The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
seventh circle T15?
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

The first were the Shure ksm 141s in as spaced omnis 40cm apart through the SCA T15s. The second were the Beyer MC930s in NOS through SCA C84s. The Beyers have a more pronounced presence lift than the Shures, but the preamps also have their own thing going on. This was actually the first time I used the T15s but I've had a bit of time on the C84s. To my ear, the C84s have a greater sense of depth - you get a really good sense of the space. The T15s, on the other hand, have a nice warmth to the sound. I'm glad I have both.
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

maybe its because you have more experience with the c84. im not saying the t15 sounded like a bad take at all. however thr c84 just seemed more pleasing to hear
Old 13th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statixx View Post
maybe its because you have more experience with the c84. im not saying the t15 sounded like a bad take at all. however thr c84 just seemed more pleasing to hear
Uh.... it was different mics too. Not a fair comparison at all imho...
Old 29th December 2009
Gear Maniac

I did qualify the post by saying "don't know how helpful this comaparison will be..."

In any case, here is another look at how the two preamps compare. The guitar was recorded using a matched pair of Beyer MC 930s about 18 inches away from the 12th fret. Mic 1 went through a C84, Mic two went through a T15. The mics were about 1.5 inches apart - as close as I could get them.
Attached Files

01-C84-091228_1514.mp3 (1.05 MB, 453 views)

02-T15-091228_1514.mp3 (1.05 MB, 455 views)

Old 12th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey Rmaier, those t15 sound freaking awesome for the price. I was wondering - your room is very silent. I can hear you breathe.

Was it a dedicated tracking room, or was it a home project studio? Or, ... could you describe the room (computer in it? Monitors in it?) In other words, how did you get it so darn silent?!
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Maniac

The T15s are a great utility pre and a fabulous bargain to boot. I've since had the chance to use them on several projects that have gone to disc and both me and my clients have been quite happy with the results.

The samples from my older post were just thrown together quickly in my basement TV room late at night. Its quiet and well insulated, but not particularly flattering for the guitar. The room is about 12ft by 16ft with 8ft ceilings and a laminate floor. The computer and rack were in the next room and the furnace was off.
Old 13th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your quick reply, cause the post i commented on i realised was made in 2009. Haha, just saw that .
But yeah, ok, so I guess I'll have to reconsider placing my computer (i mix itb) in the adjacent room in my house.

However, when I start thinking about it: How do you manage with all the cables? I mean, my display cable won't be long enough, my keyboard cable won't be long enough, my mouse cable won't be long enough, my firewire interface cable won't be long enough,.... you know? How did you manage all that?

Cheers!
Old 15th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Better to resurrect an old thread than to clutter up the board, I suppose. Just the same, I was pretty surprised to see this one surface again after so long.

In answer to your post, I would strongly encourage you to keep your recording room isolated from your computer and other gear. It's definitely worth the bit of extra trouble in keeping your audio tracks free of extraneous noise.

I use a laptop, so I'm able to set levels with the computer in tracking room and then move it into the adjacent room when recording. I've also set levels with the computer in the other room by doing a few trial runs to find the optimal level. Fortunately the stuff that I do is pretty straightforward - no real multi-tracking involved. I just press "record" and edit all of the junk out later. Since I don't really need a monitor feed, the only cables I run between rooms are for the mics.
Old 19th May 2011
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaier View Post
I did qualify the post by saying "don't know how helpful this comaparison will be..."

In any case, here is another look at how the two preamps compare. The guitar was recorded using a matched pair of Beyer MC 930s about 18 inches away from the 12th fret. Mic 1 went through a C84, Mic two went through a T15. The mics were about 1.5 inches apart - as close as I could get them.

Very interesting. The C84 definitely had a little more oomph to it, I was able to identify it 8 times out of 10 in a blind comparison. Any chance you could do something similar with a j99 vs c 84 (if you have a j99)? Thanks so much for taking the time to set this up, even if it was 2 years ago
Old 19th May 2011
Deleted f25ebd2
By oomph I guess I meant that the transients had more impact, and the bass was a little bit fuller. By comparison, the t15 sounds slightly compressed. This is the first chance I've had to get any kind of sense of the effect of discrete vs. IC design topology on a sound. Very cool!
Old 19th May 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
By oomph I guess I meant that the transients had more impact, and the bass was a little bit fuller. By comparison, the t15 sounds slightly compressed. This is the first chance I've had to get any kind of sense of the effect of discrete vs. IC design topology on a sound. Very cool!
agreed +1
Old 19th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
agreed +1
The C84 is not discrete. It takes three Burr Brown OPA2604 (integrated circuits).
Old 19th May 2011
Deleted f25ebd2
oh...

Wellllll... At least I know what the difference between a t15 and c84 is now in terms of sonics...
Old 19th May 2011
Deleted f25ebd2
Actually, looking at pictures, the C84 just looks more complicated than the t15, but not very different in terms of types of components. I wish I knew more about what was going on to cause the sonic differences
Old 19th May 2011
Deleted f25ebd2
Maybe it has more gain stages, so each one has to work less?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear