The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions? Audio Interfaces
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

lots of gear with mechanical parts will give you LOTS more problems in your near future...my Saffire pro 40 has solinoids that click on and that to me isnt a good sign of things to come...imho...than driver support and design
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Saff 6 software

Hi,
Urgent!
Sorry, newbie question
I am poised to grab one of these offered used, without software.
How critical is the software?
If vital, can I easily get it?
I have Cubase SX
I already have a Zoom 1608 DAWs
thanks
Old 27th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by axzed View Post
Hi,
Urgent!
Sorry, newbie question
I am poised to grab one of these offered used, without software.
How critical is the software?
If vital, can I easily get it?
I have Cubase SX
I already have a Zoom 1608 DAWs
thanks
PM'd
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

No, PM received.

No, PM received ??
Old 27th August 2010
http://focusrite.com/support/saffire/saffire_6_usb

Drivers are available from the link above, that should do it.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Hi,
I had been there and noted that.
However, I asked about the software bundle.
I get the notion that they are plug in effects and probably some budget Cubase type programme to which they apply, & therefore probably of no consequence.
Am I correct?

I can/could buy one for £80, if it's still in the window.
Old 27th August 2010

They're not essential to the hardware working if thats what you mean, they're just software like what you would get in cubase, but perhaps slightly better. £80 sounds like a bargain and with the money saved you could buy some even better software.

But it won't work with your Zoom DAW because its PC based, so it depends on what you intend on doing in the future.
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks ZoF.
I mentioned the Zoom thinking it would give a perspective such that someone might comment and compare the two mediums.
I have hardly used the Zoom or SX and am not really sure if can justify an interface.
Years ago I recorded a couple of things on Cubase ivia the PC sound card using a multifx unit. Sounded pretty good really.
I thought at £80, I could just grab this and suck & see, BUT, any later resale may be handicapped by maybe most buyer's possibly preferring to have the full package.
Seems I can't download the software then?
I might be unable to recoup my dosh if I find reason to sell it.
My PC is not optimised for recording either.

THANKS
Old 28th August 2010
Lives for gear

+1.

Focusrite Sapphire 6 USB rocks.

I'm running an expensive set up in which I've invested a lot of time and money.

But the Sapphire 6 has yet to fail on me and satisfies all my needs.
Old 30th September 2010
Here for the gear

Hey you guys, I am a new member; and happy owner of a focusrite saffire 6 usb soundcard.

I use it for home recording (with logic) without problems. Although i noticed that the focusrite doesnt have a software mixer like some other cards to fix balance and such (you always need a separate DAW). Is this true? or have I overlooked something?

I actually chose it because it has 4 channels (analog) out, so ik can connect it to a mixer for live DJ-ing aswell. Last weekend I dj-ed at a friends wedding and encountered a problem. After connecting it to the mixer, the input signal in the mixer was very low. Naturally, all knobs on the saffire 6 were turned up maximally. The signal remained too low/soft. Extremely low even, when compared to CD players, when i connected those to see if it was the mixer.

This caused me to be forced to turn up the master volume so high, that sound quality was ****.

Anyone else encounter this problem?
And better yet, find a reason/solution for it?

Thank you for your time reading this, and hopefully thinking about it.

Cheers
Old 30th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdz View Post
I use it for home recording (with logic) without problems. Although i noticed that the focusrite doesnt have a software mixer like some other cards to fix balance and such (you always need a separate DAW). Is this true? or have I overlooked something?
Focusrite do have a DSP mixer system but only on the FireWire Saffires. If it's something you need I'd advise upgrading to the Pro14.

Depending what software you're using to output to your mixer there may be some way to up the output volume.
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamberbamber View Post
My experience with Focusrite Saffire:

I was going to get a Saffire USB 6 but changed my mind at the last minute because I wanted not only Vocal XLR in and midi, but also stereo analog in from my keyboard for greater recording flexibility---so I got the 24 DSP instead. As I got going, I found there was a SPIDF on the Saffire 24 and my keyboard, so I used that instead and still have a XLR and 2 line inputs available.

I paid $365 for a new one off ebay. I'm running Windows 7 64. At first Saffire wouldn't fully detect. I knew this might be the case from reading posts from other Slutz. So I ordered a Siig with a TI chipset that same day and when it finally arrived the Saffire 24 worked without any issues.

After futzing with it for about 6 hours today I managed to get it routed properly in the Focusrite Mix app and in Cubase have three tracks: one for my vocals, one for stereo keyboard and the other for midi.

You could say I feel like I've come out of hell and into a forest. Case history: yeah, I'm one of those traumatized former Mlan users. So, maybe I'm so jubilant because I've never had an audio interface that actually works properly.

I'm not a sound engineer--just an artist. And in my small bedroom, the DSP VRM was enlightening in that it made me consider the soundscape I have to work with with compression, reverb, etc.

Latency was at 12ms/16ms with defaults, but then again the zero latency monitoring with the monitor FX made it a moot point for me. I haven't yet followed the Windows 7 optimization guide on their websites.

Sorry that doesn't answer your midi question, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Saffire product. Good luck.
I can totally relate to the above. I had so many issues with a Digidesign MBox and E-MU 1212M that they should be sending me free products just to test for them. I understand that not everyone has issues with them on their setups/systems but I can tell you that Digi will try to charge you money on tech support if you have any issues-even if its related to one of their products being disfunctional. EMU tried to help out but it took a long time to get new drivers and Im not convinced thats its totally fixed or willing to go back to it just because of all the hassles I already went through. Both of these companies should be ashamed of themselves and their business practices/customer support. I still feel like I was ripped off-that money could have purchased something else worthwhile-I would have rather even gone out to eat 20 times.

The first audio interface to ever work properly Ive ever had was my current Presonus Firestudio Mobile. I was lucky to have a newer Gateway desktop computer with TI Firewire already installed. It works great-and Studio One is amazing!
Old 11th October 2010
Here for the gear

Problem with Saffire 6 USB and Windows 7

Hi all

Am a noob and this is my first post here. Will be glad for any help.

Am running Saffire 6 USB through a laptop loaded with Windows 7 (Core i3, 2.3 Ghz). I downloaded the latest drivers, etc, but the Saffire 6 is giving me huge problems.
Soimetimes Windows recognizes it, but no Windows sound plays back through it (have checked everything, and Saffire 6 is the default playback device). Then, there is a lot of noise when I try to record anything. Like static.
At other times, Windows doesn't recognise the Saffire 6.
Please help.

regds
Old 11th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitattempt View Post
Hi all

Am a noob and this is my first post here. Will be glad for any help.

Am running Saffire 6 USB through a laptop loaded with Windows 7 (Core i3, 2.3 Ghz). I downloaded the latest drivers, etc, but the Saffire 6 is giving me huge problems.
Soimetimes Windows recognizes it, but no Windows sound plays back through it (have checked everything, and Saffire 6 is the default playback device). Then, there is a lot of noise when I try to record anything. Like static.
At other times, Windows doesn't recognise the Saffire 6.
Please help.

regds
It can be problem with drivers installation, or just usb problem. I had no troubles with drivers on sony vaio w7 64, but what i found that if more than 2 usb devices are connected to laptop one of usb devices may be lost.
In my case it means: if usb mouse and nord g2 connected to my laptop then saffire 6 will disappear. (or saffire + mouse = no g2, & so on)
Powered usb hub can help I guess.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

i just snagged one of these units a couple of weeks ago. i have not installed any of the bundled software, just the latest/greatest drivers. i'm running vista32 on an aging core2duo laptop, and here's my take on it:

pros:
1. the driver install was a cinch. install the drivers, plug in the box. dead easy, and it just worked.
2. no issues with latency for softsynths, etc.
3. for monitoring live signal (guitars, etc), of course, the input monitoring is the way to go. it even has a mono button! this means that if you plug a guitar into input 1, with the mono button engaged, the monitored signal will appear at the 'center' of the stereo image, not the far left as would be normal. a nice touch.
4. the box itself is metal. feels plenty sturdy to me.
5. you can use both 1/2 outputs (+4, -10) simultaneously. for instance, the trs pair drive my headphone distribution amp, and the rca pair the speakers. the monitor volume control works on both automagically. the headphone volume control can be set to control volume on outputs 3+4 (rca) via a toggle button. very nice.

cons:
1. the headphone amp in the unit itself is a little on the weak side. it won't drive power hungry cans like akg 240's to any real loudness (hence me using my distro). it's adequate for 7506's or your average earbuds, though. the line outs also seem a bit "soft".
2. the included usb cable seems a little cheap (though it works). i replaced mine with a nicer one, though that's generally standard practice for me anyway.
3. limited to 44.1/48k sample rates (not an issue for me, but for some it might be).
4. i kinda wish they'd gone with 2 trs output pairs and only 1 rca.

other observations:
they don't use the standard buffer sizes for controlling latency...instead, they use a latency slider. i have a request for info in to them on this one, as NO buffer setting provides round latency figures. Notion3 HATES the saffire, but reaper and samp seem to get along with it just fine. I had no issue with my previous interface (mbox2), despite its twitchy drivers, so i'm guessing oddball buffer sizes of 480 or 528 or whatever might be the issue with notion...i'll post an update as soon as i hear back.

overall, though, i'm happy with it.
(the notion thing isn't a big deal, i mostly use it as a mobile scratchpad without any controller/interface).

kell
Old 28th November 2010
Here for the gear

the saffire 6 appears to fit the bill for what i'm looking for. it sells new on musicians friend for $199. did some googling and found a $20 off coupon code. "4FRIENDS" i think the code is good until xmas. just purchased, hoping it delivers!
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

So, how is the sound quality of converters on Saffire 6 USB, especially the DA ones? How are the drivers for Win 7 64bit?
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Addict

what about the Steinberg Ci2? I heard wonderful things about the pres and conversion of these interfaces.
Old 24th January 2011
Here for the gear

I have the saffire 6 usb and i luv it i think the pres sound so good that i dont need any mic pres untill i hit the 500$ range it works realy good on my laptop which is windows 7 64bit. The software that comes with it i can live with out it i use a mxlv69m tube mic with it i think its the best buy for its price range the konnekt24 sounds better but i dont have fire wire
Old 12th February 2011
Here for the gear

Just bought the Saffire 6 USB Interface to replace my M-Audio Fast Track Pro. I was receiving way too much popping in my DAW from the Fast Track.
The Saffire's soundcard works amazing for me, no popping what so ever!
Running Cubase 5 on Windows 7.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

My Saphire 6 USB runs fine now under Windows 7 64bit on a Gigabyte X58 mobo.

I must admit I had problems on the previous mobo,there was a high pitched whine, even after disabling Stepping & C1EST state (err.. can't remember exactly what it was you had to do now ). But when I upgraded to an i7 950 & X58 mobo (previous mobo was an X35) the whine disappeared entirely.

I had an EMU 0404 soundcard in my PC but I didn't install it in my new build, every week or so I'd either get no sound from it or that half-speed really ring-moddy distortion. This could be rectified by switching the PC off and unplugging it for a couple of minutes and If it didn't work, unplugging it again sveral times until it did.

SO, very happy with mine, sounds just as good as the 0404.

Works great in Win 7 64bit.

Didn't even install the software, got loads already.

Works great with my ATH M50s.

Works great as an all-in-one monitoring system too, can switch between headphones & 2 monitor set-ups with one hand.

Old 15th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
So, how is the sound quality of converters on Saffire 6 USB, especially the DA ones? How are the drivers for Win 7 64bit?
I want to know this too but nobody gave a proper review of the converters.

I'm going to use it to record phat sounding analog synths so I need good conversion...

Actually I think 48khz is not enough for my aim.
Old 19th March 2011
It depends what your main use will be.. this is pretty geared towards the live/DJ side of things. I won one from a remix competition and its a nice tidy device and it sounds pretty good to! I dont think i would use it as my main interface its pretty basic.. but for using live with Ableton is perfect. Reasonably priced too!
Old 7th July 2011
Here for the gear

How does the Saffire 6 work for Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc... in terms of latency? I'd really like to buy this card if its as good as everyone says!

Windows 7 Home Premium
intel i5-2410M
8 Gigs of RAM
Old 18th July 2011
Gear Head

Can a user report about the headphone amp, wether it's powerful enough(for reference-class headphones) or wether an external amp is necessary?
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

For which headphones?
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Head

Beyerdynamic Dt 880 Pro
Old 22nd July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proh17 View Post
Beyerdynamic Dt 880 Pro
They should be fine. If you already use an amp with them then it makes sense to use it, otherwise you should be fine as long as it's not stupid levels.
Old 22nd July 2011
Gear Head

I don't have them yet, I will receive my package probably on Monday. So to me that sounds like, working without an external amp won't be a problem, but a (good) amp would possibly improve sound quality. By the way, a proper amp will also cost nearly as much as the Saffire 6 and i can't afford that(at the moment)

Sorry for that question, but do you own the Saffire 6 or are you just guessing?
Old 23rd July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshed View Post
I want to know this too but nobody gave a proper review of the converters.

I'm going to use it to record phat sounding analog synths so I need good conversion...

Actually I think 48khz is not enough for my aim.
If I were recording real analog synths I would try to use 88 or 96khz

I think the converters sound fine for doing guitar and bass, but for analog synth where you have harmonics often reaching 40khz you'll want that extra bandwidth

Ive never done it though, that opinion is just based on digital audio specs

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search