The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd July 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
If I were recording real analog synths I would try to use 88 or 96khz
so you think that recording synths, like the Sylenth1 or any other vst is not good with only 48khz? Sorry if that question appears to be silly, but I'm quite new to music production..
Old 24th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
If I were recording real analog synths I would try to use 88 or 96khz

I think the converters sound fine for doing guitar and bass, but for analog synth where you have harmonics often reaching 40khz you'll want that extra bandwidth

Ive never done it though, that opinion is just based on digital audio specs

Anything beyond 44.1 or 48 at 24bit you ae wasting cpu time and storage for the resultant files.
44.1 in 24bit i sperfectly capable of representing ANY analog synth I ever heard. Don`t waste time mone and resources over something you wont hear in the end result.
Old 24th July 2011
Due to FireWire being phased out I may be forced to get a USB interface. This is my top choice, as I love my Saffire pro 40
Old 25th July 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonwannabe View Post
I don't care how well it works....I had a Saffire 10 i/o for a little over a year and I have issues that are now not covered under warranty so to get it fixed I have to cover any repair bill out of pocket and I took good care of it. Not to mention not long after it's release it was discontinued and the newer models blew it away in features/quality. I don't know maybe I'm unreasonable to think that an audio interface purchase should have a longer useful life than 12 months.

When it worked it was great but I would be reluctant to try a new Focusrite interface without some long term users like people at least 6-12 months out.

The EMU 0404 usb is what I currently use. It has the best data transfer rate, the best converters (by far) in it's class, and excellent preamps. Focusrite doesn't have published specs on the preamps or converters yet, but I'm almost certain the converters won't hold a candle to the EMU. The converters in the EMU are almost as good as those found in Pro Tools HD rigs.

It will definitely blow away any other USB interface. I know specs aren't everything but it sounds good to the ear and looks better on paper.

It's a pretty easy decision if you ask me. I've had mine a few months and no problems running it on my Acer laptop running Vista 64.
What USB interfaces have you personally compared this with? I had a 1212M-which has even better converters supposedly-from what I remember-and it doesn't sound that great. It sounds Ok but not good-and the AD is better than the the DA with line level inputs. Theres definitely some serious issues on the DA side in the analog section-its a little harsh, brittle and other adjectives I can't think of at the moment bc my memory is fading but theres a post-review out there somewhere about it from someone else and it echoed my thoughts almost word for word so I don't have a defective unit.

And I had latency and driver issues that I would assume be exasterbated by USB. I really wish it would have been even half as good as the marketing and specs suggested but it fell short in so many areas I just gave up on it and wrote it off as a loss, and lesson. I will say that at $150-200 it sits at a very entry level price point and probably compares pretty well with its competitors but since I got a Presonus Firestudio Mobile I have been so much happier in every way-from performance to sound quality to stability to build quality. But since its firewire and your looking for a laptop I wouldnt recommend it. I think I'd go Focusrite if I was going to buy a new USB interface but I am quite happy with my hand-me down Line 6 interface for my lappy.
Old 25th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sever View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I just got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB today but I'm having noise problems with it. First of all I used to use an M-audio Delta 66 sound card along with my Fostex PM1 monitors and 1/4" TS cables and I never had any issue like this. The noise is definitely not coming from the monitors as it only happens when theyre connected to the soundcard and they were fine with my old one, also the cables worked fine with my last card.

I have just bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB sound card and after a few seconds of plugging it in via the USB cable, the noise starts. It is a constant high tone along with a noisy rumbling, which increases when for example I open a new web page (it is not doing it to mouse movements though as I've heard has happened to other people with noise problems, however if i click and hold a scroll bar or something that alters the sound of the noise). I've tried plugging my monitors in with TS jack cables and also my PC speakers through stereo mini jack to 2x 1/4" jack cables and the interference is exactly the same with both leads and speakers. Also another thing that I havent seen mentioned in other cases of noise and interference is the sound (music im playing, not the noise) is extremely quiet, I can turn the output volume right up on the card, and my monitor and speaker volume to max and its still too quiet whereas with my last card it would have been unbearably loud. The headphone output is also very quiet even with the volume turned right up although noise cant be heard through the headphones (this could just be because of how quiet it is and I cant hear the noise as its at such a low level).

Anybody experienced this before or have any ideas what could be causing it? I've read about similar things but they dont seem to be the same problems I have.

I've already spoken to Digital Village where I bought it from and phoned Focusrite to see what they think, one of their support team asked me to try it out on another PC which I did and had the same problem, a lot of noise and very low volume of music being played. They seem to think because its the same on 2 PC's (they thought it could be being caused by faulty power or something) it must be a faulty unit and they're going to pick it up and replace it for me.

I'd just like to know if anybody here has had a similar experience or can think of anything else that could be causing it before they come and get it, I'd hate to be sent another one only to have the same problem with it although so far it does seem like a fault with the unit.
Just bought my saffire 6 and got exactly the same problems!
Old 26th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Focusrite do have a DSP mixer system but only on the FireWire Saffires. If it's something you need I'd advise upgrading to the Pro14.

Depending what software you're using to output to your mixer there may be some way to up the output volume.

I ve got the same problem.
So which way we have to go?
Old 26th July 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitattempt View Post
Hi all

Am a noob and this is my first post here. Will be glad for any help.

Am running Saffire 6 USB through a laptop loaded with Windows 7 (Core i3, 2.3 Ghz). I downloaded the latest drivers, etc, but the Saffire 6 is giving me huge problems.
Soimetimes Windows recognizes it, but no Windows sound plays back through it (have checked everything, and Saffire 6 is the default playback device). Then, there is a lot of noise when I try to record anything. Like static.
At other times, Windows doesn't recognise the Saffire 6.
Please help.

regds

I need help too.
I got the same problems between many others with my saffire 6 :-(
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

How very odd.
I bought a saffire 6 about three or four months ago to run as a mobile recording rig when I am away from home.
The drivers installed with zero hassle and latency on my 2 core Intel 1.6 machine with 2gb of ram was very,very low with no issues.

64 buffer if I recall.

Also ran guitar rig, EZ drummer, Kontakt 4 and a ton of effects vst.

I can honestly say I have had no problems at all with this box.
Re headphone amp I was using Sony lowZ cans but even with my K240s at home the level was acceptable to me, a partially deaF 67 year old.
Build quality seems acceptable and the included FX bundle is good, for free.

Main machine has a RME 9652 and a couple of Analog to ADAT interfaces, one of which is a focusrite Octopre.
Sure there is a slight difference in quality, but not enough that I would not happily import stuff done on the Focusrite to my main machine.

Since I bought mine they bought out the Scarlet, so no idea what the comparison there is going to be.
Old 26th July 2011
Focusrite

If you are experiencing interference issues with the 6 USB please contact Tech support and we will be happy to run through some troubleshooting to help resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

I am continually amazed that pweople will come on here or similar hobby sites and ask for tech help rather than asking the people who MAKE their gear.

On the occasions when I have had issues with stuff I have bought, I always approach the manufacturer and the place I bought it at first, only recoursing to the forums when I draw a blank at the first two.

When you buy stuff, you DO buy the right to it working properly, so talk to the manufacturer first, guys,

Generally their advice is going to be at the very least as good as you wil find on here. And if you have warranty still, surely it is a no-brainer?

Just had a two year old SMPro MPatch 2 repaired at no charge by going back to my retailer, who agreed that a phones jack should last more than a couple of years and sent the unit back. SMPro agreed and happily repaired it FOC.

Smiling customer.
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I am continually amazed that pweople will come on here or similar hobby sites and ask for tech help rather than asking the people who MAKE their gear.

On the occasions when I have had issues with stuff I have bought, I always approach the manufacturer and the place I bought it at first, only recoursing to the forums when I draw a blank at the first two.

When you buy stuff, you DO buy the right to it working properly, so talk to the manufacturer first, guys,

Generally their advice is going to be at the very least as good as you wil find on here. And if you have warranty still, surely it is a no-brainer?

Just had a two year old SMPro MPatch 2 repaired at no charge by going back to my retailer, who agreed that a phones jack should last more than a couple of years and sent the unit back. SMPro agreed and happily repaired it FOC.

Smiling customer.
Because on most forums, the helpful ones anyway, lots of simple config issues can be ironed out with speed and reliable correspondence. Most.
Old 28th July 2011
Here for the gear

To the people with static problems with the card, I once fixed a similar issue with an onboard sound card by changing the power plan. What was making the high pitched noise was apparently too much current being drawn by the graphics card, which went away when I switched to balanced/power saving mode. Weird as it sounds, I recommend trying it out.
Old 5th August 2011
Gear Head

I have the saffire 6 now since one week and I'm pretty satisfied. I'm just wondering if the headphone amp is a bit too weak to handle 250 Ohm headphones. I don't know if the sound quality is better with an additional amp, I just have a feeling that there can be an improvement.

Does anyone of you guys run the saffire 6 with an additional amp and can tell me wether its worth to buy one?
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

This seems like a popular choice for a cheap interface, but isn't usb1.1 like really old and do yall think that makes a difference?
Old 3rd November 2011
I was just researching this and I noticed B&H has some sort of instant discount on it right now that makes the final price $166.50.
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - 6 Channel Audio & SAFFIRE 6 USB

Seems like the best deal so I ordered one.
For those of you with the noise problems - did you ever get it resolved?
I tried a Novation NIO a while back and gave up on it quickly due to ground-loop noise. I'm hoping the Focusrite will be better, plus I also have a brand new PC so that could help too.
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

Im looking to shift mine to someone in the UK. Great and accessible little unit, just wish I had gone for the 24 for more inputs...
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

api2500 my point is exactly that.
I contacted the manufacturer in one case and my retailer in the other, both by phone and had a result on the spot.
You cant get much quicker than that, even on the internet.
And of course you have a right to expect a correct answer from the original source.
I think we are all smart enough to figure out that not everything you read on the net is gospel.

Internet: fuelled by gossip, rumour and innuendo and full of people who are
(wait for it)

W R O N G

heh
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I contacted the manufacturer in one case and my retailer in the other, both by phone and had a result on the spot.
And of course you have a right to expect a correct answer from the original source.
I think we are all smart enough to figure out that not everything you read on the net is gospel.

(wait for it)

W R O N G

heh
Very true
Old 21st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I was just researching this and I noticed B&H has some sort of instant discount on it right now that makes the final price $166.50.
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - 6 Channel Audio & SAFFIRE 6 USB

Seems like the best deal so I ordered one.
For those of you with the noise problems - did you ever get it resolved?
I tried a Novation NIO a while back and gave up on it quickly due to ground-loop noise. I'm hoping the Focusrite will be better, plus I also have a brand new PC so that could help too.
So, I just had the chance to test out the Saffire 6 USB over the weekend and it works perfectly with the cheap Dell Inspiron 620s that I recently bought. This is the "slimline" Dell case with a smaller PSU, so I was a bit worried about a USB-powered interface like the Saffire, but I'm very impressed so far. I've cranked up my speakers when recording & playing back silence and there is absolutely no audible background noise in the system. This is a night & day difference from what I experienced with the Novation NIO, though that was also on a different (and much older) computer. I'm using it with Reaper 4.
Old 14th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:

(wait for it)

W R O N G

heh

most manufacturers now a days don't even have phone numbers anymore everything is done by email. not all but around half of them.
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrice09 View Post
most manufacturers now a days don't even have phone numbers anymore everything is done by email. not all but around half of them.

There is, of course, an answer to that.
Vote with your pocketbook, like I do.
Old 6th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proh17 View Post
I have the saffire 6 now since one week and I'm pretty satisfied. I'm just wondering if the headphone amp is a bit too weak to handle 250 Ohm headphones. I don't know if the sound quality is better with an additional amp, I just have a feeling that there can be an improvement.

Does anyone of you guys run the saffire 6 with an additional amp and can tell me wether its worth to buy one?

I have the same problem, I have Beyer Dynamics DT990 Headphones with 250 ohms impedence, and no power...
Even on my monitors i am disapointed by the power...

The line in with mics works great, but i tried to plug a 2nd computer on the line in, it sounds terrible, did anyone try that?
Because the double computer setup was actually the whole point of buying this thing...
Old 6th February 2012
Here for the gear

damn noise,yes i got it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sever View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I just got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB today but I'm having noise problems with it. First of all I used to use an M-audio Delta 66 sound card along with my Fostex PM1 monitors and 1/4" TS cables and I never had any issue like this. The noise is definitely not coming from the monitors as it only happens when theyre connected to the soundcard and they were fine with my old one, also the cables worked fine with my last card.

I have just bought a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB sound card and after a few seconds of plugging it in via the USB cable, the noise starts. It is a constant high tone along with a noisy rumbling, which increases when for example I open a new web page (it is not doing it to mouse movements though as I've heard has happened to other people with noise problems, however if i click and hold a scroll bar or something that alters the sound of the noise). I've tried plugging my monitors in with TS jack cables and also my PC speakers through stereo mini jack to 2x 1/4" jack cables and the interference is exactly the same with both leads and speakers. Also another thing that I havent seen mentioned in other cases of noise and interference is the sound (music im playing, not the noise) is extremely quiet, I can turn the output volume right up on the card, and my monitor and speaker volume to max and its still too quiet whereas with my last card it would have been unbearably loud. The headphone output is also very quiet even with the volume turned right up although noise cant be heard through the headphones (this could just be because of how quiet it is and I cant hear the noise as its at such a low level).

Anybody experienced this before or have any ideas what could be causing it? I've read about similar things but they dont seem to be the same problems I have.

I've already spoken to Digital Village where I bought it from and phoned Focusrite to see what they think, one of their support team asked me to try it out on another PC which I did and had the same problem, a lot of noise and very low volume of music being played. They seem to think because its the same on 2 PC's (they thought it could be being caused by faulty power or something) it must be a faulty unit and they're going to pick it up and replace it for me.

I'd just like to know if anybody here has had a similar experience or can think of anything else that could be causing it before they come and get it, I'd hate to be sent another one only to have the same problem with it although so far it does seem like a fault with the unit.
i had it after swapping leads also,on two diff sets of monitors krk's and alesis 520'2 its like a midi popcorn machine and kinda sqeels when turning the pc off,its really annoying when trying to concentrate on mixing and i cant bear running my monitors on half volume,cant find too much online about it either,what can we do,i do like the focusrite pre's and may have to go back to my alesis io2
Old 7th February 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukeskytalker View Post
i had it after swapping leads also,on two diff sets of monitors krk's and alesis 520'2 its like a midi popcorn machine and kinda sqeels when turning the pc off,its really annoying when trying to concentrate on mixing and i cant bear running my monitors on half volume,cant find too much online about it either,what can we do,i do like the focusrite pre's and may have to go back to my alesis io2
Hi there,

Please contact us here and we'll be happy to look into this for you: The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 9th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hi, i'm newbie here I'm interest in purchasing focusrite saffire 6 usb just want to know is it possible i can connect my videoke player (KUMYOUNG PLAYER) in this audio interface and can record the sound that coming from the Videoke Player and also can record may vocal voice coming from the mic simulteneously. thanks
Old 9th May 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdy View Post
Hi, i'm newbie here I'm interest in purchasing focusrite saffire 6 usb just want to know is it possible i can connect my videoke player (KUMYOUNG PLAYER) in this audio interface and can record the sound that coming from the Videoke Player and also can record may vocal voice coming from the mic simulteneously. thanks
If you want a stereo feed from the videoke player and a mic signal then you'll need an interface with 3 or more inputs. For this reason you might want to consider the Scarlet 8i6 as this fulfils this requirement. You could pass the mic signal through the mic input on the front and the stereo signal from the Videoke player through the line inputs on the back of the Scarlett.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Chris
Focusrite
Old 11th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hi Chris, just want to know is it possible to record simulteneously if I'm going to use TRS 1/4" to RCA cable to connect my videoke player into Input 1 Combo XLR in the front panel of focusrite saffire 6 usb then Input 2 is my Condenser Microphone. Have you test it before this kind of setup, how is the quality of sounds after recording? Is it possible to connect the videoke player instead a guitar instrument in input 1 combo xlr of focusrite saffire 6? Is it ok to use the videoke player to connect into audio interface is there a bad effect in audio interface in the future. Also just want to know when is the product release of Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in the Philippines?

Thanks
Old 11th May 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdy View Post
Hi Chris, just want to know is it possible to record simulteneously if I'm going to use TRS 1/4" to RCA cable to connect my videoke player into Input 1 Combo XLR in the front panel of focusrite saffire 6 usb then Input 2 is my Condenser Microphone. Have you test it before this kind of setup, how is the quality of sounds after recording? Is it possible to connect the videoke player instead a guitar instrument in input 1 combo xlr of focusrite saffire 6? Is it ok to use the videoke player to connect into audio interface is there a bad effect in audio interface in the future. Also just want to know when is the product release of Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in the Philippines?

Thanks
You could do that but you'd only have a mono signal coming from your Videoke player. If this is what you want then the 6 USB could work for you however I would recommend recording both left and right signals from your videoke player.

Instead of the videoke player through input you could put an instrument such a guitar through input 1, yes.

To answer your last question, our distributor their should have information on this. Please contact them on the details here: Focusrite distributors
Old 25th May 2012
Here for the gear

hi, just want to know if there's a focusrite saffire 6 USB 2.0 version already?

thanks
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

jerdy - far as I know the scarlett series are all USB2, but as I have said before I am getting real good performance with the 6 under USB1.1

I had previously tried a Tascam 144 USB1.1 interface which was pretty much unusableon the same computer, so I guess it is down to the drivers etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search