The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prodipe Pro 8 Studio Monitors? any owners?
Old 5th January 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Prodipe Pro 8 Studio Monitors? any owners?

I've seen a handful of users in this forum talk about owning and using Prodipe monitors. Most of those posts were a few months old, so I was wondering how, after this time, they were treating them. Also anyone else with input on these speakers is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 5th January 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
surflounge's Avatar
this is from June if it helps
Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8
Old 5th January 2010
  #3
Here for the gear
 

I saw that link in one of those old threads, but nonetheless thank you!

anybody else?
Old 15th February 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

it's hard to find much infos / reviews in the www.
a friend of mine told me to look out for these (i'm searching for a new pair)
i'd also like to know more about the difference between the regular pro 8 studio and the ribbon version. same price and the ribbons def. look cooler...

no one?
Old 25th February 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

ok i bought these babies 2 days ago
really liking them alot! i was curious to compare them to my NS-10's
(if it would be sort of "hard to get into them") and if there was something dramatically different. no problem so far. the prodipes don't seem over hyped and have a smooth top end.

the bass is just right IMO. so, all in all: really happy customer. unbelievable how cheap these are...

oh and...they are bigger than i imagined! (online purchase on recommendation from someone i trust)
Old 6th March 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Yeah, right...'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
ok i bought these babies 2 days ago
really liking them alot! i was curious to compare them to my NS-10's
(if it would be sort of "hard to get into them") and if there was something dramatically different. no problem so far. the prodipes don't seem over hyped and have a smooth top end.

the bass is just right IMO. so, all in all: really happy customer. unbelievable how cheap these are...

oh and...they are bigger than i imagined! (online purchase on recommendation from someone i trust)
Anyone else out there with first hand experience of the Pro Ribbon 8's?

Mike
Old 7th March 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

still very happy!

i guess you will not get any more replies, since they are far from known and everyone grabs the most known speakers for safety reasons

as the sound on sound review (plus people i trust, esp. one that works in a shop with high end equipment) says, they can absolutely compete with speakers twice as expensive.

mixing has been much easier for me since i have them.
Old 7th March 2010
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Yeah, right...'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
still very happy!

i guess you will not get any more replies, since they are far from known and everyone grabs the most known speakers for safety reasons

as the sound on sound review (plus people i trust, esp. one that works in a shop with high end equipment) says, they can absolutely compete with speakers twice as expensive.

mixing has been much easier for me since i have them.
thanx miro, & yes, i agree with your comment re. sos's reviews.

cheers, mike
Old 7th March 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
AlexK's Avatar
 

I know the Pro5, and like it. Maybe a bit overly rounded and a little flattering, but they're really nice speakers to work with, and what I have done on them seems to translate.
Old 13th March 2010
  #10
Here for the gear
 
verr's Avatar
 

just got the 8" ribbon version of these bad boys. Hands down the best monitors ive heard in the price range. I was able to go back and quickly adjust all my old mixes(that I did on other monitors) and had them sounding better than ever.Not overly bass-y or bright yet, they still deliver all the right bass freq to compensate for a lack of a powered sub set up. I love em. If you are restricted to $500 and below to get some monitors, look no further.
Old 13th March 2010
  #11
Gear Head
 

Those are pretty decent monitors for the price. But really, in that price range the KRKs offer the most for your money IMO.
Old 30th June 2010
  #12
Here for the gear
 
nmrnk's Avatar
 

has anyone bought this monitors ? i`m quite interested to buy this , i heard a lot of good things about them but not so many people have them in this forum ...I will be pleasant to hear more things about them ..heh
Old 30th June 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrnk View Post
has anyone bought this monitors ? i`m quite interested to buy this , i heard a lot of good things about them but not so many people have them in this forum ...I will be pleasant to hear more things about them ..heh

my 2 ¢ = thumbsup
Old 1st July 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
DaVogi's Avatar
prodipe pro 8 (non-ribbon) = krk rp8 (first generation)

german magazine (sound&recording) testet both and said they are practical the same except of different woofer color and price tag (this was about 3 years ago and the krk rp8 cost about double the price than now!)

so everything you hear about krk rp8 is also true about the pro8.

I am a long-term-owner/user (>2 year) and I hate them... my mixes on them never really translated well and it's hard to hear small details on them, so I always have to monitor louder as I want (and do on other speakers)

they are balanced yes, so not overall bright or dull thats what I like about them... but same time nothing is really pronounced and clear. if you compare it to higher grade speakers side by side you hear that they are middy/boxy without much detail in bass or highs. I also had troubles balancing volumes with these. ns10/avantones do hear a much better job.

so for me they were a big waste of time because I had to redo much of my work on them....

in this price tag I would consider yamaha hs80 or if you can spend more money focal cms or adam a7x.

I wouldn't buy cheaper monitors than the adams for mixing because in the long run you just limit yourself with cheap monitors.

but no clue about ribbon or rp8 g2 monitors...
Old 1st July 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
prodipe pro 8 (non-ribbon) = krk rp8 (first generation)

german magazine (sound&recording) testet both and said they are practical the same except of different woofer color and price tag (this was about 3 years ago and the krk rp8 cost about double the price than now!)

so everything you hear about krk rp8 is also true about the pro8.

I am a long-term-owner/user (>2 year) and I hate them... my mixes on them never really translated well and it's hard to hear small details on them, so I always have to monitor louder as I want (and do on other speakers)

they are balanced yes, so not overall bright or dull thats what I like about them... but same time nothing is really pronounced and clear. if you compare it to higher grade speakers side by side you hear that they are middy/boxy without much detail in bass or highs. I also had troubles balancing volumes with these. ns10/avantones do hear a much better job.

so for me they were a big waste of time because I had to redo much of my work on them....

in this price tag I would consider yamaha hs80 or if you can spend more money focal cms or adam a7x.

I wouldn't buy cheaper monitors than the adams for mixing because in the long run you just limit yourself with cheap monitors.

but no clue about ribbon or rp8 g2 monitors...

Hi,

I can't agree. Long time (+10 years) NS-10M user here aswell. Since I added the Prodipe's (Ribbon 8) my mixes translate MUCH better and I have so much easier times to balance. When I received them I was shocked how bad some previous mixes were. I also read that sound & recording review and as far as I remember they even prefered the Pro's to the KRK's (?)

I have no clue if the regular 8's sund that different to the Ribbon's, but over here I really can't complain about "no details" in the highs and I'm really satisfied about the lows, being "there" but not dominant.

I wonder how you can call them "boxy" and NS-10's more detailed (NS-10's = The No.1 "boxy/mid-ish" speaker in the world)

NS-10's are ok for one purpose: to double check, but to work on them nonstop= PITA and after 1 hour you need a break. Not with the 8's...

(And this comes from a long time "NS-10's Rule" guy! LOL)

Either way...whoever is interested: Get 'em, if you don't like: send back!


Old 1st July 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
DaVogi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
Hi,

I can't agree. Long time (+10 years) NS-10M user here aswell. Since I added the Prodipe's (Ribbon 8) my mixes translate MUCH better and I have so much easier times to balance. When I received them I was shocked how bad some previous mixes were. I also read that sound & recording review and as far as I remember they even prefered the Pro's to the KRK's (?)

I have no clue if the regular 8's sund that different to the Ribbon's, but over here I really can't complain about "no details" in the highs and I'm really satisfied about the lows, being "there" but not dominant.

I wonder how you can call them "boxy" and NS-10's more detailed (NS-10's = The No.1 "boxy/mid-ish" speaker in the world)

NS-10's are ok for one purpose: to double check, but to work on them nonstop= PITA and after 1 hour you need a break. Not with the 8's...

(And this comes from a long time "NS-10's Rule" guy! LOL)

Either way...whoever is interested: Get 'em, if you don't like: send back!


großes missverständnis!

I didn't mean that ns10 are more detailed than the prodipes or that the pro8 are more boxy than ns10 (as you stated the opposite is true of course - ns10 are the most boxy 2way speakers I know).

I meant, that balancing volumes is easier on ns10 because there aren't so many things (details, highs, lows) which could distract you. but at the same time the prodipe aren't so detailed either so that small eq decisions e.g. would be easy. so I rather have an super-detailed monitor as main reference and ns10/avantones as a second pair for checking overall balance... than something in the middle like the pro8.

but hey, we are talking from two different monitors as you never heard the mk1 unit and I never the ribbons, so maybe we would have the same opinion on the same speaker anyways?
Old 2nd July 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
großes missverständnis!

I didn't mean that ns10 are more detailed than the prodipes or that the pro8 are more boxy than ns10 (as you stated the opposite is true of course - ns10 are the most boxy 2way speakers I know).

I meant, that balancing volumes is easier on ns10 because there aren't so many things (details, highs, lows) which could distract you. but at the same time the prodipe aren't so detailed either so that small eq decisions e.g. would be easy. so I rather have an super-detailed monitor as main reference and ns10/avantones as a second pair for checking overall balance... than something in the middle like the pro8.

but hey, we are talking from two different monitors as you never heard the mk1 unit and I never the ribbons, so maybe we would have the same opinion on the same speaker anyways?
Oh ja, tut mir leid!

I really wonder how big the difference is between the two versions!
And sure, a more expensive and more accurate monitor will do a better job but if someone is intersted in the 8's he's probably considering something in that price range so...

And IMO the prodipes are more natural than certain other speakers i owned or heard, which were twice the price.

Also the built quality is VERY good - worth mentioning!

cheers
Old 18th October 2010
  #18
Gear Nut
 
SquashPile's Avatar
 

Going to try these out.. Ordered Pro Ribbon 8 today.

Can any owners give up an update?
Old 22nd October 2010
  #19
Gear Nut
 
SquashPile's Avatar
 

Impressed so far..

Had to swap out the 1A fuses for 250v 2A for 110v, but other than that I'm about to do some serious listening. Be aware of that the fuse swap if you are using these in the States.

It seems I really have to crank the interface volume much higher to get the same levels as the Tannoy. Volume is from -80db to 0. No big deal, just have to get used to levels.
Old 7th July 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashPile View Post
Impressed so far..

Had to swap out the 1A fuses for 250v 2A for 110v, but other than that I'm about to do some serious listening. Be aware of that the fuse swap if you are using these in the States.

It seems I really have to crank the interface volume much higher to get the same levels as the Tannoy. Volume is from -80db to 0. No big deal, just have to get used to levels.

A year later on, what is your verdict?
Old 7th July 2011
  #21
Gear Nut
 
SquashPile's Avatar
 

WoW.. has it been that long heh

I'm still enjoying the Prodipe monitors.

I have even been using these with my Line6 HD500 Modeler too and it sounds fantastic.

I would buy these again.
Old 7th July 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Mark D.'s Avatar
 

Have you compared them to any other popular brand name monitors?
Old 7th July 2011
  #23
Gear Nut
 
SquashPile's Avatar
 

Tannoy and all the KRK+(VXT), JBL and whatever else I could get from Guitar Center to try. Only brought the Tannoy and VXT home for testing and returned. The Tannoy was pretty impressive. Really was not expecting much from those.

Tannoy - No grounded plug - I was not satisifed with low end. I still think these sounded amazing for low cost monitors.
KRK - Anything but the VXT the bass seemed ridiculous in my partially treated room.
JBL - Seemed very weak. I was thinking something was wrong with these.

In the end got tired of looking and testing. Took a chance on the Prodipe and I'm satisfied for what I need.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0...ribbonpro8.htm
Old 7th July 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

I'm still satisfied after nearly one year.
Old 21st July 2011
  #25
Gear Head
 
SanchezR84's Avatar
 

I read about these a while ago on SOS. I have a pair of MR5's and I'm ready to move on. I'm seriously thinking about giving these a shot. Plus I haven't read one bad thing about them.
Old 21st July 2011
  #26
Gear Head
 

Firstly, i haven't heard these monitors.

I have however had experience with Prodipe, their midi keyboards were the worst I've ever seen. the trade price on most of there products is so low it begs the question what are they made of and who makes them? Also we had a demo unit of one of their 2/2 interfaces and it was **** (really cheap but ****).

I'd be weary of anything made by Prodipe. But like i said i've not heard these speakers so take it how you will.
Old 24th July 2011
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Here's a review that might help....

Prodipe Pro Ribbon 8

Old 25th July 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchezR84 View Post
I read about these a while ago on SOS. I have a pair of MR5's and I'm ready to move on. I'm seriously thinking about giving these a shot. Plus I haven't read one bad thing about them.
You should ideally save up for something better so you can do a proper upgrade ( Focal, Adam etc)
Old 26th July 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
omtayslick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist001 View Post
Firstly, i haven't heard these monitors.

I have however had experience with Prodipe, their midi keyboards were the worst I've ever seen. the trade price on most of there products is so low it begs the question what are they made of and who makes them? Also we had a demo unit of one of their 2/2 interfaces and it was **** (really cheap but ****).

I'd be weary of anything made by Prodipe. But like i said i've not heard these speakers so take it how you will.
Here is an alternative view about the company's products. I bought one of their microphones after reading this short SOS review:
Prodipe TT1

The mic was going for the whopping sum of $27 including shipping, so I decided to satisfy my curiosity. I found the SOS review to be accurate, and I really like the microphone. And not just "for the money", I use it along side all my other mics. So, I know nothing about their other products, but the TT1 is an incredble value.
Old 9th October 2011
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Prodipe Pro5

Hi, I just recently bought myself a pair of Prodipe Pro 5's and I can say I am greatly impressed by the sound quality os these little things.

I didn't know the brand until I found them in the store. They're better sounding than HS50's and way better than the Behringer 2030 and the KRK Rokit 5 (my opinion of course). The Pro 8's sounded really impressive, too, but they would be too big for my home studio. I'm using the Pro 5's two ticks below the -6db volume setting, which goes from -30db to +6db (so something like 25%).

In Brazil we usually pay twice the price of these things, because of taxes and the shipping (each on weights 7kgs). I ended up paying about 80% the price of a pair of Rokits or the HS50 (BRL 1250).

They've got kevlar woofer cones and silk dome tweeters (you won't find that at this price range), balanced TRS and XLR connections, plus RCA unbalanced. Dual voltage. It's got the volume selector and a HF Level selector, which you might want to keep at 0 or increase to +1db to improve the high frequencies. -1db and -2db appear a bit useless to me, since the high frequencies fade a bit.

I'm not a pro, just bought these for my home studio. But I can pretty much identify ****ty sound or compare sound systems to know if one is boosting the bass too much or distorting the sound with gain. These are not. Listening to those songs we know every detail of, you can still hear all and new details and even try to learn a bit of mixing techniques. Listening experience gets quite immersive depending on the quality of the mix.

In short, I'd recommend these if you get them at the same price or less than Rokits (5 or 6). They're small and look great, and sound great for a home studio (small room).
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 59 views: 23569
Avatar for Macky
Macky 17th December 2009
replies: 98 views: 11956
Avatar for DR Music
DR Music 21st December 2011
replies: 33 views: 3481
Avatar for AldenW
AldenW 12th January 2012
replies: 138 views: 26345
Avatar for andy robert
andy robert 22nd September 2018
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump