The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 w/windscreen Vs SM58 for vocals
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

SM57 w/windscreen Vs SM58 for vocals

I'm talking specifically about the sm57 with a windscreen vs an sm58, as i suspect that they probably sound pretty much identical. Mainly interested in studio use but your thoughts on live use would be interesting too i suppose.

My question is, which do you prefer to use for vocals and is there actually any difference?

Just to clarify, this is not a 57 vs 58 thread but rather a question to determine whether there's even any audible difference between an sm57 with windscreen and an sm58.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Maniac

this question has been covered plenty of times before. do a search and youll find your answer.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

When choosing any mic over the other it's simple task of guessing which one you think will sound best, based on experience, putting it on the stand and hearing if you are right or not. Figuring out which mic to use is not as difficult as people make out to be. Try it, if it works great, use it. If it's not what you are hoping to hear, try out another one. 57/58 can be good choices, sometimes being picked over more expensive mics, sometimes not. You won't regret owning both and they're inexpensive. Also in the studio, I tend to use a pop filter for both the 57 and 58 when recording vocals. Do a search, you will find out all you could ever want to know about these mics, except the knowledge that can only come from using them. Good luck to you.
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by statixx View Post
this question has been covered plenty of times before. do a search and youll find your answer.
I know that the 58 is just the 57 but with a grill mesh and a windscreen, but what i'm asking is if there's any audible difference between a 58 and a 57 with the windscreen adaption. i.e. does the difference between different forms of windscreen create a noticeable difference in sound.

Has this subject been covered plenty of times? (rhetorical question). I don't think so.
Old 20th November 2009
Here for the gear

For studio vocals you'll probably want to use a windshield/pop filter on either one anyways.
They are not the same, the 58 is a little flatter and has a more extended low freq response which is probably one of the reasons you'll see more singers using this live rather than a 57.
But as Dusty said it's best if you manage to actually compare them yourself and sing on both if you'll be using it mainly for your voice.
For studio vocals I'd try to spend just a little more and go for an entry level condenser tho

Last edited by Javier Quesada; 20th November 2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: misspelled
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

I humbly disagree with Javier on this matter. I would rather use a 57/58 than a cheap condenser all day. Not that price is everything but I completely avoid microphones made in China. I have had much better success with dynamics in this price range. YMMV
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

The grill mesh does make it sound different than the plasticky thing. Rule of thumb: if you like the proximity effect, go for the 58. You can still unscrew the mesh grille to get pretty close to the 57 sound.
Old 23rd November 2009
Here for the gear

If you own those mics already then you should probably disregard this, but if you are deciding whether to buy a 57or 58, I would say neither. I use the Electro-Voice ND 767. The sound difference is night and day in comparison to a 57 and 58. For an extra 20 or 30 dollars, it is a crystal clear microphone. The sm 57 and 58 to me, sound a bit muffled and very mid heavy. The 767 is built like a condenser(but does not require phantom power). Give it a shot. I guarantee you will hear the difference.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear