The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roberts PreAmp
Old 14th October 2005
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Roberts PreAmp

another preamp thread, amazing!

anyway, i was wondering if anyone knew anything/any opinions on the tube preamps from an old Roberts tape deck (a 1057 to be exact). as always, any help or insight is greatly appreciated
Old 16th October 2005
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought one of the modded ones from vintageaudio.org last month and I'm really really digging it! It's pretty noisy (gonna have to try an ebtech hum eliminator for this one- None of my other many pre's make much noise if any), but really does sound very nice. I've used it on vocals and snare drum so far with really nice results. I'm looking forward to his upgrades (Donn Tarris- the guy doing the mods).

mckay
bounce inventive audio
Old 16th October 2005 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Very cool. I just purchased an old Roberts 1057 tape deck with two of the tube mic pres in it (one is at the repair shop getting fixed), but when i tested out the first pre, it sounded amazing. And luckily, it didn't have any noticeable hum at all! Just wanted to see if anyone else had any luck with these
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an akai M7, the pich rolelrs wasted the pres are fine, are these completely self contained? can I just pull them out and use them?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i'm not sure with that particular model, but the mods that vintageaudio.org do indicate that a lot of the machines' pres are totally self contained. so, there is quite a good chance that yours can be removed, however will need some sort of cover/backplate business to keep everything sheltered. sadly, in mine the tubes are not self contained in the pres, so the rest of the machine i must keep. but it's not that big anyway (only takes 7" reels)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
these are the exact ones I have

http://vintageaudio.org/media/RobertsPreampWCase.jpg, just badged as Akai
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's the one. Plug it in already!!
Old 12th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Alright bottomfeeders ;-) I sent the guy (Donn) at vintageaudio.org a clip of a quick preamp test I did on the TI modified Roberts preamp (with a cheap mic, SP C1 that was out on the stand at the moment) and he posted the clip on his site. So, if anyone is thinking of trying these pre's, you can hear a really great male vocalist singing into one with the wrong mic for the song ;-) These pre's are pretty cool! There's a bit of a 60 cycle hum on mine (had to use noise reduction to kill that in PT) but it's a very useful unit.

http://www.vintageaudio.org/

Cheers.
Old 12th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds great man, killer song.

I guess Ill plug this thing in..............
Old 16th November 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, Dave! I'll pass the compliment on to the songwriter :-)
Old 11th March 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HAHAHAHAHAH

Bumping this old thread, I FINALLY got around to pulling the pres out and for the hell of it I plugged it into my marshall cab.

OH MY GOD

THIS THING SCREAMS!

My plan is to use it on some overheads and see how that sound, but damn It makes a kick ass guitar amp too.

I think I paid $20 for it, if I remember right.

I'm gonna mic this cabinet up and post some clips, this thing rages, hilarious
Old 17th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Reviving this old thread. I was wondering, with the preamps in these old tape decks, are these ppl modding them just to have a smaller stand-alone preamp module, instead of the larger deck? Or is there some necessary modding needed just to use it as a guitar amp and/or mic pre?

I was thinking about getting one of the old decks, just to record my guitar through the pre amps, into pro tools. But I'm not in a position to mod it myself or pay someone else to. I dont mind if I have to use it through the tape deck, if it still works the same that way.

Anyone know? Thanks

The deck I was looking at is an Akai 1710

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=akai+...w=1366&bih=587
Old 3 days ago
πŸ“ Reply