The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low budget mic pres Vs. FF400 mic pre Channel Strips
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Low budget mic pres Vs. FF400 mic pre

How do the low budget mic pres (lets say everything under 1000) hold up against the built in pres of the FF400?

I know that the FF400 pres are extremely neutral and that there are allot of low-end pres with all sorts of clone flavors out there.. but say you were to run a color full mic like a 'Sm7b' threw the FF400 pres to get a flavor..
How does the actual sound quality of the low-end pres hold up against the FF400 pres? (If we dont consider the color/flavor of the pre)

And would the FF400 pres be able to give enough gain and good results with a 'Sm7b'?
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear
Lots of room for low end pres under $1000. The FF pres are just what you said - neutral. They also get a bit hissy up at the high gain levels. I like the Presonus Eureka - ~$500. It's a good channel strip as well as a pre, and it gets a 'fatter' sound than the stock FF. Just my opinion, of course. The ART stuff and the RNP are also good sounding.
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Maniac

This might be a bit of a stooped questions... but I think what Im trying to ask is.. sonically are they comparable to each other (pres under $1000 and the Pres on the ff400) but just that they are different flavors.. one beeing clean and a next being warm.. etc etc? or are the other pres actually better pres simply?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search