The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio LA-610 Mk II on vocals???
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rabbit View Post
LA610mk2 is definitely NOT for Bass.
I'm curious about how you came to that conclusion.

As someone who has used an LA610 for recording my own bass playing many, many times with good success, I can't agree with you even a little bit. The DI is very good on it's own, but I have found that my very favorite bass sounds have come from running a SABDDI into the mic input on the LA610. To me, that combination makes magic. Based on the number of bass players on the TalkBass forum who have commented about how good the LA610 is for bass, it seems I'm not the only one with this opinion.
Old 7th December 2012
So in the middle of this project i am working on I decided to sell the LA610MKii and put the money towards a new vocal mic (CV4) and a twinfinity (basically got a new twin for 200ish us$ with this awesome deal i found) I was only using the UA on kick out and direct clean gtr .. i use neve api and many others for the rest.. I was thinking that I would miss it.. the band came back to record a few more tunes the same way.. I had to use one channel of my Focusrite octopre mkii dynamic for kick out.. WOW .. dont miss it at all.. in fact i think i like the the FR better..crazy.. so once again..don't miss it at all.. and when the twin comes it will get the kick out duty and clean direct gtrs .. good times
Old 7th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricF View Post
I'm curious about how you came to that conclusion.

As someone who has used an LA610 for recording my own bass playing many, many times with good success, I can't agree with you even a little bit. The DI is very good on it's own, but I have found that my very favorite bass sounds have come from running a SABDDI into the mic input on the LA610. To me, that combination makes magic. Based on the number of bass players on the TalkBass forum who have commented about how good the LA610 is for bass, it seems I'm not the only one with this opinion.
the la610 is not bad for bass but the avalon U5 crushes it
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. Truly Yes.
For 1176, 1176plug-ins are enough.
Actually, 1176 generates unpleasing transient at attack and it's nasty at many time.
1176 plug-ins is way better than real 1176.

Comp doesn't crush the signal.
12AT7 at comp section crushes the signal.
My LA610mk2 comp doesn't crush signal at all at 20db reduction.
It is magical.
friend, are you really being serious and comparing the compressor section of the LA610 to an 1176? And also claiming it to be more useful? That is most odd. I personally think the compressor section is good but it has a sound, a particular sound. If that's what you're after then cool providing you don't do too much reduction with it. Then it doesn't work so much.

The 610 in my view is really easy to balls up a track if you don't know it intimately, but once you learn it, it's a real pleasure and staple tool.
Old 8th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
the la610 is not bad for bass but the avalon U5 crushes it
That's right.

LA610mk2 is brilliant for primary, main tracks at mid-high freq. Not for lower freq.
Unless your LA610mk2 is not good at mid-high freq tracks,
If your LA610mk2 sounds better at low freq than mid-high freq,
your LA610mk2 is not working properly.
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's right.

LA610mk2 is brilliant for primary, main tracks at mid-high freq. Not for lower freq.
Unless your LA610mk2 is not good at mid-high freq tracks,
If your LA610mk2 sounds better at low freq than mid-high freq,
your LA610mk2 is not working properly.
Complete BS, both the avalon and the la610 are great for bass, in fact Ive used the 610 more often on bass than any other pre.
Old 16th August 2014
Here for the gear

I just bought an LA610

Forgive me for opening this old thread. I bought an LA610 to help enhance my sound quality on some math teaching videos that I am creating.

I am Using a Blue bird microphone and a presonus audiobox 22vsl interface.

My question is... if I go all out with the purchase of an la610...do I need a serious upgrade to my interface to achieve that rich quality sound that I am aiming for...or is what i already have gonna do the job.

Thanks in advance for your help. I am new to to all of this and realy do appreciate the knowledge base of all you guys.
Old 19th August 2014
Here for the gear

Hi, i would try to record the same material two times.

1. Presonus
2. LA 610 and Presonus

Use EQ with taste and light Compression while recording with your LA 610

Now compare both signals...you will like option 2.

After editing your perfect take, you can route your vocals again through your LA 610 (again EQ/Comp) for shaping....

This way, you should do fine.

I had great results with my LA 610 on Vox,Sax... but you have to TRY!
Nowadays i use a Digidesign 192 for A/D D/A
BUT with patience i also had great results with a LA 610 and my old M-Audio Fasttrack Pro !!! Do not care to much about converters. TRY and LISTEN!

Good Luck
Old 12th October 2014
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEImatrix View Post
I used an LA610 2 nights ago with an SM7b. It was very nice.

If you're recording vocals in an untreated room, go with a dynamic mic IMO.
I cut my vocals with the SM7B and was looking into the UA SOLO610 or the LA-610 Mk II. I have more of that Smooth Jazz vocals sound... a bit like Michael Franks.

I was wondering if there's any real advantage going with the LA-610 Mk II over the SOLO610.

Any tips would be great!
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear
The MKII has a compressor,eq and an impedence switch.
Old 15th November 2014
Here for the gear

Seeing as this thread was bumped 4 weeks ago just wanted to give a random fact that Tinashe's debut that dropped last month had a lot of vocals on it recorded with a Microphone chain that was just a Neumann U87 Ai into a LA 610 MKII and than a Apogee Duet as the Audio Interface
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
To get rid of 12AT7s is to achieve clean sound, not overdrived sound.
Would love to do what you have done man aby info you can provide?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRTUALBOi View Post
Would love to do what you have done man aby info you can provide?
FWIW I have a 610 Solo and changing the tubes made a midrange difference, Contact Bowie on here for good advice!....
Old 9th September 2019
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=
Once I changed the 12AT7s to other kind of tube, I love it.
(I don't wanna tell which thread I found the info of tube replacing, because tubes will be gone if everybody rushes into replacing tube.[/QUOTE]

Hey man can u share now its been years lol
Old 4th October 2019
Gear Guru
Mullards did it for me.... midrange FWIW. Contact Bowie for great recommendations.......Stock weren't bad but the sound does change w/tubes......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search