The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MJ OktavaMod vs JJ Audio Mod - MK-319??
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

The question not addressed in this thread: which one of these guys will answer my email first?
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wefandango View Post
The question not addressed in this thread: which one of these guys will answer my email first?
Michael won't answer emails for a few days. He's taken a plane to LA for a shootout.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Nut

I emailed JJ earlier today, slightly after nooner or so, EST, and I heard back from them both in the same day, though I emailed Mike later on... I can't really judge anybody's quality of product based on response times, though. Still haven't decided what I'll do, although it is clear that it will get done sooner if I go the JJ route at this point, and to be honest I was planning on doing that anyway because of the price. Maybe I'll get my other 219 modded through the other guy and make a thread about it, who knows.
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
Michael won't answer emails for a few days. He's taken a plane to LA for a shootout.
Aim well, Michael.
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Aim well, Michael.
He'll do his best, I'm sure, but it's a tricky shot, since you're in another State on the opposite coast.
Old 6th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
He'll do his best, I'm sure, but it's a tricky shot, since you're in another State on the opposite coast.
He does not shrink from this challenge... he welcomes it!
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

That shot will be somewhat easier - I'm back home in Massachusetts. Caught an intestinal virus before leaving, got sick upon take off (I mean, "hello Ralph" in the lavatory type sick), more of the same in Dallas, spent the night sick in Dallas and returned today.

Dr Bill Pearson and the talent will be soldiering on at his place, Capitol and James Lugo's. Rob Schnapf is also in Hollywood this week and he'll be taking delivery of my MJE-K47H "Stereo Kit" after Bill is finished with it at Capitol.

Btw Sinocelt - a major voice actor just did a shootout with the mod'd NT1a and will be posting a review with audio at his site in the next couple of weeks.
Old 7th April 2010
*dons his flak jacket, just in case*
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax View Post
i get my JJ Audio 319 Mod week ago (secondhand).
it sounds nice. not so MUCH WAY Better than original 319, but more flat.
also modded 319 has more highs and lows. original 319 has it's BOX effect.

but i get annoying 50 Hz hum in modded 319 in comparison with the original.
also "-10dB pad" swith was mixed up
i send a mail to JJ and receive an answer "send it to me".
i am very far from USA (100$ for UPS + month of waiting)
i was try to contact JJ again 3 times with no luck :(

so, i go to my audio engineer and give him the JJ modded 319.
i was very dissapointed when he opens it - very bad soldering (like 12 year boy). the cause of 50 Hz hum was JJ's unproper grounding and new brass grill.
my audio engineer was try to change the brass grill to original 319 and hum is disapeared. then he change the scheme grounding so i get rid of those 50 Hz hum.

i am very sad of JJ support and looking for new Joly's MJE-45 mic.
hope it will rock solid and good sounding.
I'm just going to jump in here and point out that you bought a second hand/used item (mk 319 mod by JJ Audio Mics) from a seller on the internet. In other words, someone bought the mic from us and then what happened next nobody knows and then it surfaces on ebay or somewhere else and its still being touted as our work.

But if you didn't buy directly from us or an official retailer, we have no clue about the history of the unit. You even see this happen with vintage microphones btw!

Despite us not knowing what happened to the microphone, like how the switches got installed upside down or "reversed?" (possible tampering or someone trying to reverse engineer? no clue what really happened) etc... we did try to take ownership by asking you to return it so we could evaluate and repair it.

Regarding our soldering quality, we live in ROHS times, the lead free solder looks awful to my eyes, despite things being done properly by the technician.

I am truly sorry you live in a location, where its cost prohibitive to return the mic to us, however according to our records you are not telling the whole story about how you originally interacted with and approached my company with your original intentions.

I have no problem with your endorsement of Michael's fine products, however slamming my company while doing so under the guise of playing innocent is outright unfair.

Especially considering we received every email you sent to us including your original business proposal to us, which we did not consider as viable. I don't know how much this has a hand in your opinion of us, but we did indeed respond to you by asking that you return the mic to us so that we can assess it. I am however pleased that you were able to get the mic to function, despite whatever happened to it before you got it into your hands. Kudos to your tech and their efforts.

If you or anyone else have issues reaching Jim, you can ALWAYS reach me at

[email protected]

I am not going to disclose any further private details in a public forum about this so please do not ask me to go further, I simply wish to demonstrate the company's take on the circumstances behind this testimonial. Even if andivax has said what he said, it is not in mine or Jim's interests to flame him. But I spoke up simply to address his claims about our customer service quality and efforts.

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th May 2011
Here for the gear

JJ vs. MJ 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludge View Post
Just to show up with some gasoline...

I have an Oktavamod 219 that is the #1 vocal mic in my crappy little home studio and undoubtedly the best mic I own. I have an unmodded 219, which is a pleasant enough LDC in a pinch, but the Oktavamod is GORGEOUS.

So I'm sending my unmodded 219 to JJ for an alternative. Maybe I can post some A/B comparisons when it's done. What would people like to hear? I find the mic is best on female vocals, but works well on acoustic guitars and room mic for drum kits. I can track any/all of those with the mics side by side.
I wonder if you've ever had a chance to get your other 219 modded by JJ and compare them side by side ?
Any info on that would be much appreciated!
Old 18th May 2011
Gear Maniac

It's funny how some like to try to pit modders against each other. From what I see, there's more demand than any of these guys keep up with. I ordered a transformer from Dave Thomas and he sent me a full schematic and instructions for the mod. I ordered a capsule from him last week and he e-mailed back saying that there will be a delay because he is expanding his shop to keep up with everything. I scheduled a V67g mod will MJ two weeks ago and due to his current work load, I got a mod date scheduled for June 23! I haven't gotten anything from JJ Audio yet, but judging from the samples I've heard of the "Dutch" (let alone his other mics), I'm sure he's in the same boat.

I agree that each of them have their own flavours of mods that we can all choose from. It's fantastic. MJ has been pushing his new '47 stuff, which isn't my cup of tea, but that's not all he does. I mean, look at his company name "Oktavamod". By that name, one could assume all he does is mod Oktavas...

All the modders I've looked at have more than one type of sound for their product line/services.

So can we wrap this up so these modders can get back to work (and hopefully Michael can focus on shaving a couple days off my wait time)? LOL
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Nut

Now that is funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
Just a couple of minor points -

The earliest published notes for an Oktava modification were posted by Lulu the Space Cat and her owner. This preceded the Scott Dorsey articles.
The man behind Lulu the Space Cat is my oldest friend. His motivation was/is curiosity.

We are old school punk rockers from 1977 or so - reinvention comes naturally.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever seen, I was there when Lulu went down. A VERY serious cat with a sense of the absurd.

May we all be in good spirit now that the world hasn't ended for the umpteenth time.

AS
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac
please cool out, guys

reading these posts, i noticed that both "competitors" were civil, and modest enough (it's not over-the-top bragging, but normal, to think well of one's work). but other posters seem eager to stir up a fight where there is none, to make assumptions about mj's or jj's "attitude" that, to me, project issues of the writer, not the good guys who do the mods. i'm a happy mj customer, delighted with how he turned my nady 1050 into a u47-sounding wonder. but there's no reason to provoke him or anyone by using loaded words like defensive: it's almost impossible to defend yourself against a charge of being defensive. in another world, i post political opinions on a public affairs website, and welcome dialog, but it's SO annoying how "gotcha" types intrude with unreasonable attacks. please be nice, and thankful a couple of smart, capable guys are available to upgrade your mics.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Nut

Was there ever a side by side comparison made?
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesize View Post
but other posters seem eager to stir up a fight where there is none, to make assumptions about mj's or jj's "attitude" that, to me, project issues of the writer,.
That is an assumption in itself.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I've owned the JJ, the Joly and the Sitler mods. They're all worldclass sounding mods, and the differences, to my ears, are extremely subtle.

Pound for pound, I think Bill Sitler has the best price going for his mods (nearly half the price as the other two). Terrific service as well.
📝 Reply