The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sytek mpx-4a VS. Daking Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Sytek mpx-4a VS. Daking

so, i've been upgrading my humble home studio lately and i've decided to get my first "mid to high end" pres. I've been using the pres in a Soundcraft m12 and a Studio Projects VTB1. I'm planning on selling off a few items and getting some nicer stuff (used). (i record mostly rock/punk and anything in between)

My first choice would be a Daking IV. I've heard them before and really like the aggressive yet musical nature of them.

but i've also heard positive things about the Sytek MPX-4a pres. I must admit the price seems great. I know it'll probably be more transparent than the Daking, but I figure if i'm going to spend $650-$750 on a used Sytek, why not wait and save for the Daking.

any opinions? better suggestions?

(yes my tracking area is treated, yes I have some outboard compressors, yes I have decent monitors, etc.)
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Rock/punk and anything? Clean pres? Don't waste your time and money, get the Daking. My new favorite pre, I'm tempted to sell my Apis/Porticos everything else to buy all Daking (I have 2 mic pre ivs already).
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Rock/punk and anything? Clean pres? Don't waste your time and money, get the Daking. My new favorite pre, I'm tempted to sell my Apis/Porticos everything else to buy all Daking (I have 2 mic pre ivs already).
That's what I figured. Even though it'll be basically double the price, I feel like Daking will be edgy and punchy for rock/punk. If anything, I can get the Daking, and then down the line pick up a Sytek too and see if I like it. If not, I can always sell it.
Old 20th November 2009
if it's any help i have both daking (mic pre one) and sytek. i do like the sytek pres as they're very clear and honest. the Daking does definitely have a sound it it, although it is subtle. i wouldn't call it aggressive, but there is a certain amount of kick to it but in a warm sort of way. it has a sort of subtle orange tint to it (despite it being green). hard to explain.

Daking is still very clean, so it won't stand in your way in anything you do - i havn't had a bad experience with it myself
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Addict

Steve Albini loves the Sytek.

If it works for him, it works for me.

The Daking is a great piece too.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either -- don't pull your hair out too much about this.

You can always buy a used Sytek and then sell it for the same $ if you decide to get a Daking.

I would not trade my Sytek but am eventually eyeing a Daking Mic Pre IV as an additional purchase.

The True systems stuff is supposed to be great too in the clean camp.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either -- don't pull your hair out too much about this.

You can always buy a used Sytek and then sell it for the same $ if you decide to get a Daking.

I would not trade my Sytek but am eventually eyeing a Daking Mic Pre IV as an additional purchase.

love my sytek as well and have thought about a daking, too. for the money, i do feel like my next big pre purchase will be the pacifica, though.
i would love to see head to head shootouts with both the sytek and daking, though. on with the show!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post

It depends on the sound you want. My father has a True Systems Precision 8, and its fine, but for sheer enjoyment of sound its no match for the Daking. Its a taste thing, you can certainly make a record with any of the above mentioned pre, my goal with recording is to record a sound that I don't feel like immediately changing in the mix, and thats what the Dakings do for me. They make things sound the way I want to hear them.

And to the above poster, I think the Pacifica vs Daking is a much better comparison. There are plenty of veterans on this board who would take a Daking over a Pacifica any day.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Master drummer Dave Weckl talks about how much he loves Daking on this video (nice studio tour, btw):

Dave Weckl - Gear

My next buy for sure...

btw, The MicPre IV and the MicPreOne are the same preamp, right?
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

close but no.
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
close but no.
bummer! Did you had the chance to audition both?
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

No, I haven't. I am an MP1 owner and have talked with owners and
users of both, here on the board. It is known that the MP1 lacks an output
transformer. That is the key difference.

Is it different in sound? Yes, those I have talked with say there is a
difference. The frustration is that no one has yet to characterize the
difference. Not having a IV, or a Pre/EQ, I would love to know how my MP1
differs in sound. It certainly doesn't suck, I just wonder.

Rob
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

I see... thanks!

The IV is out of my budget now... I think I´ll buy the I and hope for the best...

Do you have some samples of the I on drums?
Old 23rd November 2009
either way, you're not going to go wrong. Daking pres are really good, so whichever you choose (MP1 or IV) you're gonna be happy. just get it and make some tunes!

and for the record, it's GREAT with a 57 or i5 on snare. makes these mics sound expensive

(alas no samples to post..)
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Nut

I don't have a Sytek so I can't make a comparison but can tell you that I love my Daking pre/eq. It's got a real cool vibe and you have a wide spectrum of how much vibe you can get from it... as others have said, it does clean really well. I think its one of the best pres for the money and I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about it.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
I see... thanks!

The IV is out of my budget now... I think I´ll buy the I and hope for the best...

Do you have some samples of the I on drums?
The 1 sounds great as well. My friend has one, and as soon as I heard it I bought my 1st Daking IV. Then I bought another one. If I have time, I'm gonna ask to borrow the 1 and shoot it out against the 4.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 1 sounds great as well. My friend has one, and as soon as I heard it I bought my 1st Daking IV. Then I bought another one. If I have time, I'm gonna ask to borrow the 1 and shoot it out against the 4.
Thanks. that will be great to hear.
Old 24th November 2009
mds
Lives for gear

Daking all the way...great preamps.
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
That would be great! Thanks in advance...
Old 15th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Curious to learn if you've made a decision as yet.

The Daking costs about $350/ch more than the Sytek. What do you get for that?

* Transformer balanced inputs and output
* Instrument input on frontl
* 20-segment VU meter
* All relay switching w/gold bi-furcated contacts
* Switched +48v phantom power
* 20dB pad on mic input
* Stainless steel construction
* Brand name

The Sytek offers phase reversal, mute, and +48 pwer switches.

I have a Sytek, and it's a great pre-amp. I've compared it with a Millennia HV-3 and would say that the Sytek is the poor man's Millennia. It's that good.

The Daking has a transformer, and that colors the sound. If you like that coloration, great, go for it.

My primary pre these days is the Benchmark. In addition to the 4 great pre's, it offers a two channel bus, so you can mix a back up copy (I do a lot of location recording, where I cannot afford to walk away with nothing). To my ears, the Benchmark is a bit more mellow than the Sytek.

Finally, if you're in love with the transformer sound, take a look at the Focus right family of pre's.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Maniac

I Just bought the Daking IV and it really awesome on drums. I used it on Kick, snare, and toms, really in your face.
I would save up and get the Daking IV and then buy the Sytek later on.
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegatsby View Post
I Just bought the Daking IV and it really awesome on drums. I used it on Kick, snare, and toms, really in your face.
I would save up and get the Daking IV and then buy the Sytek later on.
I ended up getting a Sytek (which is pretty great!) and am currently saving up for a IV (although I must admit, a couple compressor purchases sidetracked me...)

I'm going to be irresponsible and put my tax refund towards the IV. I'll trick myself into thinking i'm helping the economy!
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Head

I have both a Sytek and a Daking Mic Pre IV and I think Daking eats the Sytek for breakfast. Love the Daking on toms. But you should take a look at API 3124+. My fave drum preamp. I also have Great River, Phoenix Audio and two Vintagedesign. The Sytek was my first outboard preamp, but since buying the others I don't use it any more.
Old 25th April 2010
Gear Addict

i'd love a 3124, but it's a decent amount more than the Daking, which is a decent chunk more expensive than the Sytek. baby steps.
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear
the difference is that the API is not an IMPROVEMENT over the Daking
Old 27th April 2010
Gear Head

Agree. Just a matter of taste.
Old 27th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
the difference is that the API is not an IMPROVEMENT over the Daking
Respectfully I would disagree with you, I have both and I would always reach for the API before the Daking, to me the Daking is a bit more mid forward. I'ts a good sound but I prefer the API to it.
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strutchopper View Post
I have both a Sytek and a Daking Mic Pre IV and I think Daking eats the Sytek for breakfast. Love the Daking on toms. But you should take a look at API 3124+. My fave drum preamp. I also have Great River, Phoenix Audio and two Vintagedesign. The Sytek was my first outboard preamp, but since buying the others I don't use it any more.
hey, thats exactly my preamp story! and yes, I barely use the syteks anymore. I dont remember the last time I used them. I know they are more than usable but...api3124, vintagedesign, CraneSongs,1073s....oh, yeah, today I really want the syteksheh maybe Ill re discover them in the future. Well, Im going to turn them on, see if they still work!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search