The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal clips of SM7B
Old 8th February 2010
Vocal clips of SM7B

Anyone have unprocessed Male vox on an SM7B?

Don't mean to ask for so much but...

If you could use each swich position...I wanna hear what I might be purchasing.

I'm an r&b singer so if you have r&b clips, that would help.heck out my myspace page Nathan Alexander NEW ALBUM WILL NOT HAVE AUTOTUNE! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos and listen to the 'TRICKS' track...That should give you an idea of why/what I'm looking for in a mic. Thanks...
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

i have some clips with my father in law doing some old jackson brown with an SM7B through a CL 7602 into a toft atc-2 for light compression on the way in. track is raw with no additional processing.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

btw, the track was recorded with the mic in the flat position. pm me your email and i can send you the clip.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

hey, just listened to a few of your tunes. i think you definitely should get a sm7b. your voice sounds really nice, but the essy-ness of the vocal tracks need de-essing in my opinion. you would do less of this with the SM7B. what was the vocal chain used to track the majority of these songs? sounds like a rode mic of some type if i had to venture a guess.
Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

I don't want to be a negative nay sayer but... well, IMHO listening to someone else's voice recorded in some other acoustic space thru some other other pre-amp isn't going to tell you much about how you might sound through that mic in your space with your other gear.

I totally understand the desire to make informed decisions about getting new gear but the only real way you'll learn anything of value about a mic is to try it out yourself. The SM7b gets a lot of great reviews but some people have also posted clips of how on some sources it sounds pretty much like an SM57. Since you're a singer I assume the important question is "how does it sound on *your* voice?". If you order it from Sweetwater you can have in days and if you don't like it you can send it back. You would gain first hand knowledge at the cost of nothing more than the shipping charge.

Again, I'm not trying to put you down for asking, just hoping to empower you to take the plunge and find out for yourself. It really is the only way.

Old 8th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'll post something today.
Old 8th February 2010
I do understand about trying before buying and I will this time, trust me. I just know my voice has the same range and tone as some other singers that have used the SM7B and some other vocal mics. I think I would have the same kind of luck using those mics is all. But ultimately, I won't know until I try them. That being said...

I recorded the 'Tricks' track at my friends studio...used a cheap condenser...It's beat to death. The pre is a Presonus Eureka into a digi 02 into protools. I didn't use my own mic, at the time my only mic was an Apex 435 condenser, and didn't think it would make that much of a difference if I used it or his mic.

My own gear is listed in my signature. Still trying to get my main vocal mic, which is why I'm posting so much on here lately. I have an Oktava ML-19 ribbon mic but I have yet to really spend time with it.

Mr. Joly with Oktava Mod has said nothing but good things about this mic for vocals, and I know he knows his *hit so. I just want to have my other mic choices narrowed down incase the ML-19 doesn't work out.

The 'How you ballin track' I recorded on my gear. I didn't have the Joe Meeks then. Instead I had an Alto Voice Plus processor with my Apex 435.

'I just can't keep 'em off me' was recorded at my original studio in VA Beach, using a Blue Mic Bluebird, Presonus Eureka, digi 03 into Protools.

'Groove Mami' was done in VA Beach as well.

I understand about what you mean about each singer has a different tone and sound, but its been my experience, that most singers in the same vocal range have similar results using the same mic that sounds good for one of them.

Other mics I'm looking at are the Baby Bottle, SM7B, 414B (saw one on ebay for around 400-500$) and the MXL V69XM.

Thanks for the replies and the posts. Much appreciated...
Old 9th February 2010
It could be the quality of the mp3 upload. I know that's true with the How U Ballin track. It's almost like a heavy pump compressor is on it...but yeah, the quality of the mic is questionable on a few of those tracks...
Old 9th February 2010
Gear Maniac

I did a little shoot-out between the SM7B and the SM58. You can check out the files here:

Shure SM7B vs SM58 | Home Studio Corner

Hope this helps.
Old 10th February 2010
Wow, two great sounding mics...it was hard for me but I do like the sm7b clip SLIGHTLY better. Thanks for posting...Anybody have any OKTAVA ML-19 vocal clips...I am waiting on mine to get repaired so I can get to know it.
Old 2nd August 2020
Gear Nut
SM7B - Vocal clips (singing, tenor)

Reviving this thread (as I was going to start one similar!)

I done this earlier, although a pro singer would do it more justice lol! The mixed track is fairly processed but all plugins were run on the raw take you hear.

Preamp used was the Studio Projects VTB1, an SE DM1 was used as an inline booster also. A/D was handled by the M-Audio Profire 2626.

Btw the SM7B was run flat (no HPF, no presence boost), positioned straight-on.
Attached Files

Boys Of Summer (mixed, MP3).mp3 (1.09 MB, 119 views)

Boys Of Summer (raw vocal, MP3).mp3 (850.0 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by Denta; 2nd August 2020 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 4th August 2020
Lives for gear

Right kind of voice for "Renegade"/Styx too.
Chris
๐Ÿ“ Reply