The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MJ OktavaMod vs JJ Audio Mod - MK-319??
Old 12th March 2010
MJ OktavaMod vs JJ Audio Mod - MK-319??

Hi,

How does both of these mods for the Oktava MK-319 compare?

Which has the best performance?
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

I don't believe any of my 3500+ clients have a mod'd 319 from another vendor - so its unlikely you'll get a user response to your question.
But I can speak to one major difference - the number of satisfied clients who have praised their OktavaMod mics.
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Stop right there! Trying to start a fight is a crime!

Better call for backup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Stop right there! Trying to start a fight is a crime!

Better call for backup...
lol. i just made popcorn. just waiting for the show to start.

seriously though, to the OP, I think anyone who does respond to this has either Brand X or Brand Y, and they're probably going to love what they have and vouch for it. It's better to just check out the various modders for yourself, maybe send them an email if you have any questions, and then go with your gut on who you might like to give the job to. I have yet to read about any bad mods being done by the most frequently mentioned here on Gearslutz. Whichever way you go it's pretty safe to say you're in good hands.
Old 12th March 2010
JDM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

I am willing to bet that the JJ's are excellent mods.

The only thing that I can say is that I have gotten my Apex 205 mod'd and my v69 mod'd by Michael and they simply blew me away. So much so in fact that I have since put an order in to him for five more mods (finishing out the mics in my mic collection that need mod'd) that will be done next month. Joly kicks a$%!
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear
Cool

Yea - you know what? modding a chinese mic results in a far superior mic. They've both created demonstrably excellent microphones through modding to the point of virtually creating new mics completely.

So it's clear that you will do well either way.

Obviously MJ has a lengthier established reputation, but JJ is doing great things too.

I personally have neither... yet... although have talked to both, am considering both, and believe there is room for more than one or two quality modders/designers.

Go with whichever suits your particular needs.

They both have great customer service records and I can vouch for MJ that he does the distance in trying to accommodate his prospective customers and also now JJ is going really far with me (as far as a mic modder can go without giving away mics for free) to ensure I can try one of their mics.

I have though, first and foremost, the greatest respect for MJ and personally trust his honesty to the end of the earth. And I've never even been his customer - this is based on plenty of personal communication with him.

There have been other modders along the way that may have shown great promise but something has always gotten in the way. Both JJ and MJ are either proving to be or already have historically proven to be quality people with quality goods.
Old 12th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley View Post
Yea - you know what? modding a chinese mic results in a far superior mic.
Agreed. 100%. Except that we're talking RUSSIAN mics here. heh heh

I've had a 319 and 2 219's modded by MJ. Also 2 205's and a couple other mics - both for my private locker and some clients as well. ALWAYS the best of service and communication. Michael and Meryl make sure that the customer gets taken care of like royalty. You'll feel like part of the family after he mods your mics. He's truly passionate about what he does.

Chinese, Russian, German, US or Japanese - I think the future of high end mics for reasonable sums of $$ lies in the botique services that companies like these offer. Tweaking them for more performance than the OEM can deliver and tailoring them specifically for the end users needs.

You certainly can't go wrong with Michael - any mic he touches returns magnatudes better. And JJ seems to be an up and coming company as well - offering a multitude of options for their customers. What's not to like? Start modding those cheap mics!! heh

thumbsupthumbsup
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

I bet they'll both be different, excellent flavors and will serve purposes that the other doesn't.

Got one of Mike's 219's and it's superb for gurl vocals. Will DEFINITELY order more mods from him. And will probably pull the trigger on JJ at some point, as I need something different.
Old 12th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have both MJ-modded mics (MK-219) and JJ-modded mics (MK-319 and 012s). JJ's modded 319 is an outstanding vocal mic, as is MJ's modded 219.

Both Michael at Oktavamod and Jim at JJ Audio are a pleasure to deal with. I buy from both. The guys are naturally competitive about who gets their business, and that's great for users.

Steve
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have never heard any of Michaels mods, however, I am sure they sound very nice. He has developed his own "brew" of mechanical mods, capacatiors and resistors to produce a superior product. His record speaks for itself.

I have my own "brew" of mechanical mods, capacitors and resistors, that I have developed for the 319. The major difference between the MJ mod and my mod is I have a switch mod that retains both switches. I designed this mod from the ides and concepts developed by Marik. All of the sensitive high impedance wires around the Fet are removed and the 10Db pad is taken from the capsule voltage and the bass cut uses a small bypass capacitor added to the transformer coupling capacitor. The other main difference is I replace the grill with an attractive brass grill.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
I don't believe any of my 3500+ clients have a mod'd 319 from another vendor - so its unlikely you'll get a user response to your question.
And likewise, JJ's clients are probably not looking for another vendor. I have a few JJ's of my own, including a brand new Oktava and MXL mod. The Oktava is damn good, and the MXL is jaw to the floor.
Old 13th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
The major difference between the MJ mod and my mod is I have a switch mod that retains both switches.
Oh does the MJ mod mean you lose the switches?
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

In the Oktava 319, there are many long wires that go from the capsule to the gate of the Fet. The best path to the Fet are short wires that will keep the noise down and reduce any extra capacitance added by the long wires. Removing these wires improves the clairity of this mic. The 219 does not have these issues.

Yes Michael disables the switches. At first I did also and got great results, however, the mod that I do increases the overall output gain by 6 to 8db. This means you can run your preamp at a lower volume and reduce the noise from the preamp. That also means that on louder instruments, a pad may be needed.
Old 13th March 2010
Thanks for the reply Jim. Do you have any audio clips of your modded MK-319?
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Steve was kind enough to post a clip here. Go to post #17 very nice vocal clip. This mic was pre-switch mod.

Thanks Steve!!
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
But I can speak to one major difference - the number of satisfied clients who have praised their OktavaMod mics.
Wow.

Just Wow.

It's wonderful that you have such a successful business.

It's wonderful that, again, you're letting us know you have a business, and how many of your loyal customers you have served.

It's also wonderfully lacking, in an appropriate and modest response.

Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

When the original poster asks a direct question about how the mods compare it is appropriate to offer a direct and factual response. Similar to your pal in his post.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Pretty defensive and uptight response, for being such a 'big dog' in this industry. I was under the mistaken impression, humble, warm, and cordial, was more customer oriented. Silly me, my friend or not.

Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

I guess this must a case of me not expressing myself clearly enough. Because I am feeling quite relaxed and far from defensive or uptight. I guess I haven't expressed this clearly enough yet...

...I think its a wonderful development that JJ Audio has recently arrived on the scene. This is further validation of the concept of upgrading low cost mics through modification. When this concept was new I had to put a lot of work into explaining the goal and validating results.

So the more voices there are telling the story that low cost mics can be vastly improved with a modest investment the better it is for all after-market, mic mod service providers. It grows the market in other words.

In addition, there are some pretty clear differentiations between us - there's no need for, nor am I being uptight and defensive. Here's how I see the difference...

...I offer "A Sound". A Sound refined through working on mics for over 17 years - beginning in 1993 with my time as an engineer protege of David Blackmer, founder of Earthworks Microphones and dbx Inc. I mention this fact because folks always ask how I got into doing what I do. Dr Bill Pearson has called my sound the "Joly Factor" - regardless of the mic, I deliver a midrange-focused, "Neumann-esque" sound - but one that has a more usable proximity effect, very detailed resolution, fast transient response and a top end with negligible sibilance.

JJ Audio can describe what they do better than I, but my understanding is that they offer a very broad sound palette, many different mod models to choose from and provide a lot of user options and user choice.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Nut

What a shame we don't have anyone in the UK doing these mods.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spons View Post
What a shame we don't have anyone in the UK doing these mods.
For five years I've accepted stock mics and returned modified mics to the UK, Scandinavia, all over the EU, Australia, Japan, S. Korea, Indonesia, Central and South America, Israel, India - you name it.

In fact, I'm getting ready to offer a "Free Return Shipping" promotion for international orders (just email me until I formally announce this). I use US Postal Service International Express (about 5 business days anywhere in the world). So when OktavaMod picks up the cost of the international return shipping the international client pays the same total amount for a modification that my US customers pay (US customers will continue to pay shipping both ways).

With fast and economical international shipping, easy and prompt communications, folks around the world can get the OktavaMod experience - as if we were nearby neighbors.

Btw - international customs offices do not charge "new good" import duties on your own mic sent to me for "service" and returned to you. In fact, most customs offices do not charge a "VAT" - value added tax on the modification either - but check with your local customs office.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Mr Joly:

Your writing leaves a great deal in the wind. Neither of you guys has tried or heard the others guys' product.

It always sounds like the simple fact that there is someone else who mods mics bothers you, by the grammar and tone of your posts (I am not certain memory serves, but I believe I once said something before). I understand that at times, style and grammar fail to serve intent of speech, or inflection, in posts written on the internet.

Your tone fails to be collegial. It sounds adversarial, competitive, and catty, for the most part.

The differences are there, whether either of you want them or not.

Trying to do a comparative, without trying each others product, is useless to the members who would be potential clients and consumers. I have said this to Haz-Mat-Strat. I am now saying this to you. By virtue of these threads being dignified with responses, without the necessary and obvious clips, both of you are muddying the proverbial water.

'Regardless of the mic, I am driven to deliver a midrange-focused, "Neumann-esque" sound but one that has a more usable proximity effect, very detailed resolution, fast transient response and a top end with negligible sibilance.'

Before the first set of adjectives and adverbs, you say 'regardless of the mic', then you use a Neumann mic as an objective comparison. More useable than what ? Detailed resolution over what ? More useable proximity effect over what ? Fast transient response and a top end with negligible sibilance over what ?

Your comparisons/modifiers are NOT comparable to JJA. You have never heard them. You are not at all clear. You do not use precise objective information (which, btw, most engineers use), to convey thought or process. I hear partial descriptives lacking detail, sense, or process. So much for a comparison.

You're using hyperbole, sir. Not clear.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Perhaps we both have work to do - I need consider more carefully the tone of my written words, and perhaps you could consider hearing my written words differently. This way we can avoid the usual Gearslutz roundabout of post and counter-post.

Bottom line - I welcome JJ Audio's debut because it grows the market and wish them well.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Perhaps we both have work to do - I need consider more carefully the tone of my written words, and perhaps you could consider hearing my written words differently. This way we can avoid the uual Gearslutz roundabout of post and counter-post.
I considered what I wrote, very carefully, prior to writing it. I would appreciate, a significant improvement of the accuracy of your literary process, less hyperbole, descriptives used in a fluent, objective manner, with a focus on your product, not your process. It will enable consumer-engineers, to make a better informed choice, when attempting to purchase a microphone or modification. I can only read what you write. 'Post and counter post' is the way it works.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

I have heard a bunch of different microphones from each side and I have to say they are very different.

JJ Mods have a lot of mics that are very-very-very different from each other, Michael's are much closer to his own signature sound.

Both are very excellent mic technicians (or should I say all three including Illacov working with JJ).

Everyone offers their own incentive such as custom paint job (JJ mics) and free installation/FET replacement included in the price of the capsule price. (Michael Joly)

JJ also sells modded Apex 460 and Michael sells Oktava's, but each side mods pretty much anything you can think of.

I wouldn't mind ordering from either side honestly as long as the sound matches what I need, because it's not really a person preference for me, but the work they do, and whether it matches what I like or try to achieve.

So no need to fight, rather take the high road and let your work speak for itself.

Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear
Who,s got the best Packaging?........seriously.
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Who,s got the best Packaging?........seriously.

Marge Simpson.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear
heh
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

At the prompting of guitarsfrommars I've taken another stab at my "identity statement"...

I offer a unified "signature sound" people can rely on to be consistent. Refined through 17 years of microphone engineering, it is midrange-focused - "Neumann-esque". It features a usable (not excessive) proximity effect; a very detailed, low phase shift, low coloration midrange; a fast transient response and a natural top end with low sibilance - all achieved through a combination of low parts count "minimalist" circuit topology, highest quality parts and close attention to acoustical and mechanical refinement.

Clarity, detail and punch without excessive brightness in other words.
Old 13th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsfrommars View Post
Marge Simpson.
Dude, ease up a bit on MJ. It is obvious you are decidedly for a diferent vendor. It doesn't mean you have to scrutinize EVERY word he says, make accuations and tell him how to speak of his business.

For pete's sake.
📝 Reply