The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can't use the Brick with condensor mics?..Bummer
Old 28th October 2005
Lives for gear

The Brick with condensor mics?

It is excellent as an Instrument DI but I can't use any of my condenser mics with it...even using a -10 db pad.

The XLR inputs are +25 and there is no pad on the unit...I am clipping the A/D of anything I send out of it....

It is a badass little DI..Wish I could hear a few mics with it...
Any cheap mic pads available and recommended?

Gracias!!
Old 28th October 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmm...I've never had that problem. What are you miking? Drums? Anyway, Whirlwind makes inexpensive inline pads from 10-40dB. I've not used them, but I've heard they work fine.

Edit: Shure also makes inline pads with switchable attenuation.
Old 28th October 2005
mds
Lives for gear

I haven't had this problem, either. You must be recording some pretty loud stuff pretty close. I've done guitar cabs and vocals without any problems at alol. I haven't tried it on kick or snare, though.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 28th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
I haven't had this problem, either. You must be recording some pretty loud stuff pretty close. I've done guitar cabs and vocals without any problems at alol. I haven't tried it on kick or snare, though.

Good luck!

Mike

Not in the least...Basic vocals.

The XLR inputs on the Brick start at +25 DB...and I am using the XLR outputs as well.
Old 29th October 2005
mds
Lives for gear

You must be using a pretty hot mic compared to what I've used. If I totally eat the mic(lips against the grill) and sing really strong plosives can hit it pretty hard, but I can't overdrive it with the pad on the mic on. A couple inches off with a pop filter and it is fine. Your mic probably matches the impedance of the preamp better so your getting more signal in than I am...I'm sure any reputable pad would work for you...I see the shure one get plugged a lot around here...you might ask GT what they have to say about it...

Mike
Old 29th October 2005
Gear Nut

What mic and what converters? I really don't think it's the Brick.
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear
Do the sound card ( converter ) have a +4/ -10 switch on it?
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman
Do the sound card ( converter ) have a +4/ -10 switch on it?
Yes bro it does...been down that path also.
Still clipping the converters (or coming really close)

RME Fire Face 800

Mics that clip with the Brick (which I would like to use with it)...MXL V69 Tube...RODE NTK Tube... CAD E300 Multi Pattern (and a few others with -10 pads built in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Polotso
What mic and what converters? I really don't think it's the Brick.
Why wouldn't it be the Brick? What is your theory. it may help.

I am not clipping with any other pre... same mics, same setup etc....ain't like anything odd is happening in the chain.

I simply plugged into the Brick...have the gain set on on zero...and wham still too much output...not exactly too much to question about...

I'll give GT a call on Monday...they are always great.
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Ironically, the Brick for me was so LOW output that on a dynamic like a 57, I couldn't clip the converters with everything cranked.

I found the unit thick and muddy, too.

I have a LA610...I'm familiar with touchy first gain stages... ...I certainly didn't get that with the Brick.

I did think it served better as bass DI than mic pre, though.
Old 29th October 2005
mds
Lives for gear

I've had really good success with The Brick as a mic pre, even with a 57 on a guitar cab. I've had great results on vocals and guitar cabs in particular. Try other mics if the 57 ain't doin' it for you. I was able to get a stellar jazz sound with an SDC on a cab through the Brick...

The pre is a very smoothing pre, so on some sources it can get a little too mushy, but it is great on many sources. In my experience it fattens up the low end and smooths out the top end, so only use it on sources where you need some more oomph and creamier highs.

Mike
Old 29th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann
Ironically, the Brick for me was so LOW output that on a dynamic like a 57, I couldn't clip the converters with everything cranked.
...Maybe we both have defective ( inconsistent) units. That would make sense.
Old 30th October 2005
Here for the gear

That's really strange. It's not a very high gain preamp at all...max at +55.

I like the sound of it on some things, but I usually have to use my Sytek with ribbons and dynamics because of insufficient gain (and I don't record hot at all).

Even with a 4033, a mic with a decent output, I have it cranked about 3/4 or more for vocals and acoustic guitar. With a 414 on a guitar cab, it is easily 1/2 way.

Nowhere near to clipping my a/d and giving me record levels of -18 to -12 or so...

Sounds like something is up with your unit.

Frank

btw...hella good bass and synth di
Old 30th October 2005
mds
Lives for gear

My experience is much more like Frank's. On many sources I have the gain at 3 o'clock, though there is a ton of gain in that last 1/4 turn. Kinda tricky to set sometimes, but too much gain hasn't been a problem...
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

are you using a transformer between the brick and your converters? if so try removing that in place or a straight balanced cable...?
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitme
are you using a transformer between the brick and your converters? if so try removing that in place or a straight balanced cable...?
Right, what cable, and also, what input on the fireface are you using? Although I'm not familiar with that unit, f you're going into one of the XLR inputs, it looks like you're getting another +13dBu at +4. Just a thought.
Old 3rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs
Right, what cable, and also, what input on the fireface are you using? Although I'm not familiar with that unit, f you're going into one of the XLR inputs, it looks like you're getting another +13dBu at +4. Just a thought.
Just Brick to Fireface... input makes no matter...it's clips on either...

Honestly...This is a simple gig...mic to pre to converters...pretty quick to troubleshoot. The Brick I had was a defective unit, I returned it.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search