The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Echo Audiofire 4 vs. Presonus Firestudio Mobile? Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abery Clark View Post
bump

There is plenty of info here in GS, I think there´s something in the "gear shoot-out" section on the main page of GS with samples and conversion shoot-outs, or use the search option on the top menu.
Old 16th July 2011
Gear Head

The answer is very easy.

ECHO!...ECHO...Echo...echo...echo...ech...ec...e...

I A/B-d Firestudio-mobile (FS-m) and an Audiofire 2 (AF2).
AF2 beat FS hands down.

I have tested the interfaces on an i7 2600 system, with a TI firewire chipset.

Latency:
AF2 can do 64 samples in Win 7 on an i7 2600 system, at 96khz without any problem. No crackles, no stutters, no glitches. The whole thing was absolutely stable!

FS-m could not go below 128 samples without crackles. I think it's a shame when this amount of processing capacity is at your disposal.
Now FS-m is the second DICE2 chipset soundcard I've tried. The first one was an Alesis io26, which had been tried on a 2ghz Core 2 Duo laptop where it showed the same crappy performance as the FS-m. While AF2 could go down to 64 samples with minor crackles (CPU was around 60-70% so it's not surprising) on the same laptop.

Sound:
I used a balanced cable to connect these soundcards to my Mackie MR5 speakers, I listened to music and switched the cable back and forth. At the second phase I plugged one speaker in the AF2 and the other in the FS-m, and tried to adjust the volume two to the approximate same level. Than switched back and both between the two soundcards.

The AF2 had much cleaner sound, with good definition of highs, accurate midhighs. FS-m had less highsm the mid high range was okay.

The mids and lows. This is very the difference really came out. AF2 had a really detailed, dynamic sub bass and bass, while FS-m's subbasses were not as nearly as dynamic, and the bass range was all smudgy. The difference was so obviuos that my wife, who has a good, but not experienced ear could blindly tell which soundcard was which, and prefered echo.

Headphones>
I tested the soundcards with a Sennheiser HD555 headphone. I have a HD600 as well, but HD555 has a rather bassy sound, and it should sound good on any equipment.

I like the headphones out of AF but I've heard better, however the FS-m's headphone output felt a little harsh and heavy on highs (interestingly the opposite tendency as of the main outputs).

Overview>
The only theoretical advantage FS-m has over the AF series is the analog volume control, however AF2 still sounded better using the digital volume control in the Audiofire mixer software, than the FS-m with the analog knob.

Verdict>
Main out AF>>>FS-m
Headphone out AF>>FS-m
Latency and drivers AF>>>>>FS-m
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Guru

guess I should have known to stick with Echo... thanks for the review! another audiofire is on my list
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbel View Post
Can anyone comment on the pres in the AF4? Thank you

Todd
Yup, sure can.

They are usable and generic, kinda like a VLZ Mackie pre. The conversion is
great and phenomenal for the price. Overall, if something sounds bad, it isn't
the box's fault. It can be a little plain and flat, though.

I don't have the presonus you referenced but I do have a Studio live and
believe both use XMAX preamps which to me, seem a bit better than the
echo. They seem a bit fuller but still a bit flat on top. They are definitely
usable and utilitarian. You can definitely use them with no regrets.

I also believe the Presonus to have better conversion and that can be seen in
the specs as well.

With regard to drivers and stability.... I am pissed with Presonus at present. I
cannot believe it is impossible to record ONE single stinking track
with the studio live and a pentium 4 laptop... Just ONE!

It is freaking rediculous!

Anyhoo, Presonus has a record of problematic drivers. Word of mouth is that
they are getting better but my experience has been fruitless.

To the contrary, I can record live feeds with my AF4 on anything from
Pentium Four to an i7 64bit... from XP to windows 7.

It is ROCK SOLID!

There ya go!
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Can't say much about the presonus but I will say the echo is a great unit. If you want something that has low latency and stable drivers, decent sounding pres, and above average conversion, this is a no brainer. Never had problems with it.

plugging this since this thread popped up. I'm selling my audiofire 4 for cheap. Excellent condition with box and everything. Upgrading to the audiofire 8 or 12 version for more inputs whenever I can sell this one.
FS: echo audiofire 4

picture on ebay page.
Echo Audiofire 4 Interface | eBay
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

AF4 exclusively
Lifeline | Robert Smith

forgot to post it earlier.
Old 28th July 2011
Here for the gear

Nice recording! Great way to show what the audiofire is capable of.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

+1 for ECHO

I've had lynx TWO-A, ECHO A4 and TC Konnekt 6 at the same time in my studio. So, i did a test.
I could not clearly hear the huge difference between ECHO and Lynx...It is very subtle. It is just amazing fact for me... But I can very clear hear difference between TC and Echo. TC is muddy, plastic sound. Sterile sound, in bad way (for me at least). Echo and Lynx are far better.
Unfortunately i did not hear Presonus. But i think my post will help:-)
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

I just recently picked up an Echo AF4 and couldn't be happier. I have never used any Presonus gear but in comparison to my old audio interface (a Tapco link firewire) the echo is a remarkable improvement.
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear
uggghhh... this thrad is making things very difficult for me lol

I own an Echo AF4. I love this thing to death. The AD/DA conversion is unreal for a unit at this price range. One of the best investments i've made to date so far. preamps are very clean..

The issue is.. I use Presonus Studio One. Ever since I switched to my Echo interface, iev had a terrible problem loading video into S1. I get a terrible lag. Surprisingly enough... i think the issue is actually the Echo drivers. The drivers have been staller for audio (low latency.... no pops/clicks).. however.. they seem to be acting really iffy for video in my DAW specifically. I never had these issues when using my MAudio Firewire410. The AF4 is waaaay better than the 410 in almost every aspect... except 1) this video issue, and 2) the 410's drivers allow you to listen to your DAW and youtube/internet/winamp/etc at the same time. (Probably part of the reason they arent as stable lol)

So.... I reached out to tech support for Echo, and i'm praying they can fix the issue for me. Or at least help me work through it if it turns out to be another issue i didnt think of. However... in the event that the AF4 simply wont work w/ video well, i was preparing myself to sell it and grab a Firestudio Project. It would be a logical choice with my DAW... and id get zero latency monitoring benefits.... but damn... it sounds like i really would be taking a step down in quality, which i dont want to do now that i know what good quality sounds like.

uuugggghhhh... i hate this thread lmaolmao

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search