The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 828 (mk1) to RME multiface (mk1) - noticable difference? Audio Interfaces
Old 11th December 2009
Gear Head

MOTU 828 (mk1) to RME multiface (mk1) - noticable difference?

will i notice a big difference if i upgrade from my MOTU 828 (mk1) to an RME multiface (mk1)?

i produce electronic music and don't do much actual recording.

i can buy a used multiface for $400 however i will then need to purchase the expresscard ($600!! new and i cant find it used anywhere) so the overall investment will be about a grand.

is it worth it? will it improve the transparency?
Old 11th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuron View Post
will i notice a big difference if i upgrade from my MOTU 828 (mk1) to an RME multiface (mk1)?

i produce electronic music and don't do much actual recording.

i can buy a used multiface for $400 however i will then need to purchase the expresscard ($600!! new and i cant find it used anywhere) so the overall investment will be about a grand.

is it worth it? will it improve the transparency?
You will note a difference in the low end which tents to go very low in electronic music. The MK1 MOTU stuff lacks some clarity and dynamic range.

Let me suggest an ECHO AudioFire. The converters in there are awesome and can compete with RME any day. Great Mac and Windows drivers too. Choose the model with the number of inputs and ouputs you need and invest the saved money iin room treatment.
Old 18th December 2009
Gear Head

i agree the echo cards are good for the price (although ive read that they are subpar in comparison to RME when it comes to latency)

i am pretty sure my next interface will be a RME (not jsut for latency and converters but cause of support and especially the routing software),
i mostly wanted to know if i should invest to get the original multiface but i think i will hold a bit and get a newer rme card in some time (especially now since usb3 is showing up on motherboards and its only a matter of time before we see a whole new crop of soundcards from all the manufacturers, therefore making everything current/secondhand alot cheaper)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search