The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help with bathroom echo chamber
Old 15th February 2010
Here for the gear

Help with bathroom echo chamber

Hi, all! So I'm using my emptied-out bathroom as an echo chamber, and it sounds great. I just can't figure out how to wire everything up. I'm using a Tascam Portastudio 424 MKII as a mixer/recorder, and I have another mixer available (albiet a really awful sounding one). Is it possible to use the Portastudio for both mics (the mic outside of the chamber and the one in it) without getting feedback? I need to shut off the chamber mic from the monitor mix, and then I think it should work, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I know I might be missing something really obvious. Thanks for your help!
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink N. Face View Post
Hi, all! So I'm using my emptied-out bathroom as an echo chamber, and it sounds great. I just can't figure out how to wire everything up. I'm using a Tascam Portastudio 424 MKII as a mixer/recorder, and I have another mixer available (albiet a really awful sounding one). Is it possible to use the Portastudio for both mics (the mic outside of the chamber and the one in it) without getting feedback? I need to shut off the chamber mic from the monitor mix, and then I think it should work, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I know I might be missing something really obvious. Thanks for your help!
It doesn't matter how many mics you have set up as long as they aren't picking up what is coming through the monitor speakers, so when you're recording, use headphones to monitor. That way you won't get any feedback.

So, yeah, of course you can use the Tascam for both microphones. I haven't seen one in years- but it seems to be a four input machine, so you have four total inputs at any given time. Keep the Tascam out of the bathroom, and have somebody hit record, or do it yourself and run into the bathroom.

Is this the cassette model?
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'm confused. Why do you need two mics? Usually while mixing you send the sound from an aux send into a speaker inside the chamber, and then a mic at the other end of the chamber picks up the reflected sound which comes back into the aux return. Or are you trying to get the reverb onto tape as you record?
Old 15th February 2010
Here for the gear

Yep, it's the cassette model. I think we're misunderstanding each other. I'm trying to set up an echo chamber, so I need to have speakers in the bathroom with the chamber microphone. Or do I not understand how echo chambers work? I'm trying to do it all at once, instead of recording the dry signal and then rerecording the echo. Can I not do it that way?
Old 15th February 2010
Here for the gear

I didn't see your post until after I had written mine, vincentvangogo. Yes, I'm trying to get the reverb to tape as I record. I like to hear the signal with reverb as I record.
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

The standard way is to have it set up while you mix and then you can decide how much reverb the vocal needs when you have the whole track done (you can also add it to other instruments.) If you just want to commit there and then, I'm not sure what you'd do other than to sing with headphones and maybe open the door a bit if it sounds too reverby. Also try not to let the shower head drip into the mic.
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

I now think I know what you are after- in which case you'd probably want to follow the set-up I mentioned earlier with the speaker, mic and aux send/ return, but you have this going while you sing in another room and print the effect as you record (not sure how this is done with that machine, but its probably quite easy.) Again the standard method would be to have it in your headphones as you sang, but not actually print the effect until you mix (you'd have to set-it up again) as this would give you more control- but I suppose it's not essential.
Old 15th February 2010
Here for the gear

Thank you! That should work great. I'll give it a try!
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

My pleasure. You will probably need to amplify the sound that goes to the speaker btw, some kind of home stereo amp should do, maybe even a guitar amp.
Old 15th February 2010
Lives for gear

Use your neighbors bathroom? ( they could sing for you when there )

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search