The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Painting monitors Condenser Microphones
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Painting monitors

I have the yellow cabinet KRK R6's and the color is really starting to piss me off. I don't want to sell them and just be using my JBL's, I still like 'em as a reference occasionally.

So my question is, is it a bad idea to paint them a different color? Has anyone gone about this successfully?

I was thinking I could tape over the cones and other areas and spray paint. Yeah, I know the resale value will go down. Don't care.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
I have the yellow cabinet KRK R6's and the color is really starting to piss me off. I don't want to sell them and just be using my JBL's, I still like 'em as a reference occasionally.

So my question is, is it a bad idea to paint them a different color? Has anyone gone about this successfully?

I was thinking I could tape over the cones and other areas and spray paint. Yeah, I know the resale value will go down. Don't care.
LMFAO...paint them pink man heh

EDIT:

You are painting the speaker and not the cone! LMFAO...then it's all good.

Nothing wrong with it, it's like painting a mic different color, it's just a changed look, not the circuitry.

You in the clear man
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

hahah! yeah the speaker cabinet. they are bright yellow, and they are starting to aggravate me to the point where my mixes are being affected lol
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hahah! yeah the speaker cabinet. they are bright yellow, and they are starting to aggravate me to the point where my mixes are being affected lol
I can def see that. I was thinking about painting my mic deep purple, but thought that might actually take the artists attention away from the music, and he/she loses the focus.

I really like your signature: Do what you love, love what you do.

That's a motto to live by, as long as the person knows what he is doing. This **** inspires me to appreciate what I'm doing here, and the fact I'm doing what I love, and that's f*cking beautiful!
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't sweat it. They're fairly inexpensive so I don't think they will be sensitive enough for the sound to be seriously altered by a thin layer of paint. Just make sure you do it right or the paint is going to peel, wrinkle, react with the plastic housing, etc. If you need any painting tips, let me know.
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Look, we painted our S3as to match the trucks looks

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3396/...f561d0d4cf.jpg
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
I can def see that. I was thinking about painting my mic deep purple, but thought that might actually take the artists attention away from the music, and he/she loses the focus.

I really like your signature: Do what you love, love what you do.

That's a motto to live by, as long as the person knows what he is doing. This **** inspires me to appreciate what I'm doing here, and the fact I'm doing what I love, and that's f*cking beautiful!
Purple would be cool, what mic is it? I dont think that would cause distraction in a bad way, could add a cool "wow factor"

and hell ya dude ! I think that as long as a person is focusing on something generally worthwhile it is an effing great motto...of course we cant always live that way 100% of the time (i had to go to the post office earlier...epic line ), but in choosing what to do as far as a life goal, recording and mixing is what I'm doing, and that how I feel about it
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post

that's rad, how did you go about it? i was thinking of using like a specialty plastic spray paint
Old 29th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Purple would be cool, what mic is it? I dont think that would cause distraction in a bad way, could add a cool "wow factor"

and hell ya dude ! I think that as long as a person is focusing on something generally worthwhile it is an effing great motto...of course we cant always live that way 100% of the time (i had to go to the post office earlier...epic line ), but in choosing what to do as far as a life goal, recording and mixing is what I'm doing, and that how I feel about it
Oh man, I'm in the same boat, I'm working right now to make money, so I can make money off using my gear, all great goals need sacrifices, so it's all good. Aim high, with right effort and motivation amazing **** happens

It's MXL 4000, but I decided not to. I don't use the mic, just a thought. heh
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted View Post
Oh man, I'm in the same boat, I'm working right now to make money, so I can make money off using my gear, all great goals need sacrifices, so it's all good. Aim high, with right effort and motivation amazing **** happens

It's MXL 4000, but I decided not to. I don't use the mic, just a thought. heh
heck yeah aim high. i got my short term goals, they lead toward my big long term ones!

i have a low end MXL and I've been tempted to paint it for a while and probably will soon.

& oh ya...im in the process of painting my monitors now, ill post some before and afters in a bit !
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
heck yeah aim high. i got my short term goals, they lead toward my big long term ones!

i have a low end MXL and I've been tempted to paint it for a while and probably will soon.

& oh ya...im in the process of painting my monitors now, ill post some before and afters in a bit !

hehthumbsup
Old 30th November 2009
Gear Addict

I don't see anything wrong with painting your speaker cabs, but for god sakes man, don't masking tape the speakers, just pop out the woof and tweet and control plate and just paint the cabs. Just saying do it right if you're gonna bother.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's rad, how did you go about it? i was thinking of using like a specialty plastic spray paint
Took apart the speakers, spraypainted with normal paint, that's about it.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

Definitely remove the speakers from the cabinets before painting. Its not that hard, and taping them is WAY too risky....for me at least. If you don't really care too much about them, then have at it!
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

hey thanks for the advice everybody. i ended up taping them and it went completely fine in that regard. however....they need sanding in a few places where the paint dripped, and to be touched up in a few places. i needed to use them so there on my desk now. even though they sorta have a crappy unfinished look to them right now, it still feels a lot better on my brain to have em black rather than that yellow ! XP
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post

That picture gave me a trouser accident.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey thanks for the advice everybody. i ended up taping them and it went completely fine in that regard. however....they need sanding in a few places where the paint dripped, and to be touched up in a few places. i needed to use them so there on my desk now. even though they sorta have a crappy unfinished look to them right now, it still feels a lot better on my brain to have em black rather than that yellow ! XP
Post them up once they are done heh
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Why not. I've painted my Avantone's deep purple... heh
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
That picture gave me a trouser accident.
Errrrm.... Thanks? ........
Old 6th January 2011
I just bought a pair of Genelec 1029A monitors that we're shipped to carefully and I want to do a little touch up paint for the cast aluminum. Any suggestions?
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

What about skipping the spray paint (ick!) and taping on some paper or stickers or something?

I personally like taping advertisements from my Tape Ops onto stuff lol.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search