The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Comments on this setup
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Comments on this setup

Looking to put together a small home studio for personal use to record drums (and maybe guitar and bass):

MR816CSX - interface
MC930 - OH
i5 - snare
N/D868 -kick
MSP5 - monitors

What do you think? Am I missing anything besides cables and stands of course. Thx!
Old 19th November 2009
Looks like a great setup. You should certainly be able to capture some great recordings with that gear. Do you have any room treatment?
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

I can see your spending the most $ on everything but the monitors, which I think should come first and are most important, along with some room treatment(can DIY for really cheap and how to do it in the acoustic forum). If you do that first you will be very pleased with everything else you get and the way it sounds.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advise. I do not have room treatment currently but will definitely look into it. Room is 15'wide x 28'long which will be partitioned to about 15'x14' for studio use and has high sloped ceiling. What type of treatment should I be looking at?

I am thinking of the MSP5's just to keep costs low for now.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Go look at the acoustics part of forum. Tons of info on this. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-...nels-foam-etc/
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicD View Post
Thanks for the advise. I do not have room treatment currently but will definitely look into it. Room is 15'wide x 28'long which will be partitioned to about 15'x14' for studio use and has high sloped ceiling. What type of treatment should I be looking at?

I am thinking of the MSP5's just to keep costs low for now.
The MSP5's will do for now. Here's some tips to start with:

• Make sure you setup so that you’re firing down the longest dimension of the room.
• Your head should be placed 38% of the way into the room, centered between the left and right walls
• Your head should also be located at the tip of an equilateral triangle with your speakers. Start at a 5’ width and go from there.
• Use at least 4” bass trapping in all the corners, floor to ceiling if possible.
• Use 4” or 6” bass traps on the back wall; the thicker the better basically.
• Use 4” panels behind the speakers on the front wall
• The reflection points to the right, left and above your head can be treated with either 2” or 4” panels. I prefer 4” panels personally; you can never really overdo bass trapping.
• In the case of larger rooms you can use diffusion on the right and left walls near the rear of the room, between your bass traps on the back wall or on the ceiling to the rear of your ceiling panels.

Frank
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Great info especially on the room treatment. May upgrade monitors to MSP7 due to the low price of $279/each. Is this more inline with my setup?
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great info especially on the room treatment. May upgrade monitors to MSP7 due to the low price of $279/each. Is this more inline with my setup?
I mean, either one would be fine. I'd probably take the MSP7's just for some extended low end response.

Frank
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

Thanks for your reply Frank.

Quick question in regards to room treatment. If I fire down the longest dimension of my room, I will not have a wall directly behind me. Can I just use a few of your bass traps on stands behind me as a partition? Building a partition wall is not possible at this time. Thx!
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Frank.

Quick question in regards to room treatment. If I fire down the longest dimension of my room, I will not have a wall directly behind me. Can I just use a few of your bass traps on stands behind me as a partition? Building a partition wall is not possible at this time. Thx!
No need for a wall. The lack of a hard boundary surface behind you is a GOOD thing not a bad thing. It means that your length related modal activity will be based on a 28' dimension rather than 14', which translates to a primary mode (where the greatest energy will be) that's twice as low, meaning that it won't affect you until maybe the 4th octave. That being the case, you may want to concentrate on your front wall, front corners, ceiling and reflection points first....more of a LEDE (Live End/Dead End) kind of thing.

Frank
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Looks like this will be the setup I will put together:
MR816CSX - interface
MC930 - OH
i5 - snare
N/D868 -kick
MSP7 - monitors

Some room treatment as well with some GIK242's. Should I put something on the sloped ceiling above the drum kit?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear