The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
About to buy KRK rp6 G2 to replace Event TR5 monitors
Old 19th November 2009
About to buy KRK rp6 G2 to replace Event TR5 monitors

Hey Guys,

I've searched the forums here about KRK Roket Powered RP6 monitors and found most reviews to be favorable. It seems that people either love them or hate them though. I've also searched for how these compare to Events, particularly the TR series, and didn't come up with anything.

I have owned and loved a pair of Event TR5 monitors for the last 7 years or so. I've really loved these monitors. I'm looking to replace them now as one of the woofer/midrange drivers has a bit of an issue. It's not fully blown, but it rattles at loud volumes with bass heavy content. I think they were blown during a bass tracking session about a year ago when we cranked them up too high. They've still been fine to mix through as the cone buzzing only occurs at loud volumes, louder than I like to mix at anyway. It will also buzz like crazy if I play a sub bass sine wave through it even at moderately high volume levels. I've held off replacing them as I am quite fond of them and they still sound fine, even in the low end, at volumes I like to work at.

I'm now at the point where I want to replace them. Unfortunately, Event no longer makes the TR line and I can't get any used over here in Beijing. I found a good deal on the KRK's budget Rokit RP G2 series here in the city. It probably also helps that they're made here. Most reviews seem good, but I don't want to get them if they're going to be a step down from my Event TR5s. In that case I'd rather wait and get something better.

I'm not looking for something that's a huge upgrade from my TR5s, just something on a similar level but not worse, if you know what I mean. I don't have the budget for genelecs or adams this year. TBH, If it weren't for the blown driver, I'd be quite content to stay with my TR5s for a long time. I wouldn't mind just a little more bottom end though.

Any experience with how the Rokits RP6 G2s compare with the TR5s?

I'm going to go back to that shop for some demoing. I might even bring my tr5s with me for a direct comparison. The only thing is that the floor there is quite noisy as the shop is open to a large market. I'm afraid I won't be able to judge them well there.

Last edited by Superfly76; 19th November 2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
Hey Guys,
I'd be quite content to stay with my TR5s for a long time. I wouldn't mind just a little more bottom end though.

You'll get less bottom end with the KRK's and less truer high end and mids. For the same price as the RP6 you can get the JBL LSR2325P which to my ears are better than both. Don't overlook these.
Old 19th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
You'll get less bottom end with the KRK's and less truer high end and mids. For the same price as the RP6 you can get the JBL LSR2325P which to my ears are better than both. Don't overlook these.
Thanks for the feedback. If the rp6s aren't a step up, then I'll probably stick with what I have.

I'll check out the JBLs but I've never been too impressed with their monitors. I love their active loudspeakers and stage monitors though. I guess I don't like the JBL sound for my studio monitors. I'll give them a try though, they might surprise me.

I wish Event still made their old lines of monitors. I think they're pretty much a new company since Rode bought them out.
Old 19th November 2009
Lives for gear

Would it be possible (with your budget) to get into the VXT line? You'll be much more happy with those than with the RPg2's.

Even the VXT4's would do in a pinch. (and if your room is well treated acoustically, you can eventuall add a sub if you need the low end)
Old 20th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh View Post
Would it be possible (with your budget) to get into the VXT line? You'll be much more happy with those than with the RPg2's.

Even the VXT4's would do in a pinch. (and if your room is well treated acoustically, you can eventuall add a sub if you need the low end)

Thanks man,

My room is well treated. I got into room acoustics a lot 5 years ago thanks to Ethan Winer's site. Man he has a lot of good info there. I've got a lot of broadband traps covering maybe 65% to 70% of the room. I also have a few diffusers and a bit of bare wall for some live feel. I've pretty much removed all standing waves and comb filtering issues.

How would the VXT4s without a sub compare to my event tr5s?

Honestly, I'd be a bit nervous to go down in driver size. I was hoping to go up to a 6" or 7" driver for a little more definition in the low end. If the VXT4s are solid though, I'll try to find a shop here in Beijing that carries them to check them out in person.

I'm also open to other monitor suggestions for replacing my TR5s. I'm not stuck on KRK. I was just considering these as I found a good price on them. It sounds like I wouldn't be to happy with the rockits though.
Old 20th November 2009
Actually, I think I'll try calling Event/Rode support to see about getting a replacement driver. I really love these monitors, and if I can keep using them for now, that would rock. Then later on down the road, I could choose to upgrade to something like the Opal or some high end Adams if I want.
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Yeah, honestly i don't know how they would compare to your Events... but i do know how they compare to the rp's.
I have the Rp8g2's and they are on the way out the door. Though i really don't feel comfortable recommending any monitor, as it's more of a personal prefrence thing... >>but i can tell you you'll get alot more clarity out of the VXT line compared to the RP line.

Go try 'em out somewhere if you can. Side by side, the difference is clear.
If you can sport a bit more $$ you can move up to one of the bigger models, but then again, there's alot more options available once you get into that price point.. and any suggestions may change depending on the price.

But for the price the VXT 4's are a steal IMO, if not a bit shy on the low end extention.
Old 20th November 2009
AwwDeOhh

How do you find the low end compares between the 4" and the 8" low mid drivers between those 2.

I'm just afraid of a 4" being too small.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's what she said!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
AwwDeOhh

How do you find the low end compares between the 4" and the 8" low mid drivers between those 2.

the VXT's?
KRK Systems - Monitors, subwoofers, speakers, monitoring applications, room perfect technology

Well, as per the company's own spec sheet:

the freq. response between the speakers
  • VXT4's: 59Hz - 20kHz +/- 2dB
  • VXT 6's: 49Hz - 22kHz +/-1.5dB
  • VXT 8's: 37Hz - 22kHz +/-1.5dB
*it's not that you won't hear anything below that, it's that it rolls off DB-wise very heavily after the cutoff point.

(the RP6's are stated at 49Hz - 20kHz (+/- 1.5 db)

Sure you'll get a bit lower frequency extention by getting a bigger woofer, but you'll get alot more clarity by moving up a model line.

I've found the RP line to be not a bad starter kit, but you'll definately outgrow them... and i don't know how they stack up to your current set--as i've not heard them personally.

You can always add a sub later if you're missing out on the low end.. but you can't add clarity later tho! heh

I would suggest listening to any monitor you're thinking of in person, if you get the chance! Don't take my word alone!
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I have owned and loved a pair of Event TR5 monitors for the last 7 years or so. I've really loved these monitors.

Not too familiar with the TR5s, but I'm familiar with the Ps6's and the Event series.

I would say KRK's are VERY different from all Events I've heard. If you like the Events, maybe don't switch. I personally would take KRKs over Events any day, but I have a friend who feels exactly the opposite. He has the 20/20s and the Rockit 8 in his studio and he uses the Events over the KRKs.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

i have krk rp6s on my setup, and ive always been pretty impressed with them. sure people talk a lot of smack on them, especially the yellow cabinet ones (which happen to be the ones i have) but they really sound pretty freakin' good for the price.
Old 3rd August 2010
This thread is ages old, but I thought I'd post back an update on my situation. I finally heard back from support at Rode/Event Electronics. They have replacement 5" woofer/midrange drivers for my TR5 monitors in stock. I ordered them and they should be here by Friday! I'm excited that I can still use my trusty TR5 monitors.

I have another thing I'd like some feedback on though. I've been thinking of getting a sub to add to my Event TR5 monitors. Event carried a sub that went with these years ago. They no longer make them and no one carries the old sub models in China. I would of course like to find a sub that is a good match to these. I don't need earth shattering lows.

I just want a bit more accuracy in the deep low end. I do stuff for TV and video. a few times I've played back my mixes in theatre systems that have massive subs and I've caught some LF rumble that I couldn't hear on my TR5s. I probably won't use the sub all the time though. It would be very good to have an accurate one for checking my final mixes.

My initial thoughts are that the Yamaha SW10 would be a good match for the Event TR5 monitors. The SW10 is designed for the Yamaha MSP range, specifically the MSP7 and MSP5. The MSP series of monitors sound very similar to the Event Tuned Reference series to my ears.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear other suggestions for a sub to match my TR5 monitors.

Edit: I decided to start a new thread for the discussion of a sub to match tr5 monitors. That thread is here: Advice concerning picking a sub for Event TR5 monitors

Last edited by Superfly76; 3rd August 2010 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
This thread is ages old, but I thought I'd post back an update on my situation. I finally heard back from support at Rode/Event Electronics. They have replacement 5" woofer/midrange drivers for my TR5 monitors in stock. I ordered them and they should be here by Friday! I'm excited that I can still use my trusty TR5 monitors.

I have another thing I'd like some feedback on though. I've been thinking of getting a sub to add to my Event TR5 monitors. Event carried a sub that went with these years ago. They no longer make them and no one carries the old sub models in China. I would of course like to find a sub that is a good match to these. I don't need earth shattering lows.

I just want a bit more accuracy in the deep low end. I do stuff for TV and video. a few times I've played back my mixes in theatre systems that have massive subs and I've caught some LF rumble that I couldn't hear on my TR5s. I probably won't use the sub all the time though. It would be very good to have an accurate one for checking my final mixes.

My initial thoughts are that the Yamaha SW10 would be a good match for the Event TR5 monitors. The SW10 is designed for the Yamaha MSP range, specifically the MSP7 and MSP5. The MSP series of monitors sound very similar to the Event Tuned Reference series to my ears.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear other suggestions for a sub to match my TR5 monitors.

Edit: I decided to start a new thread for the discussion of a sub to match tr5 monitors. That thread is here: Advice concerning picking a sub for Event TR5 monitors
SW10 would be a good bet if you can't get the matched one.

As to the original thread, I have RP6 G2 as a second pair. I couldn't use them by themselves, very lacking in detail. I use them in conjunction with Yamaha HS50s... which I picked up a lot cheaper and are far more detailed.. but seriously lacking in bass.

It's quite helpful to have two complete opposites like this I find. But you'd need to move up to an 8" cone to confidently deal with sub bass.
Old 15th September 2010
Here for the gear

Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Best advice here in my opinion thus far.
Old 29th July 2015
Here for the gear

I have a pair of tr5s only ever played on a key board they r in excellent condition if you're looking to buy still what would you pay for a pair
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear