The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th May 2010
Here for the gear

My experience with Focusrite Saffire:

I was going to get a Saffire USB 6 but changed my mind at the last minute because I wanted not only Vocal XLR in and midi, but also stereo analog in from my keyboard for greater recording flexibility---so I got the 24 DSP instead. As I got going, I found there was a SPIDF on the Saffire 24 and my keyboard, so I used that instead and still have a XLR and 2 line inputs available.

I paid $365 for a new one off ebay. I'm running Windows 7 64. At first Saffire wouldn't fully detect. I knew this might be the case from reading posts from other Slutz. So I ordered a Siig with a TI chipset that same day and when it finally arrived the Saffire 24 worked without any issues.

After futzing with it for about 6 hours today I managed to get it routed properly in the Focusrite Mix app and in Cubase have three tracks: one for my vocals, one for stereo keyboard and the other for midi.

You could say I feel like I've come out of hell and into a forest. Case history: yeah, I'm one of those traumatized former Mlan users. So, maybe I'm so jubilant because I've never had an audio interface that actually works properly.

I'm not a sound engineer--just an artist. And in my small bedroom, the DSP VRM was enlightening in that it made me consider the soundscape I have to work with with compression, reverb, etc.

Latency was at 12ms/16ms with defaults, but then again the zero latency monitoring with the monitor FX made it a moot point for me. I haven't yet followed the Windows 7 optimization guide on their websites.

Sorry that doesn't answer your midi question, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Saffire product. Good luck.
Old 30th May 2010
Gear Head

I'm having playback problems mainly with projects that use a lot of CPU but also with projects with not much going on. If I put the buffer below 20ms (which is the max) I notice clicks etc. start to happen in the less cpu intensive projects, if I put the buffer down in the high cpu projects the effects become worse such as the audio slowing down and being stuttery. Is this normal or should it perform better than this? I previously used an M-Audio Delta 66 PCI card and I could run this cpu intensive project fine with 20ms in and out latency. Now with the saffire I can only play it back without any glitches with a latency of 40/60ms in/out.

My system specs are:

Windows XP service pack 2

Gigabyte P35 DS3L motherboard
e7400 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
2 Gig RAM
ATI graphics card

The system is configured for audio applications so is running as well as it possibly can. Also I've monitored my system for DPC latency and I have no spikes.
Old 31st May 2010
Gear Head

I've now also tried using Asio4All drivers instead of the Saffire ones in Cubase and I can use the 512 buffer size (giving me 13ms latency in and out) in projects using most of my cpu, without glitches. Does this mean that it is something to do with the Saffire drivers not working as well as they should? I cant contact Focusrite till tomorrow so I'm just seeing what other people think.
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sever View Post
I've now also tried using Asio4All drivers instead of the Saffire ones in Cubase and I can use the 512 buffer size (giving me 13ms latency in and out) in projects using most of my cpu, without glitches. Does this mean that it is something to do with the Saffire drivers not working as well as they should? I cant contact Focusrite till tomorrow so I'm just seeing what other people think.
There's a Focusrite rep on this site who's always very helpful

Gearslutz.com - View Profile: Andy-Focusrite
Old 31st May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
There's a Focusrite rep on this site who's always very helpful

Gearslutz.com - View Profile: Andy-Focusrite
I think I've actually already been in touch with him through the focusrite support email, I sent him one on friday but they probably arent back working till tomorrow so I'll see what he says then. or ring them and ask them about it, I'd just like to know if anybody here has had anything similar happen.
Old 1st June 2010
Focusrite

Hi sever

I believe that you are in touch with me via email. Hopefully we'll be able to work out if we can get any more performance from your system, and make things run a little more smoothly.

Best regards

Andy Poole
Focusrite Tech Support
Old 4th August 2010
Here for the gear

problems w/ saffire 6 usb and windows 7... HELP!

so, i LOVE focusrite don't get me wrong, the interface sounds incredible, but its performance is nothing short of FRUSTRATING.

it will work for awhile, then suddenly just cuts out. no change in the lights or anything (it doesn't appear to have reset physically), and literally no sound, no way to get it back except restarting my computer. unplugging/replugging it will work but only sometimes.

i have the updated drivers for windows 7 (64x).

im using reaper as a DAW, but also just wanted to use it for general OS sound, browsing, movies, etc.

i have optimized my computer for audio recording, as focusrite's website suggests in a step-by-step video. (Intel Dualcore w/ 2 GB ram, pretty empty hard drive)

i have it plugged straight into my computer into a USB port (no hub).

i have the O/P 3-4 turned OFF. and the headphones cut out when this happens as well.

can anyone help me! i'd appreciate it so much.

focusrite is incredible, i just wish it'd work :(
Old 4th August 2010
Focusrite

Hi there

Sorry to hear you're having problems. If you can provide the following information, I'll do my best to advise further:

- What other USB devices do you have connected to your computer?
- What sample rate and buffer size are you running at?
- How often is it that the audio drops out? Is this while the computer and the soundcard are in constant use, or after a period of inactivity?
- Am I correct in assuming from your message that this is happening with both Reaper and applications such as Windows Media Player?

In order to keep all of the information together, it would be easier to deal with this via our support database. If you want to send in a message via our contact form (The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase), we'll do our best to help out, and if you mark it for my attention, I will deal with your case personally.

Best regards

Andy Poole
Focusrite Tech Support
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Nut

mines all good for me.

- Imac 4gb,
- KRK G2 rp5
- pro tools 8
- se2200a
Old 5th August 2010
Here for the gear

Andy, thanks for replying, it means a lot buddy.

As of now I'm just kinda waiting for it to happen again and figure out the "common denominator" for lack of a better word.

I'll message you over @ Focusrite asap.

Thanks again! thumbsup
Old 5th August 2010
Here for the gear

Same dillema here, need to get an interface.. I've had one before (FCA202) and it was firewire and it still had glitches with the ASIO dirvers in Ableton monitoring a song with 10+ tracks.. Can someone tell me for certain, whats going on here please.. As I understand it it must be the ASIO drivers, or is it my laptop? (4gig ram, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4Ghz).

Is there anyone out there who has monitored a song with 30 tracks through an interface such as Saffire 6 or 0404 and not had glitches and drop outs?

Is there an interface that doesn't require the use of ASIO drivers simply for monitoring?

Old 6th August 2010
Here for the gear

Hello new member here

I know that premps in saffire6 are same as the rest of the saffire interfaces but what about AD converters?

are there some diference in AD convertors between usb6 and pro 40 or 56?
Old 6th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I started out with a Fast Track Pro and never really had any problems with it.

Certainly no pops or clicks which would indicate USB 1.1 throughput issues. I replaced it with a MOTU Ultralite because I wanted more IO channels. I think at least some of the complaints people lay at the door of USB 1.1 are pre-existing problems with there system or unfamiliarity with how it operates.

USB 1.1 devices appear to be limited to 6 analogue channels which is technically fine (in theory USB 2.0 can manage at least 20x that!). Fast Track Pro and Focusrite saffire 6 offers 2 in and 4 out, MOTU microbook offers 4 in and only 2 out.

The E-MU 0404 has a fantastic spec for the money but it is strange that although it is USB 2.0 you actually only get 2 in and 2 out.

(all quotes analogue only ; not counting digital or MIDI).

If you can afford to wait for a little while I'd expect to see more inexpensive USB 2.0 devices appear on the market with a higher channel count.
Old 6th August 2010
Saffire 6 USB vs. Saffire Pro 24

I need some help on my decision. I settled on the USB since it is bus powered, but then found out that the Pro 24 can be powered from the FireWire bus

The USB is half the price of the 24 but the 24 allows me to add 2 pres and 2 line-ins to my big Saffire. The 24 has better metering and allows me to use the SaffireMix zero-latency mixer (don't think the USB does).

Anyone have anything they can chime in with?
Old 7th August 2010
Here for the gear

hi everyone. new here, so go easy...

I'm also interested in Focusrite Saffire 6, but i got a noob question first.
All i'm really intersted in are the outputs. Here's what i want to do:
I wanna run Ableton with 4 tracks and have them separated on a hardware mixer. Can FS6 deliver that? Or are those 4 outputs just 2 stereo ones?
What I want to do is play my midi keyboard live (hooks to laptop via USB), and have three other tracks from Ableton on my mixer (+4 other from the 8 track Tascam itself, but that's not important).. And will I exerience any latency like that, I mean is this setup OK for live playing?
Sorry for the dumb questions and poor sentence formation (Eng is not my first language).
Well I think everything will be more clear from the attached diagrams.
Diagram 1 is basicly how I want to have everything hooked up, while diagram 2 shows my dilema - if things are like on the right side then all is good..
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?-diagram-large-.jpg   Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?-diagram2-large-.jpg  
Old 7th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by melem View Post
Can FS6 deliver that? Or are those 4 outputs just 2 stereo ones?
You either have 2 stereo outs or 4 mono outs, that's up to you
Old 7th August 2010
Here for the gear

thanks for the quick reply Adlen.. yes that's what i thought is the situation.

That just leaves the latency thing. To form the question again:
With this kind of setup, is it possible to fiddle with knobs, clips in Ableton and have the sound respond fairly quick (little or zero latency)? Right now i have my laptop hooked up to my mixer via my laptops sound card and everything is running smooth (on just one channel though). Will everything run the same (except on four separate channels)?
Old 7th August 2010
Quote:
That just leaves the latency thing.
The latency will be pretty low. You won't notice the timing difference between turning a knob and hearing it's effect.
Old 7th August 2010
Here for the gear

Adlen thank you very much..

So this settles it. I'm buying
Old 7th August 2010
Quote:
So this settles it. I'm buying
Me too

Selling my Saffire Pro40 and getting a Liquid Saffire 56 and a Saffire 6 USB for location stuff.

Anybody want a Saffire Pro40- PM me :P
Old 9th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?

I've got a saffire 56 for sale if you are interested in a good deal
Old 9th August 2010
Here for the gear

Ha id love one for £150, thats about as much as i have
Old 9th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal2 View Post
Ha id love one for £150, thats about as much as i have
£130 more will get you my Pro40
Old 9th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB - Any opinions?

I wish I could go that low for you and help a fellow slut out, but I got other toys to get
Old 10th August 2010
Here for the gear

Sorry if this is a stupid question but do i will need to use DI Box for electric guitar or this audio interface have built-in DI Box?

i feel that question is silly

please be gentle
Old 10th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~~~ View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but do i will need to use DI Box for electric guitar or this audio interface have built-in DI Box?
2 built in DIs
Old 10th August 2010
Gear Addict

Does this unit have official 64 bit Windows 7 drivers?
Old 11th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
You either have 2 stereo outs or 4 mono outs, that's up to you
by the way... is there a cheaper, easier, better (?) way of getting 4 different channels of audio out of my computer to my mixer?
Old 11th August 2010
Quote:
by the way... is there a cheaper, easier, better (?) way of getting 4 different channels of audio out of my computer to my mixer?
Not really. I can't find anything on Thomann and for the quality you get from Focusrite stuff, I doubt anyone could make something that good for any cheaper.
Old 21st August 2010
Gear Head

Which samplerates are supported by Saffire USB 6? I can't find any info about this, maybe it is restricted to 44/48 kHz?...

Does it have ASIO drivers?

Does the driver work properly with Windows 7 64-bit? Can't find any info that Win7/64bit is officially supported.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search