.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darm View Post
echo?
Yep AF4.heh

Converters are the same chip RME uses...a lot less expensive.

I also use the same Rane. No issues with a TRS connecting cable.
Old 21st March 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsfrommars View Post
Yep AF4.heh

Converters are the same chip RME uses...a lot less expensive.

I also use the same Rane. No issues with a TRS connecting cable.
That's good to know. The RME reviews seem to claim it has a nice sound.

Right now, my outboard gear is going through a Presonus Inspire for the converters to get in and out of my DAW. And although it isn't bad, I just wonder what I'm missing. Not just tracking, but mixing as well.

It's insane all the directions you can go now days. And no place to rent stuff like this to do a 'hands on' comparison. I have to rely on folks like you giving input to make my decisions.

Thanks!
Old 22nd March 2010
Gear Head

Echo AudioFire12. 12 TRS balanced ins, 12 TRS balanced outs, very good AD/DA converter, no Pres and stable drivers. IMO they are a great value.
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

...Echo...cho...cho...cho...
Old 22nd March 2010
I have an Echo Audiofire 8. The AD/DA is excellent.
Old 24th March 2010
Here for the gear

If you are in Europe try SWISSONIC EASY FIREWIRE from Thomann. 2 IN / 2 OUT 1/8 jack. 24 Bit up to 96K sample rate. It is a copy of the PHONIC FIREFLY and it is made in the USA. California. It is only 27 euros and for that bargain price you can get two of them and have four channels in/out at the same time. It is build in a sturdy metal case, very low latency with both own driver and/or asio4all. Very good sound quality
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

big fan of my motu ultralite mk3.... oodles of ins and outs, and the price is terrific. no big complaints on conversion either. drivers rock solid on my macbook.
Old 26th March 2010
Gear Nut

Thank you for all of your input. I've decided to go with the Echo AudioFire 8. The new one with ADAT, and the newer converters. It's more than I budgeted for, but in the long run, will do more for me.

Sure are a lot of choices aren't there!!

Thanks again,
Saddle
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

Swissonic or RME We use both
Old 26th March 2010
Deleted User
Echo Audiofire series. The 12 does not have preamps, only converters.

If you only need the ADDA those are excellent, unless you want to go to the bigger names like apogee. But this is the low end theory so go for echo.

Check this thread
Interesting Converter Comparisons ... - Home Recording

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search