The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II on vocals???
Old 26th January 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II on vocals???

Whats up fellas Im looking into buying my first pre amp. I was looking at the Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II to use mostly on vocals. My current setup is Pro Tools 7.3 Maudio projectmix, Sterling Audio ST77/SE Reflection filter and Yamahas Hs80. I will be recording mostly hip hop and rnb and some intruments. I record in my room with no vocal booth since I dont have the space at the moment. The reason I ask for your thoughts on the LA 610MkII is because the wifey ordered it for me and I just want to know how much of and updrade it is from the pre amps that come with the PJMix and if I will notice a big difference Thanks
Old 26th January 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster360 View Post
Whats up fellas Im looking into buying my first pre amp. I was looking at the Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II to use mostly on vocals. My current setup is Pro Tools 7.3 Maudio projectmix, Sterling Audio ST77/SE Reflection filter and Yamahas Hs80. I will be recording mostly hip hop and rnb and some intruments. I record in my room with no vocal booth since I dont have the space at the moment. The reason I ask for your thoughts on the LA 610MkII is because the wifey ordered it for me and I just want to know how much of and updrade it is from the pre amps that come with the PJMix and if I will notice a big difference Thanks
I used an LA610 2 nights ago with an SM7b. It was very nice.

If you're recording vocals in an untreated room, go with a dynamic mic IMO.
Old 26th January 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

The 610 for me was a preamp which i needed time to really appreciate it. I remember the first time i heard it i wasnt impressed, however by experimenting with it on several sources, playing with the impedance switch, the input gain, the eq, and the compressor, i really ended up loving it. This preamp has a lot of colors, the trick is to find the color that best suits what you are recording.

For me UA preamps, are probably some of the most collored pieces of equipment out there, they can become dirty sounding very very easily, the trick is to find the sweet spot between color and clarity. In my experience the 610 is not a preamp that sounds good instantly, you have to dial in, but after a while messing with it the results are great!

My favorite applications for the 610 are vocals, acoustic guitars and bass.... That impedance switch really lets you dial in the sound you are after...
Old 26th January 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEImatrix View Post
I used an LA610 2 nights ago with an SM7b. It was very nice.

If you're recording vocals in an untreated room, go with a dynamic mic IMO.
The specific flavor of UA 610s is something you'll understand more as you use it and acquire pre's of even different characters.

In specific regards to whether or not it's a significant upgrade from your ProjectMix's built in pre's - YES. Huge upgrade.

610 is a great pre.. T-4 optical compressor that is onboard is a LA2A style compressor that's super easy to dial in and great on vocals.

You've got a great girl! Enjoy your pre!
Old 26th January 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
chrisdee's Avatar
I can't speak for your setup or the LA610 MKII. I have the LA610. I'v heard it's supposed to sound the same as LA610 MKII, but I'm not shure.

I love my LA610. I'v only tested it against my SSL Alpha Channel, ISA428, ISA One and my Mbox2 Pro. I think it beats all of them

It certainly makes all my mics sound better and having the compressor option doesnt hurt.
Old 26th January 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I have a LA 610 as well as although I mostly use it on Drums and Guitars, I occasionally use it for vocalist that need a little bit of "grit". I love the way it can warm a voice up.
Old 26th January 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I can't speak for your setup or the LA610 MKII. I have the LA610. I'v heard it's supposed to sound the same as LA610 MKII, but I'm not shure.

I love my LA610. I'v only tested it against my SSL Alpha Channel, ISA428 and my Mbox2 Pro. I think it beats all of them

It certainly makes all my mics sound better.
Some of the differences i noticed between the 610 and the 610MK2 is that the 610 uses a different tube in the compressor, the 610 uses a GE 6005W and the 610 uses the 6AQ5 which is the equivalent to the 6005W however i guess the brand of the tube is different therefore the sound must vary a bit, the 6005W is harder to find so i guess thats a reason why UA turned into the 6AQ5. I dont know if both use the same tube brand in the preamp, but i guess they are the same thing..

On a side note, i had a broken 6005W tube in the 610 of the studio, i couldnt find the GE 6005W so i ended up buying a Sylvania 6005W, i loved it, cuz in my opinion it gives the compressor a little air in the top end that it didnt have before.
Old 26th January 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Mertmo's Avatar
 

I've been recording with an LA610 MKII lately, every overdub on a record actually...
And I've had an early M610 for years. I really love the LA MKII, it sounds fantastic to me.
Just leave the compressor engaged even when you're not using it too much. Huge
sounding like that! I don't ever dig in very far with the comp. Although it works
extremely well, the tone is just too wonderful when it's barely engaged. Shrinks up
a little too small for me when I really dig in with the comp, but it's a smooth comp!

But yeah... tons of sonic options. It can take a while to dial in, and even though I have
years of experience with this preamp I still don't always nail it. Very easy on the 610 to
think you have the greatest sound, then listen back the next day and realize you pushed
it into distortion when you didn't want to. But I still love it, it's a great sound when you
get it right.

Vocal chain for me on these recordings is Rode NT2000 into the LA610MKII : YUMMY
Old 26th January 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 
soulfield's Avatar
 

Wiating on my 451 to arrive. Ever pair the 610 up with the 451's for acoustic or overheads?
Old 26th January 2010
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Great to hear all the good feedback
Old 31st January 2010
  #11
Gear Addict
 
dave gross's Avatar
 

It took the LA-610 MK II for me to appreciate the Telefunken AK47 on vocals. Somehow that particular chain is a bit more nice sounding than even through my Pendulum Audio Quartet. Maybe not quite the detail, but in context in a mix a little friendlier.

I feel like I'm gonna take a lot of heat for this
Old 31st January 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
SynthLine09's Avatar
 

just curious....anyone use this preamp or the solo 610 for brass? Paired with a nice Ribbon or LDC. Trumpet speficially...
Old 31st January 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
dualflip's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthLine09 View Post
just curious....anyone use this preamp or the solo 610 for brass? Paired with a nice Ribbon or LDC. Trumpet speficially...
i had, actually not a trumpet, but trombone, coupled with a beyer M160 ribbon mic, worked great!
Old 31st January 2010
  #14
Gear Nut
 

i have the 6176 (610 + 1176) and the 610 can sound very nice for certain vocals but it does have a kinda vintage color to it that itsn't right for everyone. but it kills on bass!
Old 31st January 2010
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176n View Post
Wiating on my 451 to arrive. Ever pair the 610 up with the 451's for acoustic or overheads?
Yes for acoustic guitars and it sounds good. Nice contrast between the brightness of the 451 and the thickness of the 610.
Old 18th February 2010
  #16
Here for the gear
 

ok what do you guys think of the avalon 737 compared to the la610 mkII? Reason I ask is because alot of people I know are always on the avalon 737 balls like its godly I tell them im getting the la610 mkII and they are like oh spend the extra money and go with the 737. Is it that much of a difference between the 2 or is it because every "big studio" has it?
Old 18th February 2010
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster360 View Post
ok what do you guys think of the avalon 737 compared to the la610 mkII? Reason I ask is because alot of people I know are always on the avalon 737 balls like its godly I tell them im getting the la610 mkII and they are like oh spend the extra money and go with the 737. Is it that much of a difference between the 2 or is it because every "big studio" has it?
2 different sounds so it's hard to tell you which way to go. many studios may have the 737 but that doesn't mean they use it for everything. its popular with rap stuff and popular because it looks shiny IMO.
Old 18th February 2010
  #18
Here for the gear
 

yeah I will be mostly rap
Old 18th February 2010
  #19
Gear Nut
 

then it might be for you although i think you can do just fine with the LA-610 also. can you check out the 737 somehow?
Old 18th February 2010
  #20
Here for the gear
 

not really....if i can save $700 by buying the la610 mkII and get almost the same quality vocals that i would get with the 737 then i will get the la610 mkii.
Old 18th February 2010
  #21
Gear Addict
 
tysonviolin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1176n View Post
Wiating on my 451 to arrive. Ever pair the 610 up with the 451's for acoustic or overheads?
I record a lot with this combo. They compliment each other for a great vintage SDC sound.
Old 28th July 2011
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertmo View Post
I've been recording with an LA610 MKII lately, every overdub on a record actually...
And I've had an early M610 for years. I really love the LA MKII, it sounds fantastic to me.
Just leave the compressor engaged even when you're not using it too much. Huge
sounding like that! I don't ever dig in very far with the comp. Although it works
extremely well, the tone is just too wonderful when it's barely engaged. Shrinks up
a little too small for me when I really dig in with the comp, but it's a smooth comp!

But yeah... tons of sonic options. It can take a while to dial in, and even though I have
years of experience with this preamp I still don't always nail it. Very easy on the 610 to
think you have the greatest sound, then listen back the next day and realize you pushed
it into distortion when you didn't want to. But I still love it, it's a great sound when you
get it right.

Vocal chain for me on these recordings is Rode NT2000 into the LA610MKII : YUMMY
I just hooked up the la610 MKII today. I did some tests and played with all the dials for a while. First my TLM102 on my acoustic. The sound I was getting was perfect for blues and when you want the guitar to break up just ever so slightly but you have to set the gain way down and kick in the +10 gain knob to give extra for when the gain is down. I added just a tad of Compression and it sounded solid. Then I tried my ribbon, and then my KSM32.

I then tried on vocals and it does take a while to dial in a sound that you like. I'm not a fan of over compressing vocals, so again I set the compression low and the gain at about +2. Each mic I tried worked a bit different.

I have a Grace M101 coming this week and can't wait to compare. I'm going to do some sample audio tracks with all settings listed, for others and to help myself remember what sounded good

Overall great unit for 1300 new. Yep I know a guy
Old 21st June 2012
  #23
Gear Head
Just wondering how did the grace stack up the the la-610?
Old 6th October 2012
  #24
Gear Head
 

i have my first payed recording session next tuesday and the studio i work in has an LA 610. anyone have some good settings theyd like to share with me on a male R+B vocalist? Im not gonna have enough time to play with it and the TLM 49 im going to be using with it. (my other options are my blue spark or groovetubes st55. so good choice right?) anything would be super appreciated!
Old 6th December 2012
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

I think LA610mk2 is one of the best pre/EQ/Comp for vocal.
Once I hated it, I was thinking selling it.
Once I changed the 12AT7s to other kind of tube, I love it.
(I don't wanna tell which thread I found the info of tube replacing, because tubes will be gone if everybody rushes into replacing tube.)
LA610mk2 imparts shining 2nd harmonic distortion, then the sound opens up.

EQ is amazing....(my favorite setting is [email protected])
Comp is .....too amazing....
it's more useful than my expensive Urei1176(rev.F).
It's Magical.....

LA610mk2 is my 1st choice.
I use LA610mk2 way more often than my very very expensive vintage NEVE1084.

People who has headroom issue with LA610mk2?
Sell it to me @ $100.
I'm gonna buy 12 of these someday!

by the way, VT737 is crap. it's only for rap.
Old 6th December 2012
  #26
Gear Addict
 

the 610 comp section is more useful than an 1176? really?

I've had mine for 3 years and the last thing I would say is the compressor is useful. Its kind of a one trick pony.. if you ask it to do anything more than 2-4dB of reduction it just starts crushing the signal to hell.
Old 6th December 2012
  #27
sold mine and dont miss it at all
Old 6th December 2012
  #28
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrederick View Post
the 610 comp section is more useful than an 1176? really?
Yes. Truly Yes.
For 1176, 1176plug-ins are enough.
Actually, 1176 generates unpleasing transient at attack and it's nasty at many time.
1176 plug-ins is way better than real 1176.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrederick View Post
if you ask it to do anything more than 2-4dB of reduction it just starts crushing the signal to hell.
Comp doesn't crush the signal.
12AT7 at comp section crushes the signal.
My LA610mk2 comp doesn't crush signal at all at 20db reduction.
It is magical.
Old 6th December 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 

no way i would choose it over an 1176 for my vox comp, but also 1176 fits my styles better

so here is my take on the mkII, Ive had for a year or two. Its alright, not bad, not great. I havent sold it. Yet its not my favorite. I am a fan of the UA pres/comps, but this one never really did it for me like others I have used/had. That being said I kept it because I do like it for DI guitar and bass more than most other stuff I have. DO change the tubes. It can overdrive easy which is both it's best and worst feature in some ways. Ive never actually used it on a real session on vox. Not for a lack of trying, but it just never works out as well as other pres I have on vox. Also I find it extremely annoying that you cant use the comp without hitting the pre. I heard they fixed this in newer revs but, come on. now the good thing is its kind of cheap compared to the la2a or 76
Old 6th December 2012
  #30
Gear Maniac
 

LA610mk2 is definitely NOT for Bass.
LA610mk2(without 12AT7) is for Vocal, A.Gt, other primary stand out tracks.
And the EQ and Comp is good, great, amazing for every tracks.

If there are someone who is thinking that LA610mk2 is for overdrive fx box, it's very very not right.
There are plenty good overdrive plug-ins,
and there are less opportunities I need overdrived sound.
To get rid of 12AT7s is to achieve clean sound, not overdrived sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeBros View Post
DO change the tubes. It can overdrive easy
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump